Author Topic: Pro 3.5WD internal circulating fan  (Read 1531 times)

Smokin-AL

Pro 3.5WD internal circulating fan
« on: December 02, 2023, 04:34:12 PM »
Loving my pro 3.5wd. I wanted to know if anyone has experimented with the internal circulating fan.  I know if I turn it on while it is still smoking, smoke seems to accelerate through the vent hole.  Im thinking maybe only use it after wood burn is completed? Im also wondering if it will cause the heating element to stay on longer?  Any thoughts or experiments are welcome.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Pro 3.5WD internal circulating fan
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2023, 11:56:32 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  As far as I can tell, you are the only member with the newest 3.5 although there are undoubtedly more out there but have not joined the forum.  So, you are, for now, on your own and your experiences will be appreciated by all.
The fan will move smoke around quicker than normal.  I guess you could call it convection smoking?
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Smokin-AL

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2023, 11:47:18 AM »
Thanks for the response. I think the convection aspect will definetly help with a full smoker.  Im wondering if it will reduce the cook time.  I will do a couple of experiments and report back!

kcobbva

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2023, 10:24:25 AM »
I experienced the same thing this past weekend doing my first smoke.  Initially I had it on low to help dry the casings when I first hung the sausage.  After 40 minutes, I started the Bellas and had forgotten to turn off the fan.  I noticed the smoke coming out of the back an hour later when I went back outside as well as some dripping was occurring.   I think I'll only use this upper fan when I am not running the smoke.  Just in the learning stretch with this new smoker, but that kind of made sense after seeing that occur.
Kevin from Northern VA

Outdoor toys:
Smokin-It 3.5 Pro
Xl Big Green Egg
Traeger 885 Ironwood

SergioG69

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2024, 05:16:05 PM »
Hi there, I?m new to the forum as well. I just ordered my 3.5WD Wifi today.I can?t wait to get it. Here is a link to a video from Eric at 2 guys and a cooler, he is a great guy and very helpful.
https://youtu.be/gE7grLQtsxo?feature=shared
Hope this helps.
Sergio
Pro Series Smoker Model #3.5DW-Digital WiFi
Kamado Joe, Big Joe III, Set up in a custom built cedar table c/w stainless steel top and drawers for all accessories.
Big Joe -  Do-Joe
Big Joe - Joe-Tisserie c/w heavy duty rotisserie motor
Custom built stainless steel charcoal spiducci bbq

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2024, 07:26:15 PM »
Sergio - Thanks for the link.  We have some members who follow that site for tips  and ideas. Enjoy your 3.5 when you get it
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Viking603

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2024, 04:15:36 AM »
Loving my pro 3.5wd. I wanted to know if anyone has experimented with the internal circulating fan.  I know if I turn it on while it is still smoking, smoke seems to accelerate through the vent hole.  Im thinking maybe only use it after wood burn is completed? Im also wondering if it will cause the heating element to stay on longer?  Any thoughts or experiments are welcome.

Al,
My fan was in the on position when it arrived and I left it there when I did my first burn and seasoning. Turned it off for jerky and then meatloaf the next day. Both turned out great. I can see using the fan to cool down the smoker after a smoking session or if you had all shelves full with jerky.