Author Topic: Show us what your cooking - Quarantine style!  (Read 20800 times)

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Show us what your cooking - Quarantine style!
« Reply #90 on: April 23, 2020, 04:05:39 PM »
Jeremy, great looking fish!

Greg good tip on the name change.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #91 on: April 23, 2020, 08:18:12 PM »
I am curious how Jeremy's cooks goes as well. I have done numerous Sous Vide chuck roasts, but have never added the smoke component.

This really seems like a solid plan, so I am looking forward to hearing how it goes.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

barelfly

« Reply #92 on: April 26, 2020, 10:15:46 AM »
A quick update on the chuck - I let it go for just over 50 hours in the SV bath at 135*. I did a pinch test on it, which allows for you to determine the tenderness. There was definitely give in and I thought it would be perfect. So, i pulled it out of the bath and shocked it in ice water for about an hour and into the fridge it went. I’ll get it out today and fire up the Weber for a hotter warm up.

But last night, I made my absolute favorite dish to make - Paella. Normally I add clams and mussels but couldn’t find those this time, but you can’t go wrong with shrimp, chicken and homemade Spanish chorizo. I went to grab my paellera and it was nowhere to be found....must be at the lake house. So, went with the 17” Lodge cast iron, and it worked great.

Had a fun night with my wife and kids, they sat out on the patio with me while I cooked, had our first dinner on the patio for the year and then a fire and s’mores. With all this going on, consider myself fortunate to be able to have my health and family with me right now.

Enjoy your Sunday everyone!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

mike1910

« Reply #93 on: April 26, 2020, 12:06:46 PM »
Jeremy- Great looking dish! If it weren’t for my shellfish allergy, I would love to try it. Sounds like you had the perfect evening. We also had fire with s’mores for the kids.  It was a beautiful day here (finally) and we as a family took full advantage and spent the day outside. I will be interested to see how the Chuck turns out. I’m working on a chicken Lo-Mein recipe on the Blackstone this evening. Hope to post some pics later, unless it’s an epic fail! Enjoy your Sunday
Mike from NE Minnesota
SI #3

mike1910

« Reply #94 on: April 26, 2020, 09:41:01 PM »
Chicken Lo Mein on the Blackstone. It was a hit! Definitely a keeper. Hope everyone’s Sunday was good
Mike from NE Minnesota
SI #3

barelfly

« Reply #95 on: April 26, 2020, 11:27:19 PM »
That’ looks like a great Lo Mein! Some good veggies and noodles to go with that great chicken! Love seeing those cooks on the Blackstone!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q

barelfly

« Reply #96 on: April 26, 2020, 11:43:35 PM »
I finished up the QVQ Chuck Roast today and I really enjoyed it. I couldn’t believe how tender this roast was with great flavor from the rub and smoke.

Today, the plan was to reheat the chuck with a 350* fire on the Weber, but I topped out at 300*, didn’t start enough fuel, but that was ok. We weren’t in a rush. I pulled the chuck from the bag, poured the leftover liquid into a pot to use for au jus/gravy for the mashed potatoes.

Onto the grill, and i think it took about 90-120 minutes total to get to temp, but it reset the bark, which is what I was after. Once it hit 132* internal, still below the sous vide cook temp of 135*, I pulled it and sliced as it was a rib roast.

The bonus of this cook - the au jus, man this stuff was amazing! We added a little water and red wine so we had more volume, a bit of corn starch to thicken and topped it on the mashed potatoes. It was so flavorful, bold from the beef and pepper, almost it was like my own A1 sauce in a way is what it reminded me of. 

This was a fork tender roast. I think the 50 hours in the sous vide bath was perfect. Any longer, and it would’ve been past what i was looking for. I probably could have turned this into pulled beef as well with that bath time. But, I think you get this type of texture with pot roast, but it still stayed together when slicing and had the great smoke flavor from the smoker/weber.

I think the only thing I would do different here, is add a bit more rub. Although my wife and kids thought it was balanced out well. One spice didn’t overwhelm, so I guess that’s good.

I have a few photos here, the chuck on the green plate is prior to the last smoke to show the unset bark. The rest, are through the smoke on the kettle.

A fun cook I’d do again!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q

mike1910

« Reply #97 on: April 27, 2020, 07:49:56 AM »
Jeremy- Looks like a complete success to me! Thanks for sharing your entire process, that was really interesting. I bet that gravy was to die for!
Mike from NE Minnesota
SI #3

BrianInOhio

« Reply #98 on: April 27, 2020, 08:13:21 AM »
Jeremy and Mike you’re food looks amazing!
Brian - Columbus, OH
Smoker Newbie
Bourbon drinker
Smokin' It #1

Durangosmoker

« Reply #99 on: April 29, 2020, 06:28:18 PM »
I did a chuck roast 2 weeks ago, not in the smoker, but sous vide, that sat in the water bath for 28 hours, and came out absolutely delicious. Texture was just where I like it, and I seared it in a cast iron skillet. I've done everything from 96 hours (way too soft and mealy), to 72 (better) to 48 (good), and now 28. I think the major tenderizing must come relatively early on, with the last bit happening more slowly over time. On my 28 hour cook, there was still a bit of silverskin that I had to cut out, so it will be fun to determine just how much more time i needed for that to go away.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

barelfly

« Reply #100 on: April 30, 2020, 10:25:45 AM »
Eric,

It’s amazing what the time can do for these chuck roasts. The longest I have done is 72 hours, and for that I pulled the chuck, which was really good. I’ve also done a shorter 18 hour bath but at a higher temp of 180* or so, which was also for pulled chuck. Many ways to find that texture, but the smoke added is a nice bonus.

I bet you got a great sear with the cast iron!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q

barelfly

« Reply #101 on: May 08, 2020, 09:51:55 PM »
I call this a New Mexican Rouladen - green chile, onion, garlic and Monterey Jack cheese stuffed pork loin roast. What a great flavor profile this brought! The wife and kids fought over the mixture topping as I was slicing and serving! Loved it!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 09:53:55 PM by barelfly »
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q

mike1910

« Reply #102 on: May 09, 2020, 12:04:34 AM »
Wow Jeremy, looks like another winner to me! If it tastes half as good as the presentation, then it’s gotta be out of this world. An Irishman has to ask out of curiosity , what brand is  in the glass?
Mike from NE Minnesota
SI #3

barelfly

« Reply #103 on: May 09, 2020, 09:48:14 AM »
Hahaha! Mike, as an Irishman, you may not like what’s in there but it’s my favorite and is an ol Kentucky standby. Love me some Weller Bourbon.

And thank you for the comments on the pork loin. I wish I would have cut the loin out better, need to read up on that and watch a few videos. I think it’s in where I started the cut to lay it out. But, taste was great! Really enjoyed it! I’ll make this again, maybe with Mozarella to see if there is a bit of a cheesey gooey melt to add to it.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q

mike1910

« Reply #104 on: May 09, 2020, 12:36:34 PM »
Jeremy- Haha! Thanks for sharing! I’m going to see if our local liquor store has that brand bourbon in stock. I’ve heard of it but never tried it and I suspect it probably quite good! How big was the loin that you did? I think a quality mozzarella might work really well with that, I’d give it a shot!
Mike from NE Minnesota
SI #3