Author Topic: Should I be concerned?  (Read 2014 times)

SeeTrai

Should I be concerned?
« on: June 05, 2014, 07:43:24 PM »
Hi,  I'm still a newbie with my #2 and only have a handful of smokes under my belt.  During my last smoke (9# butt) I noticed my #2 acting differently.  It was "burping".  By this I mean every ~30 seconds at the beginning it would exhaust a ton of smoke.  What concerned me was the smoke would actually leak out of the door seems as well.  It was like the wood inside was igniting, and instantly extinguishing with a huge amount of smoke being exhaled from the top and door seems. 

Any thoughts?  Is my door not closing correctly?

Best,

Chris

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Should I be concerned?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 07:55:33 PM »
That will happen occasionally.  Could be some bad wood.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 08:01:16 PM »
Chris, you are experiencing combustion, most likely due to dry wood.  Type "smoke belch" in the search bar above - you'll see this subject has been covered very extensively.  There are many solutions in the discussions.  Not trying to evade the answer, but there's plenty of answers already on the forum for this subject.  If you have any trouble finding the answers, please let me know.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 08:39:28 AM »
Hi Chris...I have commented on this several times with my #2 and I have tried different methods to avoid the combustion burps.    I am now foiling my wood before putting it in the smoke box, and I punch several BB-sized holes in the foil to let the smoke out.  This has worked very well for me...just light smoke and no burping.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

SeeTrai

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 06:10:48 PM »
Thanks everyone for your replies.  I'll search the forums better and read up.  I give your method a try as well swthorpe. 

have a great weekend!