Author Topic: Reimagined Fast Food Trip Down Memory Lane  (Read 2565 times)

RG

Reimagined Fast Food Trip Down Memory Lane
« on: March 15, 2019, 08:54:44 PM »
Back in the mid 90s Arby's sold a sandwich which I LOVED called the Western Bacon Club. It was offered in either roast beef or chicken and I enjoyed both. I would eat one a week if not 2! It was for a limited time and it went away, never to return much to my chagrin. For years I have wished they'd bring it back.

Here's the commercial for it, it might jog your memory.

https://youtu.be/orQZh748yA0

I have been waiting ALL OF THIS TIME for those jokers to announce its return but NOPE! If McDonald's can take away the McRib and bring it back, why can't Arby's follow that blueprint?

I got tired of waiting, so I made my own, only this time with BRISKET! Yes indeedy.

If you've watched the commercial above, you'll see that it starts with an onion roll that is toasted then has roast beef, bbq sauce, thick cut pepper bacon, swiss, tomatoes, shredded lettuce and what they call "Western Sauce" which is a fancy name for Ranch, lol.

So....not wanting to miss a step, my Wife smoked a Prime packer today along with a butt (since smoke was rolling, why not?). When the meats were done, I took 2 onion rolls and toasted them with my heat gun, that way the top side would stay soft and squishy like the way restaurants do it. I sliced some of the flat and put some on the toasted rolls, topped it with some BBQ sauce I made using strong coffee, molasses, Mike's Hot Honey, Tiger Sauce, a little beef rub and some store bought BBQ sauce. It was an awesome sauce that I just winged and will probably never be able to reproduce :P

I also had taken some thick cut pepper bacon and baked it on a wire rack in the oven to keep it nice and flat. So, we have meat and sauce, next was the bacon then room temp Swiss cheese (I hate cold cheese on hot sandwiches), tomatoes, shredded lettuce and lastly, some buttermilk ranch that I made up. I like it better than the bottled stuff as I use half mayo and half sour cream.

I have to say that the taste buds remembered and it brought back a flood of memories. Although different due to it being brisket, and my bbq sauce being different than theirs, it was very close and the flavors mingled together perfectly. Normally I would never eat ranch on a bbq sandwich but for whatever reason, this hodge podge works!

Here's the obligatory pictures :)

Brisket slices

"The Build"

My Son doesn't like tomatoes really but he settled for a thin slice, he also didn't want any ranch so I gave him a tad more "Coffee Ka-Pow BBQ Sauce", lol

Time to eat, hand cut fries with Lawry's paired well

I will do this again someday, it was really tasty! Maybe next time I'll actually do it with roast beef but most likely will stick with the brisket because......well.....it's gooooood :)

Jason from Conyers GA

tomd8

Re: Reimagined Fast Food Trip Down Memory Lane
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 12:28:57 PM »
RG - All looks great.  Certainly made my mouth water.  Looks and sounds like a great sandwich.   Who needs roast beef when you have smoked brisket. - Tom
Tom from New York
SmokinIt #3 analog, Masterbuilt analog, Little Chief

kona77

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 11:00:13 PM »
 RG- I agree.. Heck with the roast beef,  the sandwich looks even better with smoked brisket..
Gene from Wisconsin
SI newbie (3-D)
Live/breathe for the outdoors..

Stevegardner

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 09:18:15 AM »
Man..Arby’s could not come close to a sandwich like this. 600am here in Az, now I want brisket!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 05:49:03 PM »
It's been several months since the return of my beloved Arby's Pork Belly sandwich. Although it's been known to come and go seasonally. Hope it doesn't go the way of your Western Bacon Club. :P
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 11:14:24 PM »
Good to see you back here Jason.  It has been a while.  That is one good looking sandwich.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

RG

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 01:43:16 PM »
Good to see you back here Jason.  It has been a while.  That is one good looking sandwich.
Glad I was missed :)

Although I haven't had a SI in a while, I do think of y'all and stop in to see what's going on!
Jason from Conyers GA

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 09:30:04 PM »
How's that flame thrown' torch of a grill doing?
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

RG

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2019, 03:41:34 PM »
How's that flame thrown' torch of a grill doing?

It's the best thing since sliced brisket ;)
Jason from Conyers GA

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2019, 06:54:10 PM »
Good to know it is still working for you.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

RG

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2019, 06:02:47 PM »
Good to know it is still working for you.

Yeah, it's been a great cooker. Also, it's a smoker and a smoker only, no grilling on it but that's fine by me, I've got that area covered :)
Jason from Conyers GA