Author Topic: Mac and Cheese  (Read 18799 times)

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
Re: Mac and Cheese
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2015, 10:35:52 PM »
Matt,

Your Mac N Cheese looks like it turned out better than mine. Eat it while it's hot! Let us all know the outcome of the taste, flavors, and moisture content! I feel mine was a bit dry but I didn't dig into it until about 5 hours after it was out of the smoker.
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2015, 10:41:21 PM »
The last time I made this it was too dry too.

But I had smoked it, cooled it and reheated, which is what caused my problem.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2015, 11:25:20 PM »
The last time I made this it was too dry too.

But I had smoked it, cooled it and reheated, which is what caused my problem.

I think Jeff's Mac N Cheese is probably best served right away out of the smoker. We did cool and reheat ours as well but added some more half and half or milk to the reheating process in order to help bring up some moisture. In fact I still have some of this leftover in my fridge. Maybe I'll try to reheat more tomorrow (I should probably hurry since it has been in the fridge just over a week now).
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

Barrel99

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2015, 01:16:09 AM »
My experience has been to not cook it too much. This needs to be undercooked when taking it out of the smoker. Like a pudding consistency.  Let it rest and it will continue cooking and set. Otherwise it will dry out very quickly after you take it out. Cheese gets extremely hot and cools off and solidifys in short order. When we want a piece another day from the fridge, we nuke it on high so the cheese quickly melts. If it was cooked properly it will still reheat fairly well.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 01:27:24 AM by Barrel99 »
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

mmiaff3666

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2015, 09:09:21 AM »
The mac and cheese was excellent. It smoked for 3 hours with the baby back ribs. It was not dried out and I attribute that to the apple juice that was in Miss Lilly's Flavor Savor adding some moisture to the #2. I removed the mac and cheese from the smoker and covered the pan with foil while letting the ribs cook another 2 hours. When I opened the smoker to brush the ribs with Jeff Phillips' BBQ sauce, I placed the mac and cheese back in the smoker for a 1/2 hour on the top most shelf to heat it back up for serving. Everyone over for the game yesterday liked the mac & cheese and I had no leftovers.
Matt from Maryland

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2015, 11:10:52 AM »
Sounds like a successful approach Matt. How did the ribs turn out?
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2015, 11:22:40 AM »
Even well cooked pasta will continue to absorb moisture so baked mac & cheese continues to absorb the liquid the longer it is smoked or baked.  If you viewed similar recipes for stove top mac & cheese vs. oven, one would see twice the liquid ratio.  Smoked or oven mac and cheese is almost soup when it goes in.  One experiment I did was to lightly smoke my sauce and then mix it with the noodles.  I like really creamy mac & cheese so I thought it was a hit.  Others like a top crusty style so the standard method works better for that. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

mmiaff3666

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2015, 03:18:49 PM »
Baby backs turned out good Bob. They were moist and everyone loved them. The only change I would make to the ribs would be to sear them on a high heat grill after pulling them from the smoker to give them a nice bark.
Matt from Maryland

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2015, 05:05:04 PM »
A quick run under your oven's broiler will work too.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.