Author Topic: New wings recipe  (Read 2259 times)

will615

New wings recipe
« on: June 23, 2019, 09:24:50 PM »
I wanted to share a new recipe/experiment that I did today. I tried a new wings recipe on the grill the other night and thought smoking the meat first would be an interesting addition. The original recipe is “Sweet and Spicy Chicken Wings” by Amy Johnson on shewearsmanyhats.com. My version is as follows: 30 wings, applied rub (I bought some B&B Chicken Scratch rub from Academy Sports and really like it) and put them in the refrig for an hour. 1.25 oz of cherry in my SI #1, temp = 235, water pan. I smoked them for 2 hours. While they were in the smoker, I mixed ¼ cup balsamic vinegar, ¼ cup honey, and ¼ cup siracha (way too much, cut in half). I moved them to the gas grill (medium heat), basting and turning them until they looked right (about 10 minutes). It’s an interesting blend of flavors that got lots of approval with my family!
Will, Nashville, TN
SI #1, Weber Smoky Mtn., Kilwell Fish Smoker, and an old New Braunfels offset smoker that makes great ribs regardless of the bad reviews!

tomd8

Re: New wings recipe
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 09:34:17 AM »
Hi Will - Wings look great and I'm certain they tasted great.  This post was great timing as I was going to post a question about wings I did that came out very dark...a few nearly black.  Looking at your post I see differences are the rub and the wood type (hickory, cherry, apple) and amount (2.3oz).  All else was the same (time, temp, water pan, final grilling to crisp skin).  Great job.
Tom from New York
SmokinIt #3 analog, Masterbuilt analog, Little Chief

will615

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 10:28:03 PM »
Tom, was the blackness caused by too much smoke or sugar in the rub or basting? As you probably know, the honey burns quickly. I love the smoky flavor but I'm finding that I can get it with less and less wood chips. I started out using 2.5 oz for wings and used 1.25 oz this time. I hope that's helpful. Good luck!
Will, Nashville, TN
SI #1, Weber Smoky Mtn., Kilwell Fish Smoker, and an old New Braunfels offset smoker that makes great ribs regardless of the bad reviews!

tomd8

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 07:49:14 AM »
Will - Thank you for the reply.  I could back off on the sugar in the rub or use a sugarless mix (salt, pepper, onion & garlic powder) and I can use less wood (1.5 oz).  That will be my next test. - Tom
Tom from New York
SmokinIt #3 analog, Masterbuilt analog, Little Chief