Author Topic: SUPER BOWL!!! Whatcha Cookin'???  (Read 11027 times)

RG

SUPER BOWL!!! Whatcha Cookin'???
« on: February 04, 2016, 11:07:12 AM »
Let me preface this by saying that while I am NOT a fan of either team that I am rooting for the Broncos. I am, you see, a Falcons fan and I simply cannot stomach the Panthers winning the Super Bowl, lol. My gut feeling tells me that the Panthers WILL win though, and if that is the case, then it is what it is :)

Now, the main question at hand is : What are you cooking? On your SI or other cookers, oven, microwave, etc.......

Here's what we have lined up:

What me and the Wife are making
3 Racks of Baby Backs
2 Chicken Bacon Ranch Pizzas
A Bunch of ABTs
Mini Cheeseburgers
Texas Hot Links (Smoking them today, grilling Sunday)
60-70 Cookies (Half White Chocolate Macadamia Half Chocolate Chunk) for dessert

What guests are bringing (subject to change)
Buffalo Chicken Dip
Maybe some Chicken Wings
Sausage Dip

I'll have a few Cold Ones on hand but it's mostly a BYOB deal. It should be a great night with good food and good friends! I am looking forward to it!
Jason from Conyers GA

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: SUPER BOWL!!! Whatcha Cookin'???
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 11:44:07 AM »
We have friends that host the SB party every year.  The husband fashions himself a smoker but it is all I can do not to bring the same thing that he is making so that he can know what it is supposed to taste like.  I think that I'm going to bring the wings smoked in the SI for our party contribution this year.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

RG

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 01:08:42 PM »
LOL Dave!! I've been there man. You just have to be polite and eat it but you just WANT to say something, it's tough :)

As a matter of fact, a friend of a friend (who is now my friend as well) kept hearing about the grub I was making from the friend in common. He happens to also host Team Trivia at a little watering hole and I started to attend and play trivia with the mutual friend and got to know him. He fancied himself a pretty good BBQer (as we all do, lol) and he started to size me up by telling me about the stuff he cooks. About 2 minutes into the conversation he starts talking about ribs. I asked him his technique and he said "First I remove the membrane" so we were off to a good start so far right? Then he says "I put them in a pot and boil them for 45 minutes...." I heard all I needed to hear at this point :P

So, I ended up inviting him and his wife and their 3 kids over for a little get together that I was having. I served Ribs, Pulled Pork, Brisket, ABTs, Potato Salad, Slaw, Baked Beans, Collard Greens, Jalapeno Cheddar Corn Muffins, Homemade Bacon, Brunswick Stew and Mac & Cheese. All made from scratch along with homemade buns! Yeah, you could say I was flexing my muscle here, trying to show off :)

His wife was making noises like she was really enjoying it, lol. His kids were hoovering it up at quite an alarming rate, I was amazed that his 3 GIRLS could eat like grown men! He ended up telling me that it was THE BEST BBQ he'd EVER eaten! Wow!! What a compliment!

His kids always ask when they can come over again and are looking forward to Super Bowl Sunday. Makes me feel good, I can't lie :P

Jason from Conyers GA

Texan in Tulsa

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 04:49:31 PM »
RG that sounds like quite the feast you threw down. I don't know if I have the patience to even attempt all that at one sitting.
Andy - Broken Arrow, OK

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 06:40:46 PM »
RG that sounds like quite the feast you threw down. I don't know if I have the patience to even attempt all that at one sitting.
Andy, not a lot of "sitting" goes on catering that kind of a spread.  LOL!
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Texan in Tulsa

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 11:48:31 PM »
No doubt about that Dave!
Andy - Broken Arrow, OK

Hulk

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 08:44:28 PM »
Wings wings and more wings three sauces chipotle lime, Korean, and spicy garlic BBQ - the neighbors are already sniffing around to find out what I'll be smoke'n.  Also throwing down a slow cooked shredded beef sandwiches with peppers and onions.
Smokin-it #2
Weber Genesis Series Special Addition
Plenty of campfires
Northeast United States

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 09:36:16 PM »
Not sure about Sunday, yet.  Tomorrow is 4-day sous vide chuck roast, though!  I'm thinking ribs, on Sunday, but that plan will firm-up in the morning when I'm browsing the meat section at Sam's! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

RG

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 10:30:34 AM »
And so it begins! So far this morning I have began to thaw out the baby backs, made a batch of chocolate chunk cookie dough, making a batch of bbq sauce for the ribs, on the stove simmering as I type this. Now I am in "clean up" mode and once I catch my breath it'll be time to load another load into the DW (dishwasher) and make the pizza dough for tomorrow. Then after that it'll be time to remove the membranes and rub down the ribs and wrap in plastic wrap overnight. Then after THAT I have about 40-50 ABTs to prep. Somewhere in there I need to divvy up some beef to make sliders, so......yeah. I have a lot to do still :)
Jason from Conyers GA

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 12:18:50 PM »
And so it begins! So far this morning I have began to thaw out the baby backs, made a batch of chocolate chunk cookie dough, making a batch of bbq sauce for the ribs, on the stove simmering as I type this. Now I am in "clean up" mode and once I catch my breath it'll be time to load another load into the DW (dishwasher) and make the pizza dough for tomorrow. Then after that it'll be time to remove the membranes and rub down the ribs and wrap in plastic wrap overnight. Then after THAT I have about 40-50 ABTs to prep. Somewhere in there I need to divvy up some beef to make sliders, so......yeah. I have a lot to do still :)

What time should I come over?
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

RG

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2016, 12:49:13 PM »
6:00 tomorrow night, bring your own beer, I got the food ;)
Jason from Conyers GA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2016, 02:02:59 PM »
Finally decided.  Pork tenderloins with apricot chutney!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2016, 02:40:20 PM »
Smoked steaks and shrimp on my end.  Probably using oak wood, or maybe mesquite.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

RG

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2016, 02:47:51 PM »
Why is it we can't have a "Like" button on here :P
Jason from Conyers GA

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2016, 03:46:59 PM »
6:00 tomorrow night, bring your own beer, I got the food ;)

If I drove through the night, I could probably make it, but would be very tired. Would bring our good Wisconsin beer, cheese, brats, and locally distilled Brandy.  ;) But seriously though, wings it is! With homemade blue cheese dipping sauce (good blue cheese here in Wisco, Packers not in the Super Bowl, will drown my sorrows in blue cheese, and hope for a wardrobe malfunction in the halftime show).
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide