Author Topic: Dry Cured and Cold Smoked  (Read 8953 times)

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Dry Cured and Cold Smoked
« on: June 20, 2014, 11:59:31 AM »
I had 4.2 pounds of venison that had been cut into strips. Average size was nearly 1 inch x 4 inch x 1/4 inch. They were cured and spiced with High Mountain Seasonings Jerky Mix. Normally I would mix my own but this was a gift and highly recommended. They meat, cure and spice were mixed and placed in a zip-lock bag for 32 hours. The meat was sorted by size then placed on three racks according to those sizes. my plan was to be able to check for dryness and pull the pieces easier, smaller jerky being done sooner.

I set the thermostat to 250 with the door open to get the element hot and smoke started. I then turned it down to 100 and closed the door and immediately ran the Jerky Drier.  This batch was cold smoked at 100 for 12 hours. I used a total of four oz of hickory chips, added a few chips every three hours. THE FIRE BOX IS HOT USE PLIERS OR CHANEL-LOCKS. I flipped the jerky over when ever the smoker was opened for adding chips.

Using chips was not my original plan, but I made the change after the first hour at 100 and little smoke coming from the hickory dowel. The dowel was removed and exchanged for chips and it worked great.

Using the low temp of 100 allowed the meat to dry and not cook, this changes taste and texture and appearance. Using a dry cure instead of a brine or marinade did not add any moisture that needed to be removed.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
Re: Dry Cured and Cold Smoked
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 07:04:47 PM »
Wow Brian,

That jerky looks great.  Your technique sounds amazing and produced great results.  I did a lot of research and there was nothing similar to your method.  Well done, your an innovator.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 12:50:12 AM »
Thanks, the family was thrilled with it. I broke out the kitchen scale and made the boys personal bags and hid the rest. I still have a few pieces left. When I said the low heat changes the taste and texture I should have said 'IMPROVES" the texture and flavor. Give it a try and let me know what you think.
- Sigmund Freud

MNGuy1959

• Every Day is a great day for smokin'
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 11:10:46 AM »
Wow Brian! 

That jerky looks amazing!!  I bought a wood chip insert, but have never used it.  I just bought the James Jerky Dryer and am looking forward to making jerky all fall.  With using wood chips, do you soak them first to avoid a fire, or do you just put the chips dry in the smoke box?

Anyway, you certainly have my mouth watering with those pictures.  Great job!
Gene from Minnesota
Proud owner of Model #2, Auber, and Jerky dryer

The worst smoking results are still better than being at the office!!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 05:06:56 PM »
After this smoke I perfected my low temp chip method. I weigh the total amount, then divide them into three piles. I pile I soak a few minutes, another 30 the other for 1hr. I keep those piles separate in the fire box, driest chips in the back and moving forward.
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 09:43:46 PM »
After this smoke I perfected my low temp chip method. I weigh the total amount, then divide them into three piles. I pile I soak a few minutes, another 30 the other for 1hr. I keep those piles separate in the fire box, driest chips in the back and moving forward.

Now THAT'S a cool idea!  Time-released smoke!  Great idea, Brian.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

MNGuy1959

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 11:58:09 PM »
I agree.  That is a great idea.  Time releasing smoke based on moisture content.  I will have to try that.  For even poultry and other smoked items, I could see that being a huge benefit of controlling the amount of smoke based on the type of meat. 

Thanks, Brian!! 
Gene from Minnesota

WeekendWarrior

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 08:06:17 PM »
I've made little tiny tin foil cup pans which I fill with water and a 1 oz chunk of wood.  It takes an hour or so for the water to evaporate and then smoke.  I call them smoke bombs.

Not sure if a small tin like a sardine can would work.
Bruce - Iowa
#2 Owner
Iowa National Guard - Retired
Computer Geek

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 08:12:47 PM »
I've made little tiny tin foil cup pans which I fill with water and a 1 oz chunk of wood.  It takes an hour or so for the water to evaporate and then smoke.  I call them smoke bombs.

Not sure if a small tin like a sardine can would work.

Another great idea for time-released smoke!  You guys are awesome!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

MNGuy1959

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 11:35:45 PM »
I agree.  What a great idea using small tin foil cup pans.   That way you get the smoker up to temp and then let the smoking process start.  Pretty cool idea, Bruce. 

Thanks!

Gene from Minnesota

paidin

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2015, 03:28:51 PM »
I am about to slice up 20 pounds of deer meat for jerky.  I will try your method of smoking at 100 degrees instead of my usual 160 degrees.  My question to you is, how long was your smoking time? It seemed like a long time and might put too much smoke on the jerky.  If you advocate such lengthy smoke times, wouldn't it be easier to use a pellet smoker to give consistent smoke while the smoker dehydrates at 100 degrees?
the SI#4 should be named "The American" because you can do everything in excess with it.  Just because you can.  'Murica!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2015, 05:28:29 PM »
I like SMOKEY jerky so I ran some the entire time. At 100 it is not pumping out like a 235 butt smoke, it is a thin trickle. When you check in the smoker the entire unit is full of smoke, it's just not billowing out.

I started periodic checks after 3 hours. I flipped all the pieces over each time I opened the smoker A few times I rotated racks. That batch of jerky was odds and ends in size so I sorted them. That way I could pull entire racks as they were dry.

You should see a big difference in texture between this and previous batches. Good luck with it.
- Sigmund Freud

paidin

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2015, 09:25:30 PM »
hmm that amzn pellet smoker might be too much smoke then, at least for the entire dry time.  How much did your chips smoke when you did this?  did they turn to white ash or did they just turn black and not ash all the way down?  I wonder if using the PID would prevent the chips from getting hot enough to burn since it would cycle on and off too often?
the SI#4 should be named "The American" because you can do everything in excess with it.  Just because you can.  'Murica!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2015, 09:36:05 PM »
As I I like smokey jerky so I don't think it can be too, much. I don't recall if they were ash or just black, but I think it was a mix, that was a bunch of smokes ago.

Taste a piece at three hours, If it is smoky enough for you stop smoking and just heat and dry it.
- Sigmund Freud