Author Topic: First smoke pork chops  (Read 2211 times)

Newsmoke

First smoke pork chops
« on: June 08, 2020, 05:06:25 PM »
Doing my first smoke with two 3/4 bone in chops. Noticed my box is reading 40 degrees higher than setting. Also only took 20 minutes to reach meat temp of 145. I’m  going to smoke for an hour and check. Thoughts

Newsmoke

Re: First smoke pork chops
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 05:09:03 PM »
After 35 minutes meat at 158.  Box at 237 with a box temp set for 200

Newsmoke

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 06:16:23 PM »
After 70 minutes I pulled. Meat temp mid 150. Box temp 207 with thermostat set at 200. Checked both probes in boiling water. 210 on both. Any thought?

barelfly

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 06:53:31 PM »
I’d say that is probably accurate, in time at least. 3/4” cuts won’t take much to get up to temp.  Also, temping, are you going from the side with the probe or from top down? Probes seem to work great based on your boil test.

I’ll add that I have never smoked pork chops, so don’t have the experience but I’ve smoked chicken parts and those take about 90 minutes, maybe a tad more at 225*.

As for your smoker, do you have an analog? Once it stabilized, that’s a pretty good reading there - 207 with the thermostat at 200? The 40 degree swing is due to getting the temp up to your set temp, once it starts to get there it’s going to start to back off to stabilize.

Is that what you are asking about? Hope it’s helpful. I have a 3D, so I see the temp outside, but I have never cross referenced the box temp with an additional probe.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

Newsmoke

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2020, 07:17:55 PM »
Thanks. I had the probe stuck in the chop from the top. Maybe into the side would be better. Also the temp spike would probably quiet down on a long smoke like ribs I assume. It seems like once the wood burns off the temp will tend to stabilize. Sound correct?

barelfly

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2020, 11:51:45 PM »
The wood should just smoke, not burn - if it truly burns and catches fire, you could use a foil boat or chip screen, or even ramp up to your target cook temp.

But another point on the temp inside the box, pork chops aren’t big so there isn’t much to “sync” the heat, so that could also cause some of the varied or over the cook target temps.

And for the probe, for thinner cuts, going through the side helps ensure a middle of the cut temp. It can be tricky, but not always, to go from the top. I’m sure you had it in there at the right depth. But just trying to help trouble shoot.

In the end, how did the pork chops taste? That’s what really matters. :) hopefully you liked it!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q

Newsmoke

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2020, 04:58:38 PM »
The chops had a good taste. I think I could have pulled them earlier. One thing I omitted. Somewhere in the middle of the smoke I did have a big puff of smoke come out the vent hole. Is this something I should be concerned about?
Also I contacted customer support. Steve mentioned I need to get my box probe closer to the box thermostat, Makes sense. I had mine up high.

Newsmoke

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2020, 05:00:19 PM »
What is this foil tent you talk about?

barelfly

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2020, 05:56:20 PM »
Your wood may have started fire, with the big puff of smoke. That’s where the foil boat can help - just take a piece of foil and poke some skewer sized holes in it and place it in the wood box with the wood on top of it and loosely form it to a bowl/boat. Helps keep the wood from getting to that point of big puffs.

I also have started ramping up the temp to also keep from getting big puffs. Many others on the board do this, that’s where I learned it from. It works great and I see the light, “blue” smoke rather than big puffs at the beginning like I have seen at times.

As for the pork chop, try pulling it sooner and I think you will have what you are looking for. I usually cook pork chops to medium, so the 135 range and then finish with a sear on the grill or cast iron to bring it to 140-145*.
Of course, cook a bit longer depending on your desired texture and finish temp.

Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q

Newsmoke

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2020, 06:14:20 PM »
When you say ramp up you mean gradually raise temp setting? Not preheat, correct?

barelfly

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2020, 10:09:38 PM »
Yes, I have the 3D programmed start at 150* for 45 minutes then up to the final smoke temp, which has been 250* for the last few months.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2020, 01:49:42 AM »
Yeah, two chops isn't much mass in a 3 sized smoker...  I'd be tempted to stick a brick in there or something.  (I'm just thinking out loud... I don't have actual experience with this particular situation.)

I do agree with barelfly that it sound like your wood caught on fire.  I just put a double thick piece of foil in the bottom of the wood box and poke small holes in it... I don't worry about shaping it any.  The wood catching on fire would also explain your temperature going so much higher than what you programmed.  The controller obviously can only control the element and not the wood burning.  The controller tries to make relatively subtle changes over time, so it would have a lot of difficulty dealing with another heat source competing against it.

Search the forums for 'burp' or 'belch' and you'll learn more about the puff of smoke you mentioned.  It's harmless, but seems to always get attention.  :)
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...