Author Topic: iGrill went nuts  (Read 4157 times)

jdiver

iGrill went nuts
« on: August 07, 2014, 08:59:43 PM »
While my Brisket was at it's plateau of 162 all of a sudden my iGrill said, temp was now 275 for probe 1. Probe 2 was still about 160.

It wasn't a connection problem. Even on the unit itself it read p1 275. Then it started bouncing between about 250-275.

Anyone see this? Looked on their support site. Only thing I could find says damaged probe. This is only the third time I've used it. But alas I've had it for some time.
-JD-
Big Green Egg and SI2
Love Pork

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: iGrill went nuts
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 09:15:11 PM »
I've heard this complaint before about the iGrill, as well as connectivity (Bluetooth) issues.  Sounds like it could be a great device, if they work those bugs out.  Never had those kinds of problems with the Maverick ET-732.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

jdiver

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 09:30:14 AM »
This morning I ordered a Maverick 733 this morning from Amazon. Said it should be here by 9pm today.

Confirmed it is a bad probe on my iGrill. The probes feel cheap, so no surprise. I like the iGrill, love the interface and having it on my phone. But gosh, make a quality product, not one that just looks nice.

I'd really like one that works via Wi-Fi, not Bluetooth. Now if I could get my Nest Thermostat to monitor and control my Smoker:)
-JD-
Big Green Egg and SI2
Love Pork

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 10:12:06 AM »
I purchased the Maverick 732 over a year ago.  For the most part it works well, but every now and then it would not register the temps in the smoker, and last week the food probe starting giving strange readings.  I did apply some of that red high temp stuff to the connectors from the wire to the probes, but perhaps not in time.  So, I just ordered two new probes and will be sure to apply the red stuff to the probe connectors before I start using them.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 10:44:45 AM by swthorpe »
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

tbcop-is-smokin

• Proud Owner of Smokin-it #3
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 10:17:05 AM »
JD I ordered a Maverick ET-733 but I got 2 food probes and one oven probe. I like it really well. I paid an extra $10 dollars for the food oven probe. Most of the ET-733 units only come with two probes. Got it from Amazon. if you order the extra probe separately it cost $20 bucks. Thought paying an extra $10 bucks was a pretty good deal.
Tony
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 10:18:38 AM by tbcop-is-smokin »
Good Smokes comes from Happy Trees...
Protect Our Forest...
Vietnam Vet
Tony from Virginia...

jdiver

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 10:19:22 AM »
What's the 'Red Stuff'? Some kind of insulation?

It comes with two probes. Are they both meat probes, or is one an ambient air probe?
-JD-
Big Green Egg and SI2
Love Pork

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 10:43:34 AM »
I think it is called Red High Temp RTV Silicone.  Someone on the forum mentioned that this helps to seal the area where the probes and the wire coils connect to prevent moisture from getting into the connection.   Apparently moisture causes some issues with the Maverick probes.     I am not sure if this is what happened to my probes, but I am going to apply the silicone sealer as soon as the new probes arrive.  I think you can find the silicone at home depot, lowes, etc.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

jdiver

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 01:50:50 PM »
Found the Red High Temp RTV Silicone at Amazon, $6 for 3oz tube.

I can see that water was a problem with the probe that isn't working. Also they warn that it can't be used as an oven probe and to not let it touch metal. Well I did both. My 'good' iGrill probe has some strands of wife poking out. Really poorly made, IMHO.
-JD-
Big Green Egg and SI2
Love Pork

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 07:17:33 PM »
JD, you can also get high-temp RTV at any auto parts store, pretty cheap.  For no hotter than our smoker get, you can actually get away with any RTV (gasket maker) sealant.  Water is the kryptonite to our thermo probes!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

jdiver

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 05:56:35 AM »
Ordered from Amazon... It's on it's way.

Got my new Maverick 733 working as I type. Put Butt in last night. Used both Probes for meat. It's looking good at about 165 each probe. Have it set to 195.
-JD-
Big Green Egg and SI2
Love Pork