Author Topic: Bitter flavor  (Read 9380 times)

mertzer13

Re: Bitter flavor
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2019, 08:26:20 AM »
Tom,
For me it just came down to taste - and I think the preservative aspects of the nitrates added to the Mortons product is a piece of mind if it sits in the fridge for three days.  I think it is actually part sugar too, so it is not truly 1C salt to 2C brown sugar and I felt it tasted a bit better than using kosher salt.  I have used both, and the difference is likely not perceivable.  I do alot of jerky as well and so I use the tender quick for that and have it in the house.

And...Yes, once I dry brine the fish, it cover it with plastic wrap to keep air out and refrigerate for 12-24h.  It seems the longer I cure the saltier the fish gets.  12h for thin pieces and 24 for thicker.  Good luck!

tomd8

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2019, 08:50:54 AM »
Got it.  Thank you.
Tom from New York
SmokinIt #3 analog, Masterbuilt analog, Little Chief

Scold

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2019, 03:31:31 PM »
@mertzer13
One thing you might want to try is equilibrium brining. It makes it impossible to over-salt your meat regardless of how long you leave it in the brine.

Here’s a link about it:  http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1504.0

crashmeister

« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2020, 02:36:39 PM »
Mertzer13 - Thank you for the recipe.  I see you smoke at 175 and you're applying a dry brine for some number of hours presumably in the fridge.  If I may ask why use Tender Quick curing salt and not plain Kosher salt?  Is bacteria the concern or some flavor or texture preference?

I read somewhere to only use canning/pickling salt. Regular salt has iodine and possibly something else in it which is not good for brining.

I have ordered a #2. Been using a Big Chief for years. My current method for Salmon is:
Slit the skin every 2" and use a 50/50 mix of canning salt and raw sugar plus garlic powder to taste. Brine for 24 hours, rinse, lightly pat with paper towel and let dry on the rack for 1 hour before putting it into the smoker.
I smoke for 1 hour then glaze with a mix of finely chopped ginger and honey (made the night before). Smoke for 1 more hour, add more glaze and then return to the smoker (no new chips) for another 90 minutes.
When I take it out of the smoker I put it in the freezer for rapid cooling (until just warm), then vacuum seal and put in the fridge. Lasts for months with no issues. My family loves it.
One final thought, we often have it straight from the smoker as an entree for supper. If eating it hot, I only brine for 4-6 hours.

Cheers,
Craig from Atlanta, GA
-------------------------
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool !