Author Topic: 4Butts  (Read 3348 times)

Don

4Butts
« on: April 30, 2014, 09:09:23 PM »
I've cooked 2 butts together before & it didn't affect the time it took to cook. l would like to smoke 4 8lb butts, but was wondering if it would prolong the time to cook it? Also, if they get done earlier how would you reccomend  keeping them warm for a birthday party? Thanks.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: 4Butts
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 09:44:30 PM »
I've not cooked that many butts at a time. But if they get done early you can hold them at 140 degrees until it is time to eat. I have dome this several times with great results.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 09:52:34 PM »
That's a LOT of butts!  It'll be like pulled-pork-palooza around Don's house!  That's definitely a full load in the #2.  I would plan for a little more time, if you've never done that much poundage at one time - maybe a couple of hours?  Gregg's right about the hold.  I've actually gone to 135 when I hold meat, and open the door for a couple of minutes when the butts reach 199.  This helps cool the interior of the smoker so they stop cooking.  The idea of the "hold" is to keep the meat above the 145-degree "safe" temp until it's ready to serve, but stop the cooking process.  I've held large cuts, like butts, as long as 4 or 5 hours with this method, with no effect on moisture/tenderness.  But, even if I hold one in the smoker, I still remove about an hour before eating and double-wrap in foil for a rest in the cooler.  This allows all those rendered juices to re-absorb into the meat and get really happy.  Let us know how long it takes for 4 at a time!  Oh, I'd probably up the temp to 240 due to the mass in the smoker.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

es1025

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 07:54:22 AM »
I would make sure you have enough temperature probes or a real good probe instant read thermomter. You dont want one butt cook and the other not. I am curiious on the outcome.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 09:50:51 AM »
That's a great point Ed.

Every piece of meat cooks differently even if they look the same.

One may get stuck in the stall a lot longer than the others.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

rickne

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 09:29:10 AM »
I've cooked 3 butts in my #3 and it did slow the cook down a some.  I would error on the long side.  Depends on the weather too.  If it's a cold and windy or wet day, I'd probably allow for 18-20 hours for four 8 pounders.  If you have a nice day, Maybe 16 hours.  But I could be wrong too.  I've been known to miss the boat on this stuff.

It is far easier to "hold them" for 4 hours then it is to rush them.

Rick  --  The Cornhusker State
Model #3 Jack Daniels Edition (W/ Cart)
Toggle Switch Bypass, Cold weather Cord, Auber PID

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 07:03:12 PM »
Any update on the 4 butts, Don?
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Don

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 08:14:58 PM »
 2 of them took 12 hrs and the other 2 took 14; but they all turned out good. Held at 140 for 2 hours before taking out to rest. Couldn't be happier with smoker. Thanks

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 08:16:46 PM »
Way to go, Don!  Sure would be nice to see some pics of all that massive Q goodness! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas