Author Topic: Thanksgiving Smoked Turkey - A Reference From All, For All!  (Read 43579 times)

CUTiger80

Re: Thanksgiving Smoked Turkey - A Reference From All, For All!
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2015, 11:08:50 AM »
Has anyone tried covering the breast with cheese cloth to help maintain moisture, get good color and crisp the skin?  I just ordered some poultry rub & injection from Bill Cannon at Real Texas BBQ Rub.  He mentioned in his email covering with cheese cloth.  I am planning to do a couple of 6.5 lb. breasts, since we only like the white meat.
Also, I bought fresh bone-in breasts at the local grocery that appear to be in a brine mixture (Jenny-O is the brand I think).  My buddy has smoked these before and said he did not brine and they came out moist.  Just wondering what you guys think.
Ravel
BSEE 1980 Clemson University
“Don't let your happiness depend on something that you may lose.” C.S. Lewis

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2015, 05:27:01 PM »
Has anyone tried covering the breast with cheese cloth to help maintain moisture, get good color and crisp the skin? 

I used to use this technique all the time, when I only roasted turkeys in the oven.  I would soak it in melted butter before applying to the breast.  It doesn't promote color and crispy skin, just shields the breast from the heat a little longer.  You still have to remove it, toward the end, to brown the breast.

....and that was the last time I used this.  Now that I only smoke turkeys in the SI, it is totally unnecessary.  Especially if you brine, a 250 smoker won't dry the breast meat.  Wasted effort, in my opinion.  Lazy Q turkey for me! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

S and M

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2015, 04:57:18 PM »
I bought a small (12 lb) frozen turkey from Kroger.  The package says "seasoned with up to 8% seasoning to insure juiciness."  My plan was to brine overnight, stuff it w/ carrots, onions, orange slices, inject it with a non sodium mix and then cook at 235 to an IT of 165, using 3 oz of apple.   Closer inspection of the lane reveals 230mg of sodium in the seasoning.   Should I still brine?  Interested in some opinions.

Thanks
HAPPY Thanksgiving to all
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 05:36:16 PM by S and M »
Steve
Arizona
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2015, 06:27:06 PM »
I bought a small (12 lb) frozen turkey from Kroger.  The package says "seasoned with up to 8% seasoning to insure juiciness."  My plan was to brine overnight, stuff it w/ carrots, onions, orange slices, inject it with a non sodium mix and then cook at 235 to an IT of 165, using 3 oz of apple.   Closer inspection of the lane reveals 230mg of sodium in the seasoning.   Should I still brine?  Interested in some opinions.

Thanks
HAPPY Thanksgiving to all

I just put a 8%, 14 lb bird in the bath for an overnight soak.  I don't think injection is necessary, after brining.  I would also recommend smoking at 250, not 235.  Poultry doesn't need low and slow, and 250 works great.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Mike

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2015, 06:29:22 PM »
I Found this from Jeff Phillps web site, hope it helps clear up some of the brining questions about store bought turkeys ??.......
*****Can I Brine a Store-bough Turkey?
Some folks will tell you to not brine a store bought turkey but, for the life of me, I am not sure why not. I have been brining store purchased turkeys for many years and some of them with as much as 12% solution added and it is NEVER too salty. I am not a big “salt” guy so I would not like it or recommend it if it wasn’t good.

The process they do at the factory does not result in a salty turkey.. not even faintly so. The brining you do at home does a much better job and if you follow my instructions of using 1 cup of kosher salt to 1 gallon of water for an overnight (10-12 hour) brine, it will be a more juicy, moist and tasty bird than it can ever be otherwise.

My recommendation is that you try to find a fresh, no solution added turkey if possible. If you can’t find that, then shoot for a turkey that has 8% or less solution added.

Once you do it one time, you will most likely never eat an non-brined turkey again.
Mike Z. Lincoln University, PA
#2 and Weber Char.

DivotMaker

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2015, 07:29:42 PM »
I Found this from Jeff Phillps web site, hope it helps clear up some of the brining questions about store bought turkeys ??.......
Some folks will tell you to not brine a store bought turkey but, for the life of me, I am not sure why not. I have been brining store purchased turkeys for many years and some of them with as much as 12% solution added and it is NEVER too salty. I am not a big “salt” guy so I would not like it or recommend it if it wasn’t good.

The process they do at the factory does not result in a salty turkey.. not even faintly so. The brining you do at home does a much better job and if you follow my instructions of using 1 cup of kosher salt to 1 gallon of water for an overnight (10-12 hour) brine, it will be a more juicy, moist and tasty bird than it can ever be otherwise.

My recommendation is that you try to find a fresh, no solution added turkey if possible. If you can’t find that, then shoot for a turkey that has 8% or less solution added.

Once you do it one time, you will most likely never eat an non-brined turkey again.

+1!
Tony from NW Arkansas

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2015, 01:02:22 AM »

+1!

+2! I have always brined the "solution added" turkeys, and they have never been too salty.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Tightywhitey

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2018, 08:50:33 AM »
I inject my turkey with Cajun butter injectable marinade 12 hours before smoking.  I put a cut up onion in the cavity and sprinkle Cajun seasoning on the turkey.  I only use hickory.
Tightywhitey from New Orleans
Smokin-it Model #2

Duke0486

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2020, 12:07:32 PM »
Some things turkey newbies (especially those responsible for putting the turkey on the table for a big gathering this year!) I think would be great to know:

1. What accessories/gear would be a good idea to get for our first turkey smoke?
No special equipment required, other than a brining container big enough for a turkey, should you choose to brine.

2. Is there a rule of thumb we should use for smoking time- is it purely time per lb of bird?  Do we need to build in oven or resting time before serving?  Want to plan out the cooking schedule and definitely don't want to keep the folks waiting at the table while hovering over the smoker yelling "Just a little longer!"  (Divot: 13H brine, 4H chill in fridge + about 4 @ 275 = about 21H total)
Just like any smoke, plan out your prep time, and cook time.  If you allow 5 hours on a 14 lb bird, you'll be fine.  If it's done early, just wrap it in foil and keep in a cooler (like pork butts or briskets).  I like to let turkey rest for 30 minutes, under a foil tent, before slicing.

3. What kinds of bird would you recommend?  Fancy heritage vs. butterball vs wild?  Brine or no brine?  Marinade? (Soy from Greg's link worked great).  Fresh or frozen?  Does it make a difference?
Any bird will do, but it's great to get a fresh one, that's not injected (if possible).  If you get a frozen Butterball (or Honeysuckle White, or any other "store brand," check the amount of solution added.  If it's only 3-4%, brining is fine).  Wild turkey is a much different animal than a domestic, commercially-produced,  white.  Some people don't like wild turkey, so be careful on that one.

4. Any options for 'crispy skin' once you take it out of the smoker? 
I've long since given up on crispy skin, and no longer care.  I would rather have a bird that looks great on the table, as everyone in my house discards the skin anyways.  Very difficult to get it crispy, by any method that doesn't shrink the skin and make the bird look like he's covered in tattered clothes!

5. Stuffing?  Should stuffing be cooked inside or outside the bird?   What works well and what doesn't? Divot: stuffed with onions, celery, carrot, Olive Oil + McCormick's
Never use bread-based stuffing in a smoked turkey!!!  NEVER!  It is highly unsafe, due to the low temperature used.  Bread-based stuffing should be done in a pan in the oven.  The "stuffing" I use is actually called mire poix, and is a mix of aromatic veggies and fruit.  Aside from onions, celery and carrots, I also add lemon slices or apples.  These are things that will not grow bacteria at low temp, but add an incredible amount of flavor to the meat!  I also find stuffing with mire poix helps the bird cook more evenly, and stable.
6. Temps, preferred wood?  (Divot: 250, 3 oz Cherry for a 14 lb)
Wood smoke flavor is subjective.
  I like cherry best on poultry, but also use straight hickory, cherry/hickory, maple and oak.  Just me, though...you have to find what you like.7. Bird location in the smoker (top, bottom, middle?) and should we be flipping or turning around at some point? 
Like any other meat, always place as high as possible.  No need to flip/turn/etc.  Set it breast-side up on the highest rack, put your probe in the middle of the breast meat, and smoke it.  Remove at 165....easy peasy!

Sorry for all the detailed questions but I have a feeling I'm not the only one with a first Thanksgiving with a smoked turkey request... tons of information on the boards but scattered here and there. 

If you have other thanksgiving related ideas (planning schedule, recommended sides to smoke with the bird, etc.) please share!

Turkey breasts cook faster than turkey thighs.  Divot recommends, "put your probe in the middle of the breast meat, and smoke it."  Using this method, has anyone run into an issue with the breast being done but the thigh is undercooked?  If yes, how do you solve this issue?

Thanks!
Scott
Scott from Grand Rapids, Michigan
SI 3D

SabreHoss74

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2022, 10:49:24 PM »
Thank you for all this info.
I'm hosting a large gathering this Thanksgiving and am planning to smoke 2 spatchcocked, 12-pound bird turkeys on my analog Model 3. Looking for tips on timing, temp and rack placement. Thanks.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2022, 11:49:15 PM »
I do not smoke any kind of poultry although many folks do.  One thing to be aware of is that the skin will not be crisp as the smoke temp is not high enough.  For tips, visit the poultry section or search for smoked turkey.  I think you will find all the info you are looking for.
And welcome to the forum.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives