Author Topic: Smoked Steelhead Trout  (Read 1838 times)

PhilH

Smoked Steelhead Trout
« on: July 31, 2020, 10:22:20 PM »
A family member requested a side of smoked salmon.  So I checked prices around town and found
Fresh Norwegian Farm raised for $14/lb
Chilean Farm raised steelhead Trout $6.99/lb
I went with the steelhead from Costco to keep the cost down for my family that requested it.

————————————————————————————————————————
Recipe:

2ea    3.5 lb        (Approximately)steelhead with skin on
1        cup           Kosher salt
1        cup           Morena Sugar  (I think it is similar to turbinado)

Didn’t measure    Coarse black pepper
                          Dill seed
                          Dill weed
                          Coriander
                          Lemon zest

Coat fish on both sides using all the salt sugar mixture
Place filets on top of each other with the skin on the outside
Wrap tightly in plastic
Put in fridge in a pan to catch water released, with another pan on top
And cover with cans totaling about 4 lbs
Let sit in fridge 24 hours
Rinse throughly
Return to fridge on rack uncovered for 24 hours to dry
————————————————————————————————————————

I smoked it using maple 🍁
I have been having a very difficult time getting the right amount of smoke when smoking at temperatures lower than standard bbq 225F-250F

I tried to smoke at 150F for 3 hours, then I was going to raise the temp to 180F to finish to an IT of 135F
Brushed with maple syrup once during cooking.

So I had to fiddle with the foul boats, Wood size, soaking the wood, leaving the door open, etc.  basically I baby sat it the entire 4 hours.

Not sure what I am doing wrong.

Anyways tasted it today, it is very good.  Even a perfect amount of smoke. Very happy with this.  I cut off a small piece of the thin belly to taste.

I think I might cut the sugar in half, and not brush with maple syrup, the thin belly piece I tasted Is basically salmon candy.  I will judge after I taste some from the middle.

Phillip   Ramsey MN

PhilH

Re: Smoked Steelhead Trout
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 06:34:45 PM »
Forgot to post the pics
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 06:36:54 PM by PhilH »
Phillip   Ramsey MN

Ken

• Model 2wifi
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 11:50:40 AM »
I've smoked steelhead a number of times and it's always turned out well.  It's mild with a high fat content.  My recipe basically came off this site.  It works with any salmon too.  I use a dry brine for 1 pound of fish: 1 tablespoon Kosher salt and 4 tablespoons brown sugar.  The kind you used should be fine.  I wrap in plastic and cure overnight in the fridge.  Then I rinse the fish well.  After that I put it on a rack and set it on a rack for a few hours to form a glaze. A cool room with good ventilation is preferred but the fridge works too.   I smoke with apple or alder in small chunks or chips.  These days I use a chip screen purchased on this site.  Some people use a homemade version with aluminum foil.  The smoker temp is 170 and I preheat it until I see smoke because the smoking time is fairly short.  The fish is done with with an IT of 135 to 140, personal choice. Additional seasoning is a personal thing.  For me its 1 tablespoon dark maple syrup replacing 1 tablespoon of the sugar.  Then I season the fish with coarse grind pepper after the rinse or just before it goes in the smoker.  Hope this helps.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 06:08:28 PM »
So I had to fiddle with the foul boats, Wood size, soaking the wood, leaving the door open, etc.  basically I baby sat it the entire 4 hours.

Not sure what I am doing wrong.

Get a Chip screen. Put in the chip screen and add a generous amount of chips. Put your meat in the smoker and leave the door open. Crank the heat to 250 until smoke is starting to roll. Cut the heat back to 100 and secure the door. Cold smoking is best done when it is cold outside.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Ken

• Model 2wifi
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 12:02:47 AM »
Your method sounds like something I want to try.  What’s your final IT?  I guess, how do you know when to take it out?

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2020, 11:52:29 AM »
it is cold smoking so the is no goal internal temp. In cold smoking the smoke is applied at 100F or less. 

https://www.smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1820.msg69817#msg69817
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

PhilH

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2020, 01:00:25 PM »
Actually I hot smoked these fish

I pulled them at 135F, came out great

I am going to get the Bella cold smoker though, and use it for everything smoked at temps lower than standard bbq temps

I rarely make bbq, I use the smoker mostly for jerky, bacon, snack sticks and sausage, I just watched the review on the Smokin it website, the cold smoke generator looks great
Phillip   Ramsey MN