Author Topic: Long Smoke Times on Model #3  (Read 8730 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Long Smoke Times on Model #3
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2015, 08:07:15 PM »
Thanks, Mark, but I'm just another member trying to help, when I can.  I appreciate the compliment, though!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2015, 09:10:50 AM »
I don't think it is a bad thing to temp your pork butts I just don't feel a need.
Doing 12, 15 or 16 at a time there is no way to temp them. You run the average some will be 188 a few as high as 204 but most will be 190's. This is at work not in my SI.

It is a more relaxing way to smoke, just set it and walk away. No stall to worry over, just come back and get dinner when the timer goes off.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

JSRFrench

• International Oilfield, Biker, Barbecue & Sports
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2015, 08:51:25 PM »
Attaching a pic of a 9 1/2lb Boston Butt smoked 10 hours set on 230* after a 15 hour brine.
My cooking times are generally slightly on the low side of times mentioned & could not be happier with the results.
We generally smoke either a Roast / Turkey / Ham / Sausage weekly the past 2+ years since we purchased the Model 3.
This particular roast is a $0.98 per lb bone-in & was fabulous. Juicy & almost fork tender.
I do want to say Thanks to other posters for their recipe's & methods which I have copied.
For Holidays I family demands I smoke something & bring to occasions.
J. French

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2015, 02:12:17 PM »
Looks great, J!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Bebe

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2015, 03:30:40 PM »
Oh! one more thing ... my wood chunks burn completely to ash which it never did before.
they always did in my #3, since day 1.... i've thought this is normal.
Yes, cooking takes longer, comparing to charcoal that is. I don't have enough experience with SI but i don't see it as a fault, just the way SI works i guess..
Pete
Brooklyn, NY

Casimir

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2017, 03:22:29 AM »
    I know there haven't been any recent posts on the topic of long smoke times in the model 3, but I have to chime in anyway. I hadn't used my smoker in a long time, partly because it seemed to take an awful long time to do the job. For example, I recently smoked some knockwurst at 163 degrees and after 10 hours the internal temperature was only 144.  Even worse, there was virtually no smoke produced, and the wood in the firebox was barely singed.

Then, I had the brilliant idea to check this forum and I found Mark's (and other's) post on the droopy wood box phenomenon on the #3.  I wadded up some foil, put it under the front of the wood box to correct the droop, and smoked some kielbasa.

This time, it was perfect -- taking about four hours at 163 degrees to reach the sweet spot of 152 internal temperature.  The smoke was beautiful, just what it should have been. I'm very thankful for your advice, it helped me produce fantastic sausage, and I'm planning many other projects!

I too experienced long cooking times on my #3. Pork should on my #2 cook in 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours per pound. On the #3, I would see closer to 3 hrs. Same thing with briskets.

After investigating and consulting with Divotmaker, I discovered that the wood box on my #3 (2012? model) was drooping resulting in the bottom of the wood box resting on the heating element.

I took a brass pipe fitting about one inch in length and used that to support the front of the wood box making it the same height as the back and no longer touching the heating element. Using a Maverick 732 and the smoker unloaded, my internal temperature with the analog controller set to 250 was 288 degrees vs 257 without the brass support.

Using the support, I cooked a 6lb. bone in butt (1.5 hrs/lb @ 235), an 8lb. brisket (1.75 hr/lb.), and yesterday I cook a pair on 5lb. butts (1.75 hrs/lb.).

I just wanted  to share this experience with everyone. While I realize that is not a fix all but I would recommend that anyone thinking that their temps may be low or cooking times long, check to see if the wood box is drooping. Cooking time on my #3 and my #2 are really close! This is important because I occasionally use both the #2 and #3 for bigger parties so this makes timing easy!

I would like to thank Divotmaker for REALLY taking good care of us Smoking-It members and I for one appreciate it. Oh! one more thing ... my wood chunks burn completely to ash which it never did before.

Mark
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 03:24:39 AM by Casimir »
Casimir from North Mississippi

TX Gent

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2017, 08:37:02 AM »
Cool or should I say ... Hot Smoking success now!
John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

JSRFrench

• International Oilfield, Biker, Barbecue & Sports
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2017, 09:44:13 AM »
I too experienced long cooking times on my #3. Pork should on my #2 cook in 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours per pound. On the #3, I would see closer to 3 hrs. Same thing with briskets.

After investigating and consulting with Divotmaker, I discovered that the wood box on my #3 (2012? model) was drooping resulting in the bottom of the wood box resting on the heating element.

I took a brass pipe fitting about one inch in length and used that to support the front of the wood box making it the same height as the back and no longer touching the heating element. Using a Maverick 732 and the smoker unloaded, my internal temperature with the analog controller set to 250 was 288 degrees vs 257 without the brass support.

Using the support, I cooked a 6lb. bone in butt (1.5 hrs/lb @ 235), an 8lb. brisket (1.75 hr/lb.), and yesterday I cook a pair on 5lb. butts (1.75 hrs/lb.).

I just wanted  to share this experience with everyone. While I realize that is not a fix all but I would recommend that anyone thinking that their temps may be low or cooking times long, check to see if the wood box is drooping. Cooking time on my #3 and my #2 are really close! This is important because I occasionally use both the #2 and #3 for bigger parties so this makes timing easy!

I would like to thank Divotmaker for REALLY taking good care of us Smoking-It members and I for one appreciate it. Oh! one more thing ... my wood chunks burn completely to ash which it never did before.

Mark

I have had mine prob close to 5 years or longer & noticed the same & did a similar fix with the same results.
Generally I anticipate 16 to 18 hours for large bone-in 10-12 lb Boston Butts which I brine 24 hours & generally pull them at 188* triple wrap & set aside for 30 minutes minimum before pulling. Easy way is to push the meat with your finger.
J. French