Author Topic: Back draft?  (Read 3294 times)

74redone

Back draft?
« on: March 18, 2019, 11:00:29 PM »
Bought a new 2 no wifi smoker. Installed an Auber controller with the in cabinet probe. I started to smoke a pork butt and after a hr I heard a whistle noise then a big pop noise. Kind of like a back draft. At first I didnt know where it was coming from but then it did it again and I realized it was my smoker. I unplugged it and opened the door to find flames coming out of the wood box. I have never had this happen before. Any help would greatly appreciated.
S2 and stand

tomd8

Re: Back draft?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 08:32:03 AM »
I heard that on my first smoke and also shut it down.  Turns out the chips had caught fire...not quite as roaring as you describe but it left ash not charcoal.  Now I use a foil boat with a few air holes for the wood.  Haven't heard or had the issue since.  Some here don't worry about the ignition but I also wound up with bitter tasting food when the wood ignited so I avoid it.
Tom from New York
SmokinIt #3 analog, Masterbuilt analog, Little Chief

74redone

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 09:00:12 AM »
 Good to know I'm not the only one. I have had 3 smokin it  smokers and have never had one do that before. I also had a bitter taste as well. I will try the foil boat but just wonder why need to do that when I disnt withthe others have had.
S2 and stand

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 09:09:19 AM »
Stop burning chips on a high temp smoke. Chunks are best for that.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

74redone

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 09:46:49 AM »
I dont use chips I use the wood from smokin it that are like a rod or use chunks of wood. I have never used chips in a smoker so that's not the issue. Plus I'm smoking at 225 which I would not consider a high temp smoke. Maybe there is something wrong with my Auber controller.

quote author=Pork Belly link=topic=7485.msg67201#msg67201 date=1553000959]
Stop burning chips on a high temp smoke. Chunks are best for that.
[/quote]
S2 and stand

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 10:05:23 AM »
I think it's all a matter of how close the element is to the wood box and how much airflow there is...  the doors don't seal solid which can make it vary from just the drain and smoke holes alone.  Throwing some foil in the bottom of the wood box and reducing the size of the holes in the bottom can generally keep your wood from catching fire.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

Drayken

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2019, 10:22:30 AM »
Each smoker is probably different, as to the hot spot. On mine, if I put wood in the back of the box, it always turns to Ash. So I always put the chunks of wood only in the front half. I actually use 3 layers of foil also. Since I've started using 3 layers, I haven't had ash anymore.
CJ. 3D wifi.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2019, 11:22:42 AM »
In burning wood in our fire place, we get a whistle once in a while; and looking at the fire when it is happening it appears that a small sap or air pocket ruptures and a tiny flame under pressure is present.  Lasts a couple of seconds followed by a snapping or popping sound.  In the smoker, that may be what is occurring. Being in a confined space, the pop may seem louder IF that is what is occurring.  There is also the belch which may be the same thing. Lots of theories. If the wood has indeed caught fire, I personally don't believe that there is sufficient oxygen to sustain the fire for very long.  But it is sufficient to take the wood from slowly charring and smoldering to something that can reduce the wood to ash over 3 or 4 hours. I cannot believe that I can get smoke for that amount of time from one or two chunks if the wood is actually in flames. The belch might be the wood actually catching fire OR the generated gasses exploding and extinguishing the flames.  No window so no way to check my theory or guess. And it is not important anyway. 
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2019, 08:46:03 PM »
Stop burning chips on a high temp smoke
Turns out the chips had caught fire..

My comment was really directed at Tom. As for "High Temp", to me anything over 100 is high temp or "Hot Smoking".
- Sigmund Freud

74redone

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2019, 08:47:28 AM »
Guys thanks for all the input! Going to smoke a brisket next weekend and I will try lining my wood book with foil and see what happens.
When my smoker made the whistle noise and then the pop the whole smoker shook. I opened the door and there were big flames coming from the wood box.
I have never heard of anybody smoking meat at 100 degrees before. I have always heard you have to be careful to get your meat up to a certain temp in so much time or it will make you sick. Never thought 100 could do that.
S2 and stand

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2019, 01:48:10 PM »
0-100 Cold Smoke, flavor without much change in texture
< 100 Hot Smoke Smoke flavor and  a change in texture.

Smoking below 150 requires use of cure so you don't die.
- Sigmund Freud

74redone

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2019, 01:57:10 PM »
Nice! Thanks for the info!
S2 and stand

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2019, 05:23:23 PM »
The WORST thing you can do is open the door after you hear a pop or a woosh. The smoker is not going to blow up. Introducing a HUGE blast of oxygen into your smoker by opening the door is going to ignite your wood and produce flames, even if they weren't present before you opened the door. Plus it will reduce the heat in the smoker box. And now when you close the door, the element has to run hard again to catch up, which in turn might cause your wood to catch fire instead of smolder (which is probably what it was doing before you opened the door). The whole idea is just counter-productive. Wood is an organic ingredient, and is going to have lots of inconsistent properties when burning, as David said. Consider all the pops and cracks and whistles when you are burning wood in your fireplace.

And do not use chips, slivers or pellets unless you are doing a cold smoke (less than 150 degrees ambient). Use one or more 2-6 ounce chunks for 225+ smokes. I don't line my wood box, or use foil. I use the chip screen only for cold smokes using chips or slivers. I've never experienced a bitter taste. I also never open the door mid-smoke. If you want to guarantee combustion and potentially a bitter taste, open the door. :)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 05:33:52 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

74redone

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2019, 05:44:52 PM »
First off I DO NOT use chips I use chucks of wood. I know what a fire  that cracks and pops like and that was not what happened.  This is my third smoker and have done alot of smoking and have never had this happen. I shut the unit down and let it sit turned off for awhile before I opened the door.  I'm doing a smoke tonight. I found that the heating element was touching the bottom of the wood box so I moved the holding bracket up so there is about a 1/4" between the two. I also put foil in the wood box. Thanks for all the input with things to try.
S2 and stand

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2019, 05:52:04 PM »
First off I DO NOT use chips I use chucks of wood. I know what a fire  that cracks and pops like and that was not what happened.  This is my third smoker and have done alot of smoking and have never had this happen. I shut the unit down and let it sit turned off for awhile before I opened the door.  I'm doing a smoke tonight. I found that the heating element was touching the bottom of the wood box so I moved the holding bracket up so there is about a 1/4" between the two. I also put foil in the wood box. Thanks for all the input with things to try.

Hey, sorry if I offended you and your experience. These are common issues with folks who are new to this style of smoker, so it bears some repeating, if not for you, but others who come across this post.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide