Author Topic: Chicken with Mr. Ed's Brine  (Read 3562 times)

Mr.Ed

Chicken with Mr. Ed's Brine
« on: June 25, 2016, 12:11:25 PM »
4 chickens in the 3D, a gastronomic feast to say the least.
I have been using this brine since I was knee high to a toadstool.

You have to study Nitrates and Phosphates to understand the benefits they impart to food, not only as a safety measure but also the huge benefit in moisture retention.  My culinary training taught me the safe amounts of these brine ingredients to use. (*please do not exceed the recommended amounts I show in the brine recipe below.)

One gallon of brine for 4 chickens.

One gallon of water
1 cup of kosher salt
1/2 cup of raw sugar
2 TBS Old Bay
1 TBS potassium nitrate*
1 TBS sodium tripolyphosphate food grade*
Shake well until dissolved.

Take 4 one gallon Ziplocs and place a chicken in each bag. Add 1/4 gallon of the brine in each bag. Zip the bag 90% closed and squeeze until the brine starts coming out the top then seal. Do a 6 to 12 hour brine (I like 12 hours)

Smoke with apple, orange, or other light woods. I used 2oz. of orange, and 1oz. of sugar maple.
Pit 250 F. and I pull at 160 F. I know the book says 169 F but this brine will take care of any bad guys at 160 F

I do slit the skin between the thigh and the breast so the heat will be more evenly disbursed.

The end result surprised me. As you know I am new to the Si smoker family. It turned out every bit as good if not BETTER than my Superior smoker. 
Boys and Girls you won me over to the art of Lazy Q.

Mr.Ed from Winter Park, Fl
SI 3D WIFI,
Ex Superior SS1, Ex Lang 60, Ex FBA Competitor
NRA Life Benefactor Member
Vietnam Veteran

Smokin is 1% fact, 22% manipulation of the fact and 77% speculation of the manipulation.

drains

Re: Chicken with Mr. Ed's Brine
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 05:58:11 PM »
Nice looking bird Mr. Ed! It just doesn't get any easier. 
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 09:55:22 PM »
The bird looks great, Ed!  Not sure of the brine...I try to stay away from ingredients I can't pronounce... ???   But, if it works for you, it's all good!! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 12:44:18 AM »
Mr. Ed, chicken looks great! I pull my chickens out at 160 in the breast. The USDA says 165, but I figure it will get there during the rest.

I'm not sure if I've ever had sodium tripolyphosphate in chicken, but I'm sure I have without my knowledge... ;D I just know it is common in frozen seafood like shrimp and scallops, and I avoid STPP like the plague in fish and seafood. (I eat a lot of seafood.) STPP totally ruins the texture of the seafood and makes it squishy instead of meaty. It makes the seafood hold water, adds an odd flavor, and makes it practically impossible to get a good sear on scallops. I always look for "dry" scallops. And I read the ingredients to make sure it's not in there for other fish and seafood (although it's hard to avoid). That being said, chicken is a much different protein than seafood, so I assume it has some sort of positive effect (like retaining moisture), since you include it in your brine, and you have a lot of experience.

I don't know much about potassium nitrate, other than it is saltpeter, and is used for curing meats. Many of us use sodium nitrate/nitrite for curing meats, charcuterie, etc., or to add a faux smoke ring to pork or beef (haven't heard of anyone using it for chicken). I'm not sure if any one has used potassium nitrate though. Would like to hear more about it's benefits in your poultry brine.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Mr.Ed

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 08:46:18 PM »
I don't like STPP in any seafood.  The trouble is as you know most frozen seafood is loaded with STPP.

My brine works for meat and chicken. The soak time is low so the end product is not saturated, has low levels of STPP, yet retains moisture in the bird.

These chemicals need to be well marked and placed in an area away from children.  (accidently taken as table salt could lead to a toxic poisoning )

SI 3D WIFI,
Vietnam Veteran

Smokin is 1% fact, 22% manipulation of the fact and 77% speculation of the manipulation.

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 08:55:30 PM »
I, too, would like to hear more about the benefit of potassium nitrate, in poultry.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Mr.Ed

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 10:34:32 PM »
I, too, would like to hear more about the benefit of potassium nitrate, in poultry.

Hi Tony,
As far a chicken goes the phosphates are for moisture retention. The nitrate is strictly a safety precaution against bacteria. (sodium or potassium)  This brine was given to me by my grandfather, I added the Old Bay seasoning. During my early training in food safety and brines it was all math, weight of the meat plus the ppm or % of the additives to make a safe brine along with the brining times wet or dry. Then the government got involved basically removing potassium nitrate from commercial brining. I read the other day the back yard BBQ people are now part of the global warming problem....How did I know that was coming. LOL     
The nice thing at my age is to keep using the KISS method in BBQ and cooking. I stay with what has always worked and let the chemistry boys play in their own sand box. 
I do put disclaimers as to amounts used in any of my brines. These aren't the cure mixes you buy commercially, these are 99% pure and a fraction goes a long way.

So now I'm in this Lazy "Q" to stay the only thing I want to compute is the weight of my wood!
I want to thank all on this forum who have posted their mistakes along with their achievements.
I read, I learn, I smoke and all is well.

SI 3D WIFI,
Vietnam Veteran

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 10:40:24 PM »
Thanks, Ed!  A little cure never hurts! ;)   Sounds like you know your way around an equilibrium brine... :)
Tony from NW Arkansas