Author Topic: New Owner - Best First Smoke  (Read 3963 times)

msand7443

New Owner - Best First Smoke
« on: May 28, 2014, 02:49:12 PM »
All,

Just received my #2 today!  Wow was it packed well.  Got it setup in minutes.  Will be doing my seasoning smoke later today.

I am looking for suggestions as to what would be best for my first smoke!  I have been using a MES for a number of years (until it finally died).  It was always an adventure when smoking with it, and just when I was getting things going in the right direction, it dies.

Any suggestions?
Mark

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: New Owner - Best First Smoke
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 03:18:36 PM »
You made a great choice with the Smokin-It smoker.

Some will say to smoke ribs for your first smoke. But what I did and would recommend is to smoke a Boston Butt. There are several great recipes/brines in the Pork section for Boston Butt.

The nice thing about a butt is since it is a long smoke, it really gives you a good feel for your smoker.

Good luck on your first smoke!
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 06:02:59 PM »
Welcome, Mark!  Boston butt was my first smoke in the #1 a year ago, and I've recommended it ever since!  The nice, long smoke serves as a good break-in for your smoker, and shows you how it performs when it settles in for the long haul.  Plus, the Boston butt (bone it) is hard to mess up! ;)   I see Gregg has caught onto this, too! 

Let us know if you have any questions - we're here to help!

Whatever you choose will be good! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 06:34:11 PM »
I cast a vote for ribs (my first smoke), but you can't wrong doing a Boston Butt!  I guess I was not willing to wait that long to get some Q out of my #2!    Another quick option (3-4hrs) is a whole chicken.  Speaking of chicken, my butcher split a couple of 4# chickens for me this weekend, and they smoked up 165IT within 2.5 hours!   Good eats whatever you choose...  Cheers!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 09:23:24 AM »
Tony, you have never steered me wrong and it was on your recommendation that I did the Butt first. I am glad that I did that, which is why I now recommend it to anyone that asks. It is just hard to mess up a butt, and you want your first experience with the new smoker to be good.

But there are other options as Steve has mentioned. Ribs would be my second choice.

Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Walt

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 09:57:34 AM »
My 1st planned cook was a butt.  However, i brined the butt so while waiting on the butt getting ready, I smoked some sausage & then a chicken.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 12:02:29 PM »
Gregg, I think you and I are the only ones recommending butts for smoke #1!  We'll convert more with time!  lol! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

mnsmoker

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 02:24:33 PM »
Butts without a doubt...6-7 pound butt a little rub 225 for 10 hrs or so and...........perfection!!!
Jim from Minnesota

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 07:31:16 PM »
Way to go, Jim!  We're going to start the "butt revolution!"   ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 09:47:47 AM »
"BUTT REVOLUTION"!!!

You literally made me LOL on that one.

Onward with the revolution!
Gregg - Fargo, ND