Author Topic: Temperature Issues  (Read 3977 times)

dhmphoto

Temperature Issues
« on: November 16, 2014, 08:32:51 PM »
I just smoked my first pork butt today and it took way longer than anticipated, About 10 hours (before moving it to my over) for a 6.5lb butt.  I expected about an hour a pound (from reading the forums)

The temperature of the smoker never got over 210 degrees, according to my Maverick probe).  I had the temp settings at 250deg.   I've seen temp swings in the smoker before, but this seems different.   The Maverick is a dual probe unit and has been fairly accurate.

The smoker is about 6 months old and gets moderate use. I'm not sure how best to diagnose this or if I should expect the low temps when doing a larger piece of meat. 

I'm planning on smoking a turkey this thanksgiving, but concerned about the low temperature. 

Any assistance is appreciated. 

Thanks.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Temperature Issues
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 09:59:45 AM »
Mine usually go about 1.5-2.0 hours per pound and usually closer to 2.0 than the 1.5. So, I don't know that you have too much to worry about. I think only one hour per pound is pretty uncommon. I usually plan for 2 hours per pound and if it gets done early, depending on how early I turn my temp down to 140 and hold until 2 hours before the meal and then double-wrap in foil and then into my cooler with towels on top for 2 hours.

I have a feeling that your probe placement may have been causing false readings rather than your smoker not getting up to temp.

Where did you place the probe? i.e. which rack? above or below the meat? How far away from the meat?

Was it a Boston Butt or a pork shoulder?

What rack was the Pork Butt on?

Did you use a water pan? If so, where was it placed?

Did you have any other catch pans or anything else below the meat?
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

WeekendWarrior

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 10:33:54 AM »
I did one a few days ago, 10 pounder took 23 hours total, and I cranked it to 250 for the last couple of hours.

Lately I've been trying to place the Maverick probe on the 4th shelf, as close to the built in probe as I can get without touching anything.  Placing the probe in close proximity to the cold meat can cause low temp readings.

Here was my dial settings on my last smoke and the amount of time and average temps. 

I've noticed the average temp will climb some the longer into the smoke you go.  I would assume this is from the cold meat cooling the surrounding air more.

Dial 225, Min 205, Max 223, Avg 214  (2.0 hours total)
Dial 235, Min 214, Max 230, Avg 222  (8.0 hours total)
Dial 230, Min 217, Max 239, Avg 230  (7.5 hours total)
Dial 235, Min 222, Max 244, Avg 233  (3.5 hours total)
Dial 250, Min 239, Max 259, Avg 249  (2.0 hours total)

If your certain your temps are averaging lower than the dial setpoint, you can do the "temperature adjustment"

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1219.msg5104#msg5104
Bruce - Iowa
#2 Owner
Iowa National Guard - Retired
Computer Geek

dhmphoto

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 11:21:00 AM »
Thanks for the replies!   

I had my probe on the same rack as the butt (pork shoulder, bone-in), a couple of inches from the side and not touching the butt.  I guess that lowered the readings.  I would not have thought so.   

I did have an aluminum catch pan, no water, on the lowest rack with the butt just above that one.   I wrapped the butt in foil after it reached 160 degrees.

Where is the best place to place the temp probe to get an accurate temperature?  My probe has a clip that attaches to the rack, which is how I mount it?  When you say 4th rack are you counting from the top or bottom?

I will now calculate my time estimates accordingly.  Thanks for the help and feedback.  It is greatly appreciated.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 11:59:53 AM »
I did have an aluminum catch pan, no water, on the lowest rack with the butt just above that one.   I wrapped the butt in foil after it reached 160 degrees.

Ding, Ding, Ding. I think we have found your problem. The catch pans are a big no-no. We have found this in many cases. They cause a disruption in the heat dispersion that really messes up the temperatures in the smoker and heat applied to the meat. I understand the attraction with adding a catch pan and wish we could. They just cause too many problems to try to deal with them.

Foil the bottom of your smoker (make sure you punch a hole to match the hold in the bottom of the smoker) and top of your smoke box and let your built-in Smokin-It catch pan under the smoker catch all of the liquid.

Add a water pan with on the bottom of the smoker bumped right up against the smoke box. This provides a heat sync and helps stabilize the temps in the smoker as well as add moisture. I use disposable mini-foil bread loaf pans filled with Apple Cider or Beer, but water can be used as well.

Place your meat on the highest rack possible where you can still have room for your probe. The temperatures are more stable toward the top of the smoker.

I place my probe clip on the under-side of my meat rack equally distant front to back on the rack as well as equally distant from the meat and the wall of the smoker.

I think if you follow these steps and try it again, you will have a lot better results.

P.S. Make sure when buying your pork roast that you are getting a Boston Butt cut instead of a Pork Shoulder. Boston Butts have more fat equally spread throughout in the roast. The Upper Pork Shoulder Roasts tend to have less fat marbling and tend to dry out more than the Boston Butts. If you have a Sam's Club available, this is where I buy all of my Boston Butt's and found them to be superior to the other ones that I have tried. They come in a two-pack. Costco butts are good too, but they are boneless and I prefer the bone-in butts.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 05:44:50 PM »
All good advice above!   As for timing, I would allow no less than 1.5 hours per pound on a butt, and preferably 2 hours per pound.   If the butt finishes early, you can either lower the temp of the smoke and let it sit, or take it out and double foil.   Better to finish before dinner than later!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

dhmphoto

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 07:44:34 PM »
More great advice.  Thank you so much!   I had no idea the catch pan would cause this much trouble.  I have learned my lesson.    I'll also look for a true Boston Butt.    I will definitely give it more time too.

Thanks again for the help.  I will smoke with more confidence now!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 08:24:45 PM »
Good catch on the drip pan, Gregg!  Yeah, we've been down that road many times!  Amazing what an effect it has on box temp.  I also recommend the water pan (disposable mini-loaf pan) next to the smoke box, and nothing between the smoke box and the meat.  Also, place your meat as high as possible.  The heat is more stable at the top.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Walt

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 11:01:01 PM »
I consistently use the flavor savor with success.  Like any container of liquid in these it NEEDS to be snugged up to the wood box not hung from racks or placed under meat. However, in theory I think due to the larger surface area of exposed liguid the disposable loaf pans are better suited suited for what we are trying to accomplish.  I have been fighting the switch because I spent good money on it and it works well.  Always good to try and honestly reevaluate regularly.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill