Author Topic: St. Louis Cut Spares - By Mistake  (Read 3025 times)

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
St. Louis Cut Spares - By Mistake
« on: October 01, 2017, 09:18:29 AM »
Ran into Costco to pick up a package of baby back ribs for my smoke today and when I started to prep them last night noticed that something didn't look right.  Well, I brought home a very meaty looking pack of St. Louis cut spare ribs.  I guess I just have to account for the little extra time and enjoy.  They look outstanding out of the package so looking forward to dinner tonight, even if it isn't the baby backs that I was anticipating. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

JustChillin

Re: St. Louis Cut Spares - By Mistake
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 09:26:38 AM »
Looks like you will be having a really good Sunday dinner. Enjoy!
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

raymillsus

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 07:21:16 AM »
St Louis style is all I buy. I love the meaty ribs.
-Ray
Haymarket Va
SI #3
Tec Sterling 2 Infrared Grill
USN 1988-1998 Medically discharged.
Biker at heart, I ride for abused children
Great BBQ is a passion.

shrews824

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 08:11:46 AM »
I'm going to get down on some St. Louis Style this weekend I think.  Can't wait.  3-2-1 method for me this time.
Scott
Hardinsburg, KY
Smokin'-It Model #2
Beautiful wife and daughter that are my world.

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 10:35:54 PM »
Figure on more time, personally I do 2 3 1 +   The smoke on these machines let out early.   Foil wrap with honey at bottom and brown sugar.   At 2 hour mark.    Take out after a few more hours and baste with sauce for another hour
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 10:57:53 PM »
My spares last weekend were 3-3-.5.  My smoke temp was 200 and my foil wrap temp was 250.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 11:01:15 PM by SuperDave »
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

40 caliber

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 03:17:45 PM »
My spares last weekend were 3-3-.5.  My smoke temp was 200 and my foil wrap temp was 250.

wow dave. long time.   obviously you think it makes a difference. How so? it it more tender? are you going for some chew or until the bones fall out on their own  :)

there is no wrong way to smoke a rib!
Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

raymillsus

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 08:38:41 AM »
One thing I noticed is with this smoker and a dish of beer.... I mean liquid, You can just let them go at 225 for 6 hrs and never open them and they are amazing. the moisture this thing keeps in it is amazing.
-Ray
Haymarket Va
SI #3
Great BBQ is a passion.

JustChillin

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 09:19:32 AM »
Ray, I agree with your post. I generally follow the method of opening the door twice (once to put the meat in and once to take it out). Then I wrap it for an 2-5 hour rest in a cooler.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

raymillsus

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 08:49:39 AM »
justchillin, Thanks I have never FTC'd my ribs before I usually just wrap them in tinfoil for about 30 min. I may have to try your method.
-Ray
Haymarket Va
SI #3
Great BBQ is a passion.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2017, 12:58:25 PM »
One thing I noticed is with this smoker and a dish of beer.... I mean liquid, You can just let them go at 225 for 6 hrs and never open them and they are amazing. the moisture this thing keeps in it is amazing.

+2 This is the only way that I smoke ribs. The day I bought my #3 was the last day I will ever go through the hassle of wrapping ribs.

I smoke St Louis Cut ribs 90% of the time as they are my personal favorite. Typically the St Louis Cut ribs go 6-7 hours at 225 and my Baby backs go 5-6 hours at 225.

I usually serve sans sauce, but if I do add sauce I just place the sauced ribs on cookie sheets and broil in my oven until the sauce caramelizes. I do it this way because my cookie sheets are way easier to clean up then baked on sticky sauce on my smoker racks.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.