Author Topic: Almost 5hrs....  (Read 2859 times)

slojoe

Almost 5hrs....
« on: August 10, 2014, 04:04:44 PM »
Couldn't stand it, opened up at 4hrs, ribs looked perfect, bones pulled back, not too much bark, so I put some plowboy's on it and let er go 30 more min. Pulled off and wrapped. Waitin for supper time.  I did have some temp swings that made me want to check them early.

tbcop-is-smokin

• Proud Owner of Smokin-it #3
Re: Almost 5hrs....
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 04:22:11 PM »
Sounds like a plan Joe...
Tony
Good Smokes comes from Happy Trees...
Protect Our Forest...
Vietnam Vet
Tony from Virginia...

slojoe

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 05:00:44 PM »
Well the ribs looked great after a total of 4.5 hrs, they were real meaty baby backs. good taste but a little dry for my liking, next time I'll probably go back to a 2  2  1 with the wrap being with butter, brown sugar, honey and hot sauce, tried this a while back and it was really, really good, why kick a winner...... ;)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 05:06:01 PM by slojoe »

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 05:25:44 PM »
Did you have a water pan filled with Apple Juice or Beer placed next to the smoke box?

What temp did you smoke at?

Did you use a binder of mustard or oil? I always have a very nice bark with my mustard binder.

I wouldn't give up on the No Peak quite yet. But whatever makes you happy and give you the best results for you and your family.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

slojoe

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 05:34:55 PM »
Greg..........Yep apple juice.........225........oil.........Did notice on all smokes, the liquid was never depleted, placed next to the wood box.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 05:59:02 PM »
Well, it sounds like you did everything right. I guess the only other thing you could try would be to open up and do the toothpick test at 3.5-4.0 hours instead of 4.5.

I usually do St Louis cut ribs that I don't check until 5.5-6.0 so I am definitely not the expert on Baby Backs. Although, my next set of ribs are going to be Baby Backs from Sam's Club though.

Regarding the water in the pan, mine usually isn't very depleted either. I think that is pretty normal.

Let us know how your next smoke with the 2-2-1 goes. For me, I have such good luck with the no peak that the thought of doing 2-2-1, doesn't excite me at all.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

mnsmoker

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 06:57:22 PM »
I tried the 3-2-1 method with brown sugar butter honey a few times just didn't think the extra work was worth the final product, now I just throw some Famous Daves rub on em in the smoker 235 for 5 hrs. sauce em and slice, they come out the same every time, been doing ribs on stick burner for well over ten years and people that have had both say these are easily as good it's just so much easier.....keep it simple it's what these smokers are all about!!
Jim from Minnesota

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 07:16:12 PM »
I tried the 3-2-1 method with brown sugar butter honey a few times just didn't think the extra work was worth the final product, now I just throw some Famous Daves rub on em in the smoker 235 for 5 hrs. sauce em and slice, they come out the same every time, been doing ribs on stick burner for well over ten years and people that have had both say these are easily as good it's just so much easier.....keep it simple it's what these smokers are all about!!

Amen, Jim!! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

es1025

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 08:09:36 PM »
Joe
Since you broke the no peeky rule you are fined one demerit... Laugh Out Loud!!!!

Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?