Author Topic: Mac and Cheese  (Read 18331 times)

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Mac and Cheese
« on: June 02, 2014, 08:04:28 AM »
I have been wanting to try out mac and cheese in the SI2, and finally this weekend pulled the trigger.   I followed a recipe posted by Jeff Phillips of smokingmeat.com, which I highly recommend.  The mac and cheese was fantastic!

Link: http://www.smoking-meat.com/august-15-2013-smoked-mac-and-cheese-with-bacon-and-pulled-pork

The one problem I encountered earlier was that a 13x9 baking dish does not fit in the SI2, but an AL lasagna pan fit the bill perfectly.   I had the M&C on a top shelf with some bacon-wrapped chicken breasts on a lower shelf and smoked at 225F.  I used 3oz of cherry wood...my go to wood for poultry.   When the chicken breasts were done at 2 hours, I pulled them but let the M&C stay and raised the temp to 240F for another 30 minutes.   

Chicken was great, but the M&C was most excellent!   Nice and cheesy, great smoke flavor, and even the kids loved it!  ;D
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Mac and Cheese
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 11:28:35 AM »
I have this newsletter saved in my "Need to try" folder from back in 8/13 when Jeff first posted it. But thank you for reminding me about this one as it looks like an awesome recipe.

I think I am going to make a batch of this and cold smoke (as low as I can in the SI since I don't have a cold smoke plate), and then reheat on an upcoming camping trip.

I don't want to haul the smoker along on the camping trip, but I figure if I cold smoke this a couple of days before the trip to get the smoke flavor into the dish, I can reheat in my camper's oven during my camping trip.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 12:46:23 PM »
Hi Gregg...the only concern I would have with cold smoking it is getting the cheese to melt.  You will see from the recipe that you add about 3-4 cups of a 4-cheese mix in the middle and over the top of M&C, so you will want that to melt down.    When I tasted the M&C after smoking for 2 hours at 225, it seemed a little too warm to me, so that's when I ramped up the temp for the last 30 minutes.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 02:15:00 PM »
Since I would be reheating in the Camper oven, I wouldn't really care if the cheese melts during the cold smoking phase as long the smoke flavor is absorbed.

Does that make sense?
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 02:39:59 PM »
Good point...let me know how it turns out.    Another point, though...I did not stir the M&C while in the smoker for 2.5 hours, so the smoke is mostly over the top portion.   You might want to try stirring it up every now and then to get the smoke through it. 
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 02:45:37 PM »
Thanks Steve, I was thinking the same thing.

So, are you saying that yours could have used a little more smoke flavor?
Gregg - Fargo, ND

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 04:37:53 PM »
Not really...I go a nice smoke taste, but I also smoked it for 2.5 hours...not sure how long you were aiming for.   I was reluctant to open the smoker, but it might be worth a try the next time.   Jeff Phillips gives both options for smoking...leave it alone vs stirring it every 30 minutes or so.    But if you are not really heating it, the stirring method might not work if the cheese doesn't melt.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

gmbrown

• Owner of a #3
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 05:21:01 PM »
I have been wanting to try out mac and cheese in the SI2, and finally this weekend pulled the trigger.   I followed a recipe posted by Jeff Phillips of smokingmeat.com, which I highly recommend.  The mac and cheese was fantastic!

Link: http://www.smoking-meat.com/august-15-2013-smoked-mac-and-cheese-with-bacon-and-pulled-pork

This post inspired me to try smoked mac and cheese (along with a whole chicken) this past weekend. I did a longer write-up about it in the #3 forum, but it turned out really well. Thanks for the tip, Steve!
Geoff from Michigan, exiled to Ohio

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 06:02:59 PM »
Have you guys considered smoking the cheese then making this?
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Walt

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 11:05:40 PM »
I make it with 50% smoked gouda & 50% sharp cheddar & usually throw in a few pounds of left over crawfish tails, shrimp or lobster.  Ensure any fat from the shellfish is retained and added to the pasta as well.  I haven't smoked my own cheese but adding the smoked gouda really helps.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 11:08:56 PM »
Walt that sounds amazing.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2014, 08:24:22 AM »
This post inspired me to try smoked mac and cheese (along with a whole chicken) this past weekend. I did a longer write-up about it in the #3 forum, but it turned out really well. Thanks for the tip, Steve!

Glad to hear that you enjoyed it ...I read your other post as well with the variations to the recipe.  I( have done the mac and cheese three times now, and it is always a fav around the table!   And doing it with the chicken makes perfect sense...they both require about the same time to prepare.  Cheers!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2014, 09:51:31 PM »
I make it with 50% smoked gouda & 50% sharp cheddar & usually throw in a few pounds of left over crawfish tails, shrimp or lobster.  Ensure any fat from the shellfish is retained and added to the pasta as well.  I haven't smoked my own cheese but adding the smoked gouda really helps.

Now that's definitely a "Louisiana twist" on a classic side dish!  Way to go, Walt!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Muttley

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 02:25:39 PM »
I did Mac an cheese once in the smoker and it turned out awful.  The smoke simply overpowered cheese, it was inedible.  I'd be willing to give it another try with another recipe. 

My results looked promising but that was about where it ended. I probably used peach wood. 

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 02:31:20 PM »
Boy am I sorry to hear that!   I have done the mac and cheese recipe from Jeff Phillips three times now, and it is has been the hit of the party!   I used about 3oz of cherry wood and left the M&C in the smoker for about 2 hours untouched.   I would recommend another try!   
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2