Author Topic: Memphis Medley  (Read 3643 times)

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Memphis Medley
« on: July 06, 2014, 12:47:31 AM »
I organized the freezer and found some forgotten ribs in good condition. I mixed a batch of the Memphis Dust and prepped two racks of Baby Backs and two racks of spares. I cut the spares down, separating ribs from tips and section everything to consistent sizes for even cooking. One hour at 140 then increased to 250 for three hours.

*Dust modifications, I had no dried rosemary to grind so I substituted dried Italian seasoning. I also doubled the salt to suit our personal taste. I was surprised the bark was not sweet for the amount of sugar in the dust.

Overall the family was very happy with the results we will be doing it again. These were the best ribs I have made in my #3.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

mnsmoker

Re: Memphis Medley
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 08:50:06 AM »
They look great, the next time I do some ribs I'm going to try 1 hour at 145 then finish at 250 for 3 hours or so it's so easy with the auber alittle variation should be fun, as I write this I'm thinking baby backs and buffalo wings tonight.
Jim from Minnesota

es1025

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 11:25:54 AM »
I just set up the smoker.

1/2 hours at 175, 5.5 hours 235.

The Auber is great.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 12:12:54 AM »
I love the second pic that shows the bare rib with the meat recessed just the way you want it, fall off the bone tender. Looks like a successful smoker.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 07:36:34 PM »
Just curious, Brian - do you use mustard as a binder?
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 09:10:37 PM »
No I never have used a binder also never heard of mustard until I started reading posts here. I have always just rubbed in the rub mix an give it a touch extra. The salt in the rub the breaks down the proteins in the meat. That always worked well in the past with a stick or charcoal burner. I might need to give it a try as I have yet to have a dry crusty bark in the SI. Although there is a fine degree of separation between crusty bark and an over-dry rib.
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 09:40:28 PM »
I agree about the "fine line," Brian!  What works well, for me, is to prepare the ribs the night before (remove silver skin, trim), then rub with mustard and rub, and wrap in plastic for an overnight rest in the fridge to get very happy.  The salt in the rub seems to act as a dry brine, and flavors the meat wonderfully.  I don't add additional rub when I unwrap them the next day to smoke, I just try to not disturb the surface of the meat as much as possible.  I've brined and rubbed ribs before, but I find this method produces ribs that are just as moist, and have a great bark.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 12:19:38 AM »
Tony, I agree with you, ever since I spread a light layer of mustard and dry rub, wrapped and refrigerated over night, I've never looked back.  This method produces a great smoke, nice bark and tender on the inside. 

And for those that don't like mustard, you don't taste it on the final product. As an alternative, you can use other products as your binding agent.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

GeeBee

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 09:15:40 AM »
I use vegetable oil, especially with the Memphis Dust. As Meathead explains, a lot of the ingredients in Memphis Dust are oil soluble, giving you the good bark.
Gary in Hebron, Ohio
#2 with Auber PID and happy about it !

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 12:18:50 PM »
Well I will have to get some more ribs and try both. Thanks
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 07:21:17 PM »
That's the best way, Brian!  See what works best for you.  I'm not sure what is oil-soluble in rubs (although I do know some spices are, just don't know which ones), but the flavor of the rubs I use have never suffered from the mustard treatment.  I'll have to check out what Meathead says about it!  Love the AmazingRibs site!
Tony from NW Arkansas