Author Topic: New Model #2 Owner with a few questions  (Read 3666 times)

tankca

New Model #2 Owner with a few questions
« on: May 26, 2014, 12:01:32 PM »
I'll be getting my Model #2 tomorrow and can't wait to get started.  Have never smoked before (except feeble attempts on a Weber Kettle Grill).  I have a few questions I'm hoping someone can help:

When seasoning the new smoker how much wood should I use, how long, what temp and what should I be looking for if anything?

I have an Apple & Plum tree in the backyard, will cuttings from it work after drying out for a couple months?  Anything special I should do?

I read where most people foil the bottom of the smoker to help with clean-up.  Do any of you use a catch pan on a rack just below the meat to catch the drippings?

Thanks, I'll probably have more questions later but too new to know what to ask.

Steve

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: New Model #2 Owner with a few questions
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 12:35:47 PM »
Hi Steve, welcome to the smokin'it family!    On the seasoning run, use two dowels of the hickory that will come with the #2, set the temp for 250F, and let it run for 3-4 hours, probably closer to 4.   You don't need to foil the inside for the seasoning session.   You will see a lot of smoke within the first hour, and then the smoke will taper off, but let it go for 4 hours to completely consume the wood.

You will find with these smokers that you only need a small amount of wood to get good smoke taste ... often as little as 3-4oz of wood.  If you have a small kitchen scale, this will help to make weigh the wood.   I only use the catch pan that does under the smoker when smoking.   When smoking meat, you will want to put foil over the top of the smoke box and on the floor of the smoker (this helps in the clean up phase!).   Be sure to punch a little hole in the foil on the bottom where the drippings can run out of the bottom of the smoker in the catch pan.

I see no reason why you would not want to use pieces of wood from your apple tree, although I have not heard of using plum for smoking.   I saved parts of a cherry tree that was pruned a few years ago and use that wood for smoking.

I have been using my #2 for 1.5 years now and love it ... you will be amazed at how easy they are to operate...literally set it and forget it!    I would, however, recommend getting a remote thermometer to monitor the temp of the smoker and the IT of the meat that you are smoking.   I have the Maverick model that has worked well.

Finally, take some time to look around in the forum boards...lots of good advice, recipes, rubs, etc.   Post questions any time!  Cheers.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 12:48:56 PM »
I second what Steve said, Steve!  To add about cleanup; you're right about foiling the bottom of the smoker and the lid of the smoke box (do NOT forget to poke a hole in the foil for the drain/air hole in the bottom!).  After smoking, remove the foil and wipe the inside down.  The shelves and side racks can go in the dishwasher.

I do not recommend adding any kind of catch pan under the meat.  As you look around the forum, and see posts about temperature issues, this is one of the culprits.  A pan between the meat and smoke box disrupts the heat flow, and causes false readings.  Best to just let the drippings hit the foil on the bottom (that's why we do that).  Also, I've found keeping your meat as high as possible works best.  The heat it more stable and consistent near the top of the box.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

tankca

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 03:13:00 PM »
Wow, quick responses thanks for the welcome.

I did get the Maverick, been reading about the Auber but don't want to get too far ahead of myself so soon.  I just got back from grocery shopping and couldn't help but browse around the meat department thinking about what I could smoke.  I've been looking through all the topics and see a few I want to try.

Can't wait to get it fired up.

Cheers,
Steve

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 05:07:30 PM »
Good you got a Maverick, Steve.  Makes life SO much easier!  I recommend starting off with something like a pork butt for pulled pork or baby back ribs.  But hey, whatever you like will work!  Just find a good recipe and follow it - can't go wrong! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 08:36:15 AM »
Although not a requirement, you might want to try adding a small loaf pan of liquid (I use apple juice) that you can place next to the smoke box that will add a bit more moisture during the smoke, especially on long smokes like BB ribs or butts.

Glad to hear that you have a Maverick...I rely heavily on this for monitoring the temp in the smoker, and more importantly the IT of the meat!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

tankca

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 09:59:46 PM »
Package was on the door step when I got home from work today.  Poor FedEx guy, I have at least 25 steps up to my front porch and he hauled it all the way.  Most heavy deliveries are just left next to the garage.

I have it seasoning right now.  According to the Maverick it got up to 290 degrees in just 30 minutes and settled to 250 after an hour.  I re-set to 225 and right now it is at 250, seems to be running a little hot but I guess that is better than not getting up to temp.

Seems to be well built, can't wait to do my first smoke.  Unfortunately I'll be out of town the next couple days and will need to wait until the weekend.  Thinking about some wings and brats for the first smoke. 

Steve

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 10:15:52 PM »
Congrats are in order!  You're on your way to Q heaven!  Oh, and don't worry about the temps you saw while seasoning.  I always recommend to never check temps during seasoning, as they are all over the page.  An empty smoker will have wild temp swings - it is NOT an indication of how it will perform with a meat load and water pan in there. 
Tony from NW Arkansas

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 06:49:08 AM »
I agree with Tony on the temps for an empty smoker.   Keep in mind, though, that when you are smoking meat the temp will swing in the smoker, perhaps +/- 15 degrees or so. With a set temp of 225, for example, your maverick might be showing temps from 210 to 240 as the heating element heats the unit up and then cools down when off.  This is normal and nothing to worry about, the temp will average out around your set up.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2