Author Topic: External Smoke Generator - What's your thoughts  (Read 45786 times)

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: External Smoke Generator - What's your thoughts
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2019, 01:30:59 AM »
Looks great!  How much for one mounted on a 4-D door shipped?

Only Steve can answer that.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

LuvMyQ

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2019, 07:22:19 PM »
Yeah, I'm a handy DIY'er, but that whole drillin' stainless steel thing may be a no starter for me.  Dang it.
Terry from Indiana
3D WIFI
Weber Performer (Kettle in a cart with a gas igniter)Formerly owned WSM 18"
Never had a gas grill
I love technology
Counting the years to retirement

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2019, 11:10:22 PM »
Yeah, I'm a handy DIY'er, but that whole drillin' stainless steel thing may be a no starter for me.  Dang it.

It's not just the stainless...  if your bit/saw catches the insulation you could completely yank it out and destroy the thermal properties of the smoker.  This seems like a bizarre design.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

EFGM

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2019, 07:17:22 AM »

It's not just the stainless...  if your bit/saw catches the insulation you could completely yank it out and destroy the thermal properties of the smoker.  This seems like a bizarre design.

Good thought and valid concern on the insulation. I’ll bet Steve can share his experience on the test model (s) he had retrofitted. Must not have been an issue or he would not be proceeding with this.

On the drilling, yes, stainless steel does take patience, and slow RPM drilling with some oil. Patience is the key. Check out Spyder Products hole saw kits. Lowe’s is a great source.

Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

Limey

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2019, 10:56:33 AM »
When I cold smoke I use an external smoke generator(Smoke Daddy Big Kahuna) and pipe the smoke down through the blowhole. No drilling required and it works great.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2019, 04:20:29 PM »
Drilling should not destroy insulation. You will lose a little when you punch through but it will be negligible if you are careful. Just push it to the side as you go through the other panel wall.

Steve has doors for all models except for the 3.5 and the 5 in stock and pre-drilled for the smoke generator. They are in limited supply right now so not listed in the site. But he can be contacted via email for a door if you want one.

The smoke generator will hold 2 lbs of pellets.   He has exceeded 7 hours of smoke. He will include 1 lb of starter pellets. The pump is included in the price for the generator.

The generator is 3 1/8 inch square and 10 inches tall. The tube is 3/4 inch diameter and extends 3 1/2 inch into the smoker.

Also,  Steve has held prices through all the trade talks but come 1 Oct 2019 you can expect prices to go up if the 25% tariff kicks in. So waiting for any specials on smokers or accessories might probe futile.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

EFGM

« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2019, 04:58:59 PM »
You know after all this time I never looked at the door to see how it was mounted. Looks like a couple of taps with a rubber mallet and its off.  Thanks for the info Dave.
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2019, 05:45:35 PM »
Lifts right off. No mallet needed.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SmokinItInfo

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2019, 07:52:24 PM »
Hello Smokin-It Nation!

Just a couple thoughts on the new smoke generator.

I did not have any issue drilling a hole thru the side of the test smoker.  I used a brand new drill bit and went very slow.   I had only a very small amount of insulation come off during the drilling process.  The doors we will offer will be drilled and a stainless steel collar will be welded on to both sides of the door for the generator tube to slide into.   This process will be done by my local machine shop.  We will also pre drill two starter holes for the (2) self tapping screws that mount to the top of the generator body to secure the generator to the smoker door.
I am hoping to have pricing for the various doors this week as I am waiting for current replacement door
 pricing.  The air pump used is a variable speed pump so you can vary the amount of smoke pushed into the smoker.  With this process you don't even need the wood box inserted in the smoker.  We actually test a generator again today and had almost 10 hours of smoke from a fully loaded generator. Approx. 2lbs.  I did tap the main body of the generator twice during the smoke to make sure no bridging of pellets happen inside the generator.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2019, 07:57:16 PM »
Sounds simple enough.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 12:03:11 AM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

martinman54

« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2019, 11:41:01 AM »
Ya, I like the idea of the stainless steel collar welded to the door (interior and exterior).  Looks like I'm just waiting for it to be posted on the website.

Scold

« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2019, 01:34:28 PM »
Ya, I like the idea of the stainless steel collar welded to the door (interior and exterior).  Looks like I'm just waiting for it to be posted on the website.

Same.  Anxiously awaiting :)

Cheezhead

« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2019, 09:44:19 PM »
So just to clarify, in temps below 40*F we can set internal temps to hold at say 60-80*F and add smoke for weeks at a time... with total control?  Will blower keep airflow going after pellets quit burning?
If ordering a brand new smoker setup are all models available ??  Would like to order soon 😎👍🏼  Thanks much for your support.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2019, 10:03:04 PM »
Not really sure what you are driving at with those low temperatures. Drying sausage? Jersey? Dehydrating?  But regarding the blower keeping air flow moving after the pellets are burned off, yes as it is a separate unit.  You can run it till it dies of old age  ;).
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Cheezhead

« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2019, 10:31:23 AM »
Old Sarge
The old school sausage makers up here in Wisconsin cold smoked at these low temperatures for say a week or longer depending on what they are doing ...hams, bacons, etc.
thanks for your input.