Author Topic: First smoke today...EXCITED !!!!  (Read 6298 times)

teleskier

First smoke today...EXCITED !!!!
« on: April 18, 2015, 03:07:00 PM »
Well I have two racks of baby backs each seasoned with a different rub for 24hours. 3.5oz of boated cherry wood, apple juice and the remote temperature and probe set being used for box temp only which is set to 235 degrees. I plan on pulling at 5 hours so I can mop one rack slightly for the final half hour just so we can see which way we like best.
SI#2, Maverick dual wireless probes.
Waterfowl guide and married to the best hunting partner a guy could ask for and I don't mean my dog...

Mike from California

teleskier

Re: First smoke today...EXCITED !!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 03:17:32 PM »
Only took 15 minutes or so to get up to temp from 64 degrees initial.

Well, even though the wood is boated, I just had a Wuumph which I assume is what happens when the wood gets over hot?  Temp alarm went off as it went above 250 even though its set at 235.  Still showing 255. Will keep an eye on that and adjust as necessary I guess.
Waterfowl guide and married to the best hunting partner a guy could ask for and I don't mean my dog...

Mike from California

OFFSHORE GINGER

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 03:22:41 PM »
Looking good  , and to tell you the truth I personally like it mopped with  ( BB-Q Sauce ) prior to pulling the Ribs , and often mop the ribs with sauce after pulling them and taking a small cooking torch to help Caramelize everything .
[I[I .............

teleskier

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 03:25:03 PM »
Well so far I think the temp dial is off. Set at what would be about 235 my Maverick is showing 255-257 so I turned it down a bit to see if that will level it at 235 or atleast average that temp

Mike from California

1stlink

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 03:56:50 PM »
Hi Mike,
The ribs are looking good.  My experience is Temp swings  of 30° or more before I purchased my Alber.  I haven't had any belching since I started boating my wood   As you have done. Hmmm   :-\

My model 2 takes longer to get up to temp and I'm guessing that you have a 800w element (newer model) mine is 700w.  When you have time take a look at your data tag on the rear of your smoker   It will indicate what your element wattage is.  I am curious as to which element you have.
Cheers, ralph

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 03:59:57 PM »
Where did you get your cherry wood, Mike?  If the wood is over-dry, even foiling won't always prevent combustion.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

teleskier

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 04:36:02 PM »
Got a bag of chunks from the local Ace hardware store :(

Mike from California

teleskier

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 04:36:52 PM »
Ralph, mine is the 800W

Mike from California

1stlink

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2015, 05:35:00 PM »
 Thanks Mike I kind of figured that's what you had and I plan on ordering a replacement for mine. the 700 W doesn't respond as quickly as the 800w.
 I believe that the 800 W is probably more efficient also  as the 700 W works harder to achieve the same goal.
Thanks again and happy smoking

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2015, 05:57:47 PM »
Thanks Mike I kind of figured that's what you had and I plan on ordering a replacement for mine. the 700 W doesn't respond as quickly as the 800w.
 I believe that the 800 W is probably more efficient also  as the 700 W works harder to achieve the same goal.

Ralph - I just got the 800w element for my #2.  Hope to install it this weekend.  I'll do a review of my impressions, having spent a lot of time with the 700w.  Guess I'll have to re-tune the Auber, too. :(
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

teleskier

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2015, 05:58:20 PM »
I am still getting the 30 degree temperature swings with an average of 235 being 225 indicated on the dial. I may need to calibrate the dial after I have a couple more real world smokes under the belt. 

I have been curious, with 3.5 oz of wood I got just under 3 hours of visible smoke time with my hardware store wood. I assume I would get longer smoke times with a moister, higher quality wood?

Mike from California

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2015, 06:04:01 PM »
No, that smoke time is about right, Mike.  You don't want smoke rolling the whole 5 hours, or your ribs will be over-smoked.  Once the meat hits about 140 internal temp, it pretty much stops absorbing smoke, and it coats the surface.  You should be good.
Tony from NW Arkansas

teleskier

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2015, 06:09:24 PM »
Ok thanks. It smells really good outside I know that. Hard not to open the door and peek.  Potato salad and watermelon are waiting on the ribs.... :)

Mike from California

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2015, 06:23:16 PM »
Hard not to open the door and peek.

Discipline, Grasshopper...Discipline! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

1stlink

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2015, 07:11:45 PM »

Ralph - I just got the 800w element for my #2.  Hope to install it this weekend.  I'll do a review of my impressions, having spent a lot of time with the 700w.  Guess I'll have to re-tune the Auber, too. :(
Thanks Tony I will watch for your review but I think I will go ahead and order one anyway as I believe they had a good reason for the upgrade.
 Even with my very limited experience Here I can see the need for increased power. I was surprised to see that my unit had a 700w element since I purchased it early this year.  My luck I guess as I probably got one of the last 700 W units.  :-\