Author Topic: Sous Vide Brisket  (Read 4791 times)

Minnesmoka

Sous Vide Brisket
« on: July 13, 2019, 08:49:01 PM »
I picked up a brisket the other day but was worried after reading peoples’ mixed results. I saved the flat to fully smoke later, but not wanting to be disappointed with dry meat, I combined smoking and sous vide for my first go. 150/33ish hours, chilled, then smoked at 250/4 hours before resting.

Served with smoked baked potatoes, smoked bacon-wrapped corn, and jalapeno turds. Deeeelish.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Sous Vide Brisket
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 09:56:43 PM »
Looks good to me.  Now I have to ask: I don't have any sous vide experience and gaining it is not on the horizon. So, how did you get the center of the meat to appear well done while the exterior appears rare?  I know you have the SI1 and they don't produce a smoke ring  so did you use another type smoker?  The meat looks tasty but has me puzzled.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Lipster

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 11:22:23 PM »
By brisket is in the Sous Vide right now.  140 degrees, for 60 hours.  Comes out tomorrow am.
This will be my third done this way.   First two were fantastic.
I trim 80% of the fat off, then season and 3 hours in the smoker at 225 degrees.  Then 60 hours in the sous vide at 140.  Then, just before eating, on the smoking hot grill to sear it.  Slice and serve. 
I don't understand it, I don't analyze it, but all my guests say it is De-fricken-licious.  Very smoky, very moist, very tender. 

barelfly

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 04:42:31 PM »
@Old Sarge,

I’m guessing that is a smoke ring from the 4 hour smoke. This Sous Vide a que method works well for many cuts. Chucks are one cut I love doing this, but I’ll actually smoke then Sous Vide then hit on the gasser to serve.

Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

Minnesmoka

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2019, 05:04:41 PM »
It’s a faux smoke ring, I added pink cure salt (cure salt 1/Prague powder) when I initially seasoned the meat prior to bagging. It penetrated more than expected, I only used 1/2 tsp for the whole thing.

Minnesmoka

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2019, 05:10:11 PM »
@Old Sarge,

I’m guessing that is a smoke ring from the 4 hour smoke. This Sous Vide a que method works well for many cuts. Chucks are one cut I love doing this, but I’ll actually smoke then Sous Vide then hit on the gasser to serve.

I haven’t smoked a chuck yet—I love it in the sous vide so much I haven’t branched out to doing it any other way yet. Will have to give it a try...

Lipster

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2019, 05:51:00 PM »
Yes!
I did a chuck.  Smoker first for flavor, then Sous Vide.  We did it to make some killer Beef Stroganoff, but the chuck was so tender, and tasted like steak.  We ended up just eating it like a sliced prime rib.
-Not a purist any more.

Minnesmoka

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 06:12:50 PM »
Leftovers are burnt ends tonight! 1 c. BBQ sauce, 1/2 c. brown sugar, squeeze of honey, and sprinkled with Honey Hog. 225 for about 2 1/2-3 hours (was cold out of the fridge.)

crghsam

• London IVF Fertility Clinic
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2019, 02:52:43 PM »
The smoked meat I get, by why all other items on the menu?

Minnesmoka

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2019, 03:15:04 PM »
Why not?

(Are you asking why everything else was smoked? Or wondering if anything else was done sous vide?)

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2019, 10:14:57 PM »
It’s a faux smoke ring, I added pink cure salt (cure salt 1/Prague powder) when I initially seasoned the meat prior to bagging. It penetrated more than expected, I only used 1/2 tsp for the whole thing.
Thanks. My mind is now resting easy.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives