Author Topic: Bella-related exterior staining  (Read 1008 times)

Jim_MI

Bella-related exterior staining
« on: December 31, 2023, 06:36:52 PM »
Proud owner of a shiny new #3DW. I plan on doing a good bit of cold smoking, with my new Bella CSG. I was looking at some YouTubes about the Bellas and noticed a LOT of smoke "patina" staining on the exterior of the SI smoker they were using, all situated around and above where the  Bella smoke tube and lid vent are situated. So I am considering applying a sacrificial sheet of aluminum roof flashing to the exterior sidewall of the #3DW, just to protect the finish.

New to SI and Bella so I would really appreciate any input from Bella owners on how big of a cosmetic problem this is. And if it is a problem, are there any tried-n-true solutions yet?

TIA,  Jim
Jim, from NW Michigan
SI-3DW, Bella

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Bella-related exterior staining
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2023, 09:57:13 PM »
I cannot offer any solution.  What I can say is that any surface the smoke touches will get some form of patina.  It is easily washed off.  Youre idea about a sacrificial piece of flashing should solve all or part of your concern. I might add that a lot of new users of these smokers that rely on a compression fit rather than a door seal have voice concerns over smoke seaping out of the door.  Perfectly normal. I had the same concerns.  All is well!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus