Author Topic: Thermostat/probe or PID?  (Read 2559 times)

Jeff010

Thermostat/probe or PID?
« on: June 08, 2014, 12:41:47 PM »
Just ordered a smokin-it #2.  I was looking to get a maverick (around 60) but then saw the thermoworks probe ($150).  I have a thermapen thermometer and I love their products but for 150 I would probably upgrade to the PID.  Other posts say that the smaller 1 and 2 smokers don't need a PID as they don't have large temp swings.  I know I'm overthinking this as usual.  Should I just get the maverick?  Even if it's not the most accurate, does 5-10 degree fluctuations really matter? Are their any other brands I should look at?  Thanks for any advice.

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
Re: Thermostat/probe or PID?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 01:03:37 PM »
For what is it worth, I have the #3 and the maverick and both work great, however i wouldn't mind getting the PID controller. If I had to do it again , I would order the controller instead of the maverick. 

But this is not out of necessity, just another nice to have, not a must have.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 01:49:50 PM »
I have a #2 and a maverick and it works fine...the temp swings are not that bad and the Q comes out great every time.   I would recommend he maverick for now, and then decide later if you want/need to upgrade to the PID.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Jeff010

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 02:15:54 PM »
Thanks.  Maverick it is.

bigbassnutt

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 06:44:37 PM »
Hi Jeff, I have a maverick and like the ability to monitor temps inside the house. I also have the Auber and I love being able to program the different steps so all I have to do is come back to it when the meat it done. I smoke ribs most often and the Auber stores the last program used so all I do is turn it on and it's already set. If I could only have one or the other I would go with the Auber, the Maverick just makes it so I don't have to walk outside and look at the Auber, Mike
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 07:10:38 PM by bigbassnutt »
Mike in Indiana
Smokin-it Model 2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 06:49:20 PM »
Jeff, I use both!  The Maverick is great for monitoring the temp remotely, but the PID (especially with the permanent Auber box temp probe) brings a level of accuracy and flexibility to the process like nothing else.  6 programmable steps, triggered by time or temp, and +/- 1° accuracy.  Hard to beat!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!