Author Topic: How to get just a hint of smoke  (Read 6749 times)

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: How to get just a hint of smoke
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2016, 01:15:06 AM »
I have the smokinlicious double filet variety box and chose cherry, hickory and maple. Sounds like those 3 would fill in the blanks nicely with what you already have. (I also asked for samples of red oak and ash.) It's quite a bit of wood considering how little these smokers use, so I have vacuum sealed it, to preserve the moisture level. It is really high quality wood.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2016, 09:42:01 AM »
Kari, I ordered the exact same box as you and the wood is awesome. I won't have to buy wood for awhile, but the cost is pretty cheap verses some of the meat cuts that I am buying. So, why would I potentially mess up an expensive piece of meat for saving a few bucks by buying big box dry kilned wood?
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Theslacker

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2016, 09:48:59 AM »
Now you folks have me thinking about getting a vacuum sealer to store wood chunks.....gee, it would be handy to seal left over hops from beer brewing also... I think I've been concerned about the recommendations on one of the wood seller's sites to either keep the wood chunks refrigerated or else they will degrade within 30 days at room temp... I'd enjoy having a large variety of different woods, but don't want to try to store them for months and months and have them go "bad" (if that's possible) quickly.
Aaron from Vermont
Beer brewing expert -  smoking newbie!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2016, 11:49:12 AM »
Now you folks have me thinking about getting a vacuum sealer to store wood chunks.....gee, it would be handy to seal left over hops from beer brewing also... I think I've been concerned about the recommendations on one of the wood seller's sites to either keep the wood chunks refrigerated or else they will degrade within 30 days at room temp... I'd enjoy having a large variety of different woods, but don't want to try to store them for months and months and have them go "bad" (if that's possible) quickly.

I resisted buying a vacuum sealer for about a year, thinking I could get by, then broke down and bought the VacMaster 140 when they had an awesome closeout price on them. Now I don't know what I did without it. I use it much more than I even thought I would.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2016, 06:58:07 PM »
Aaron, other than a digital scale, I consider a vacuum sealer the #2 essential accessory for our addiction, er, "hobby!"
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!