Author Topic: Fruitawoodchunks Question  (Read 3254 times)

raymillsus

Fruitawoodchunks Question
« on: October 19, 2017, 07:10:59 PM »
I am looking at getting the upickum pack. 50lbs. I know I want Cherry as one of the options. But do I get Sweet Cherry or wild cherry?

2 of the sites that are reccomended. 1 says Orchard wood is best and 1 says wild is best. Any thoughts here. I mean is there a difference and if there is which is better?

Thanks.
-Ray
Haymarket Va
SI #3
Tec Sterling 2 Infrared Grill
USN 1988-1998 Medically discharged.
Biker at heart, I ride for abused children
Great BBQ is a passion.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Fruitawoodchunks Question
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 08:59:09 PM »
I would ask the folks at fruit wood.  Surely they have experimented as well as having documented feedback that should help yu in your choice. Either that or give both a try.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

raymillsus

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 06:24:00 PM »
There site says the reccomend the Orchard cherry and the other Smokilishous or what ever it is says Wild is better. I just thought someone here would know as well. :)
-Ray
Haymarket Va
SI #3
Great BBQ is a passion.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 08:36:14 PM »
I have bought the wild cherry from smokinlicious, and it is good. I think the differences might be subtle. Some things I've heard is that Wild Cherry can have a more bitter taste. I think that's nonsense (and so do a lot of other people). Others say you should not smoke with orchard wood since the trees might have been treated with various chemicals over the years. I don't worry about this too much. I think you will find half of the people say one thing, and half say the other. If you are ordering from Fruitawood, then I would get the one they like best, which is the orchard or sweet cherry. I don't hear many negative opinions about orchard cherry.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 09:16:21 PM »
I'm wondering if "wild cherry" is the equivalent of a tart cherry or what we use as a baking cherry versus a sweet cherry as what we get at the fruit stand to eat fresh?

Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

SconnieQ

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 10:17:33 PM »
I'm wondering if "wild cherry" is the equivalent of a tart cherry or what we use as a baking cherry versus a sweet cherry as what we get at the fruit stand to eat fresh?

I may be wrong, but the I think fruit from wild cherry trees is small, and not really used in the mainstream food chain, and is mostly used for making jams or jellies, or flavoring things. The tree can get very tall.
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

raymillsus

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 01:09:07 PM »
Put this reply on the wrong post.

Thank you for all the replies. I have not been on lately but I am recovering from an injury. I ordered the 50lb you pick um pack. I got Peach, pecan, hickory and Regular Cherry. That should last me a bit. I read that Turkey Peach, Pecan, Cherry are a great mix for Thanksgiving. I am loving this Smoker Everyone touted my BBQ before the only difference now is they Rave about it. Having a Kegerator gives me plenty of beer for the loaf pans too. :)
-Ray
Haymarket Va
SI #3
Great BBQ is a passion.

raymillsus

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 01:44:53 PM »
Put this reply on the wrong post.

Thank you for all the replies. I have not been on lately but I am recovering from an injury. I ordered the 50lb you pick um pack. I got Peach, pecan, hickory and Regular Cherry. That should last me a bit. I read that Turkey Peach, Pecan, Cherry are a great mix for Thanksgiving. I am loving this Smoker Everyone touted my BBQ before the only difference now is they Rave about it. Having a Kegerator gives me plenty of beer for the loaf pans too. :)

Ok so one thing. The #50 box is truely alot of wood. And I am not sure where I am going to be able to store it. the box is about 18x18 or 20x20. Good size box. It is divided into 4 sections and and filled amost to the top on each of them. Can't wait to use some of this wood. the wood feels damp. It is certainly not just a weekend smoke. This could easily last the average person a year of smoking. I am looking for about 6-8 months. I smoke something about 2 times a week.
-Ray
Haymarket Va
SI #3
Great BBQ is a passion.

SconnieQ

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 09:52:37 PM »
Ok so one thing. The #50 box is truely alot of wood. And I am not sure where I am going to be able to store it. the box is about 18x18 or 20x20. Good size box. It is divided into 4 sections and and filled amost to the top on each of them. Can't wait to use some of this wood. the wood feels damp. It is certainly not just a weekend smoke. This could easily last the average person a year of smoking. I am looking for about 6-8 months. I smoke something about 2 times a week.

Yeah, 50 pounds is a lot for these smokers. Considering you might average about 5 ounces per smoke, that comes to 160 smokes (so about 3 smokes per week if you want to use it up in a year). If you have a vacuum sealer, you can vacuum seal it into manageable sized bags (to retain the moisture), open bags as you go, and it will last a lot longer.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide