Author Topic: if at first....try tri tips?  (Read 1642 times)

smokinfan

• hello smokers! Brad, nice to meet ya!
if at first....try tri tips?
« on: August 25, 2015, 11:13:43 PM »
Wife went to butcher and he suggested we try beef tri tips for a change. Any help on how to smoke these would be appreciated. They are around 4 pounds a piece. Any ideas on time and internal temps would be great. Thanks in advance!

Gary

• Newbie in terms of actual smoking experience/
Just cooked one yesterday...Re: if at first....try tri tips?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 12:00:32 AM »
Just cooked one yesterday. Box Temp 80 at start; set SM I  220; meat probe, 142. It was a 3.02 lb Sirloin Tri Tip. It took about three hours but I opened door about three times to double check on temp. I just had Harter House put their Red Rub on it when I brought it. It was tender, med rare and my wife loved it as much as I did. Godspeed.
Gary J. Groman
a.k.a. The Ole Seagull

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise,
let your mind dwell on these things." (Philippians 4:8)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: if at first....try tri tips?
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 07:46:58 PM »
Sorry I'm late to the party on this one, Brad - not sure how I missed it!

I treat tri-tips like a beef roast or prime rib:  low and slow at 200-210 box temp, until the middle hits 128 internal, then reverse-sear in a hot oven or on the grill.  With this method, you get your med-rare pink all the way to the edges - no overcooked outer edge!

Tri-tips get a rub with Jim Baldridge's Secret Seasoning (best-ever rub for beef), and are ONLY smoked with oak - "Santa Maria" style!

The pic is a couple getting a sear...sorry I didn't get a sliced shot of these; pretty sure we were way too busy devouring them like we skipped lunch!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!