Author Topic: Perfect butts  (Read 8572 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Perfect butts
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2014, 07:52:47 PM »
so you smoke your boston butts @ 250 avg on the SI? What is average smoke time till 200 degrees?

Not to answer for Joe, but I think he said he used to smoke them at 250 on his stick burner.  Most folks, with the SI, use 225-240.  I use 225 until it gets through the stall, then up the temp to 240 until I get around 195 internal temp.  Then, wrap/rest in the cooler for an hour or so.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

mnsmoker

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2014, 08:19:57 AM »
I think the best method for these smokers is what Tony said 225 then bump it up to 240 or so to help power through the stall, out at 195 IT wrap and rest for a couple hrs. very simple recipe that produces a consistently great product.
Jim from Minnesota

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2014, 09:57:24 AM »
I typically plan my smokes so that I don't have to bump my temp up. I think in a perfect world you leave it at 225 the whole time, and bump it to push through the stall if you are in a time crunch.

I have done about a dozen butts in the SI so far and have only had to bump it up twice.

In the end, we're only talking about a 15 degree bump, so maybe it is inconsequential to the flavor/moisture/taste/etc. But, unless someone tells me that they get "better" results by bumping the temp, I am going to try to smoke the whole butt at 225 as I usually have the time because of starting early enough. If anything I sometimes have to rest my butts in the smoker for an hour or two and then a 1-2 hour rest in the cooler.

My 2 cents.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

southernsmoker

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2014, 12:56:16 PM »
So what is your average cook time @ 225 for and Internal temp of 198-200?  I smoked two Boston Butts yesterday - one about 8 lbs and the other about 7 lbs.  Set temp gauge to 240 degrees and the 7 lb was @197 in 12 hours and the 8 lb was at 195 in 14 hours.  is there something wrong with my smoker or is this normal?  This is my 2nd time using it since purchase. 

slojoe

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2014, 01:18:40 PM »
Sounds like you got it going on, if they come out tasty, that's the proof you need.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2014, 01:19:15 PM »
Southern...the smoke times that you experienced are within normal range for the boston butt.    I try to always go for 225F for butts, but I did have to bump up to 235 once when I was short on time (and actually had to finish in the oven).   

As a general rule, you should allow at least 1.5 hours/lb, but I always go for 2 hrs/lb to be safe.   It is better to finish early and let the butt rest a bit longer than to have to cut the rest period short.    The rest time (about 2hrs if possible) is really crucial to allowing the fluid in the butt to redistribute through the meat before pulling, so I would suggest adding an additional 2 hours as well.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2014, 09:41:40 PM »
So what is your average cook time @ 225 for and Internal temp of 198-200?  I smoked two Boston Butts yesterday - one about 8 lbs and the other about 7 lbs.  Set temp gauge to 240 degrees and the 7 lb was @197 in 12 hours and the 8 lb was at 195 in 14 hours.  is there something wrong with my smoker or is this normal?  This is my 2nd time using it since purchase.

Perfectly normal!  With large cuts of meat, you'll experience a "stall," which accounts for the long cook time.  During the stall (usually in the 170's to 180's range), you'll see the temperature climb stop, and maybe even go backwards a few degrees!  Don't freak-out; this is when the meat is experiencing "evaporative cooling."  The fat and connective tissue is rendering to liquid, and the liquid rises to the surface of the meat.  The air flow across the meat cools it, and slows the cooking process.  It's the same way we cool ourselves when we sweat.  During the stall is when the magic happens, and the bulk of the tenderizing takes place - that's why "low and slow" is the key!  Bottom line - plan for 1.5 - 2 hours per pound, and be thrilled if it takes less! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2014, 12:33:44 AM »
Your cook times are normal. I always smoke pork butts at 225, never deviate and they come out perfect every time.  I have the #3 and your time is consistent with mine.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It