Author Topic: WIFI app problem  (Read 2287 times)

SantaFeTom

WIFI app problem
« on: November 26, 2018, 07:15:05 PM »
As an intro, I am a techie and know more about networking than smoking. I just got a 2D digital wifi, read and followed all the documentation, set up a special SSID for the smoker at the proper frequency, and connected both an iPad and android phone to that SSID. I installed the app on both the iPad and phone and tried to add the smoker with both apps. I have verified the smoker connected to the network and got an IP address. Its blue light went from rapid blink to slow blink to solid. The PID responds to network ping commands. However the apps refuse to add the smoker, saying the process failed. I have tried multiple times with the same results. Has anyone had similar issues and if so, what is the solution to the problem? How do I get support for the apps?

Zenwizard

Re: WIFI app problem
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 08:32:56 PM »
I had this issue as well. I am also a techie and know a lot about networking. I found the PID freaks out when you try to add a second device. The way I got around it was to just use an older tablet that I had laying around. After adding a second device I needed to factory rest the pid to get it talk again.

SantaFeTom

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 10:38:59 AM »
I am confused; this is a new smoker and I have not added it to any app, although I sure have tried. Does the PID already have a device as part of factory testing? The PID listens to get the AP credentials and associates with the AP, it just does not communicate back to the app. I am going to look at the IP packets this morning to see if there is something obvious there.

Rather than bog down the forum, I sent you a PM on this.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 12:09:29 PM by SantaFeTom »

SantaFeTom

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 03:28:45 PM »
I got it working. Unfortunately I tried a lot of things, especially on the router, and don't know which one solved the problem. I got into a state where the the PID was not connected to wifi and the iPad app could not get it connected again. I tried a PID factory reset but it did not seem to do what the documentation said it should do, since the blue light was already flashing. I then tried the android app again and things worked; the android could see the PID. I then tried the iPad app and it worked there too. All's well that ends well??

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 05:17:27 PM »
You might want to discuss this with either Steve at SI or the folks at Auberins.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

RobG

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 08:37:31 AM »
HI all. A proud new owner of a 2D WiFi with the same problem. Since this thread is getting old have you found any solutions to getting on line? I'm a techie too but a little weaker in the networking area.
How did you confirm the controller got an IP address? Net scanner?
Although I'm still fast flashing I did try the reset procedure. In my case I'm always fast flashing. I have good WiFi and an iPhone running iOs10+.
Thanks in advance!
Rob

RobG

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2019, 08:40:22 AM »
Got it. The FAQ's helped. Killed the 5G in my wireless router to pair the iPhone app to the smoker. Once done the 5G back running is fine. Cool app.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2019, 09:56:55 AM »
Good to hear.  And welcome to the forum from SE Arizona.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus