Author Topic: ORDERING A #2 THIS WEEK.  (Read 11564 times)

BIG BOB

ORDERING A #2 THIS WEEK.
« on: August 12, 2013, 01:56:11 PM »
My wife is ordering me a #2 for my birthday! I am a newbie, but After a lot of research, I have decided on the SMOKIN-IT #2.
Many reasons for purchasing a #2, mainly no negative reviews and the phone call I made to Steve. He seemed genuine and very pleasant to talk to... Another reason was this forum. I look forward to learning a lot from you guys!

a Question or two ....

Can a whole rack of ribs fit in the #2?
what would be a good maiden voyage?  wings?
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

smokeasaurus

Re: ORDERING A #2 THIS WEEK.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 02:29:01 PM »
Ya might have to trim the ribs. Ya want a good maiden voyage...throw a pork butt in there...very forgiving...heck..I can't even ruin one... 8)

BIG BOB

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 02:44:06 PM »
ok.... when I get closer to time- I will hit you up for some advice on a pork butt Smokeasaurus.  thanks.....

so a #2 wont do a full rack of ribs?  Does cutting them hurt anything?

Should I push for a #3.... It would be pushing it money-wise!
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 02:51:06 PM »
Welcome Big Bob!   You have made a good decision!  Like you, I purchased a #2 back in January for my birthday (which is actually in March but luckily my wife didn't make me wait!)   Just like you, a lot of research, no negative reviews, and a call with Steve sold me.  I usually have something on the smoker every weekend and could not be happier!

When the #2 arrives, you just unbox and attach the wheels and you are ready to go.  Throw in a couple of hickory dowels (provided by Steve) and the seasoning process is underway.   For the first smoke, I recommend something quick and easy so you can get immediate gratification!!!  Wings for 3 hours or so, or a rack of baby back ribs for 5 hours should do the trick...you will need to cut the baby back rack in half, but I have easily gotten 3 racks (cut in half) in the #2 and probably 4 could be comfortably handled.

Good luck...welcome to the group ... and happy smok'in!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

BIG BOB

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 02:55:10 PM »
OK... COOL. I CAN LIVE WITH 3-4 RACKS OF RIBS AT A TIME! I WILL BE ASKING A LOT OF QUESTIONS SINCE I AM SUCH A NEWBIE.... SO BE PATIENT GUYS...

BABY BACKS = 2-2-1
SPARE RIBS = 3-2-1

RIGHT?
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 02:57:23 PM »
Cutting the rack in half won't hurt anything.   I have smoked a lot of ribs since January cut in half with positive results and comments!   Put on a good rub and wrap the night before, and go easy on the wood (2-3oz) for the first time out.   Keep us posted!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

BIG BOB

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 03:00:07 PM »
THANKS...

LAST MINUTE JITTERS...lol... I AM WONDERING IF THE 1500 WATT ELEMENT ON THE #3 WOULD HELP CRISP CHICKEN WINGS AND CREATE A BETTER BARK ON OTHER MEATS?
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 03:01:07 PM »
BABY BACKS = 2-2-1
SPARE RIBS = 3-2-1

RIGHT?

Correct!   For the first time out with baby backs, try the 2-2-1 method -- I have used this with success every time.   

However, some folks have used a straight 5 hour smoke without foiling in the middle two-hour period.   This method is good if you want more bark on the meat.   
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 03:19:36 PM »
THANKS...

LAST MINUTE JITTERS...lol... I AM WONDERING IF THE 1500 WATT ELEMENT ON THE #3 WOULD HELP CRISP CHICKEN WINGS AND CREATE A BETTER BARK ON OTHER MEATS?

I don't think so...you will still be slow cooking at 225F or so.  What some folks have done is remove the wings after smoking and put them on a grill or under a broiler for a few minutes to crisp up the skin.

In terms of a #3 vs #2, I think that decision is based on how much meat you want to smoke at any given time.  For my family of 4 and a few guests here and there, the #2 meets my needs.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 03:47:06 PM »
Big Bob, as the proud owner of a #3 there are some things that even it has trouble doing ... crisping chicken skin is chief among them.  To get a good crunch on chicken you're looking at temps above 300; obviously, the Smokin-It (and several other of its competitors) are limited to 250.  Firing up the grill is a quick way to add that textural component but more often than not a quick trip through the oven (425 to help the sauce set, broiling if you're running them as smoked) will give you the results your looking for.

The #3 will accommodate full racks of spares though the dimensions of the #2 would require you to use rib hooks for a hanging process.  Halving the racks will also do the trick ... you might be able to put a full rack of baby backs on the diagonal but you're really limiting your smoker load to one rack per shelf that way.

I will also note that the #3 does provide a good bark on pork butt, brisket and other meats but I think you can get the same results with the smaller units ... less interior volume requires less wattage to heat.

One last note ... any box-style sealed smoker is going to give you a moisture-rich smoking environment; I actually prefer to smoke my ribs without foil for this reason; it gives it a slightly firmer texture without losing too much moisture.  I've found that spritzing isn't even necessary with the Smokin-It ... a water pan is all you really need if you're feeling antsy on a long smoke session.

My advice is always go for the largest model you can reasonably afford and ignore the accessories until later.  That being said, no matter which one you select from the Smokin-It family you'll find it to be a very versatile and consistent smoker for years to come.
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

smokeasaurus

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 07:55:01 PM »
To get almost crispy wings or chicken skin in the smokin-it, air dry the chicken uncovered for a couple of days in the fridge. Sprinkle a little bit of corn starch on the skin. Add your rub. Put the cooking grate on the lowest setting . About as good as you are gonna get in this type of smoker.......

and if you can swing it....get the #3. It will hold full packers and big slabs of spares with no trimming....and still cheaper than the competitions smaller size offerings...........
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 07:57:24 PM by smokeasaurus »

BIG BOB

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 09:09:08 PM »
after discussing finances with boss... I am going with a #2 for sure. Ordering it Monday! We said if I enjoy smoking (and they like what I make LOL) we can pass the #2 down to my son-in-law, and go bigger. Like I said, this will be my first smoker- I love to grill and love my Char-broil Big Easy so this is a no brainer! WARNING: I will be picking ya'll's brains for advice and guidance.

Thanks for all of the advice already!!
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

Muttley

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 10:53:58 PM »
Bob, with the #2 you'll have to load baby backs sideways to get them to fit, or as mentioned use the hangers.  I haven't used the hangers yet.  Somehow I know they ribs would fall off, it's my luck. 

Lots of good info so far.  I've used 5, 2-2-1 & 3-2 methods for my baby backs.  No real noticeable difference.  Chicken is a straight 5 hours, no peeking, no nothing.  Stuff the bird with a halved citrus fruit, rub it down and let it go. 

Wood, wood, wood.  Makes a difference.  Remember, less can be more, especially with birds.  I've goofed a lot of smokes with too much wood, and then I get an ear full during and after. 

Have fun, enjoy it.  Look around the site, there is a ton of good information.

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 11:36:05 PM »
Glad to hear that you're pulling the trigger, Big Bob ... I think you'll get a ton of use out of your #2.  Give a shout if you have any questions ...
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

BIG BOB

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 08:50:48 AM »
Thanks guys... I appreciate  all of your input. I will be on here a lot - mainly reading and learning.  pretty pumped for the #2 to arrive!!!!
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.