Author Topic: Just Smoked the TOUGHEST Ribs EVER!  (Read 4300 times)

Speedy captain

Just Smoked the TOUGHEST Ribs EVER!
« on: April 23, 2014, 06:27:15 PM »
Okay...

So coming off an impressive success with my first baby backs, I smoked again this week... Its been a while as I am working on a new motorcycle and running a side business supplying a mod for this said model... anyway.

My first smoke was using Tyson Natural ribs... they were AMAZING... so tender.  I smoked them for about 5 hours, didn't check the internal temp, pretty sure I cooked longer than needed, at 225F, they were INCREDIBLE.  Every bone pulled out clean!

Today I used some Organic, All Natural, blah blah other brand baby backs.  Today I smoked them for 3.5 hours, used internal temp as a guide, took them to 170F... they were TERRIBLE.  Leather would have been easier to chew than these ribs.

Okay... so tell me that it was the ribs themselves?  The ONLY thing I did different with these ribs was the shorter smoke, and pulled them at 170F...  TERRIBLE RIBS.  I am going to go chew on some old shoes right now as I await the wisdom of the forum.

I am going to give it another GO this week, but I need a better source for ribs.
Living FREE

Rob from Indianapolis

Speedy captain

Re: Just Smoked the TOUGHEST Ribs EVER!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 06:31:58 PM »
A quick GOOGLE search shows that I probably pulled them way early...

It says 180-190 INTERNAL, and a good indicator is when the meat shrinks up, exposing 1/2" or so of the bone tip...   My first rack was just that way, these were not, at all... I was probably a good hour short on cook time?

Bummer, I guess I have to smoke again this week to redeem myself!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 06:34:05 PM by Speedy captain »
Living FREE

Rob from Indianapolis

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 06:36:20 PM »
I don't smoke ribs by internal temp. Probe placement is tough because of the proximity to bone.

For Baby Backs, I go  a minimum of 5-6 hours.

Spares go 6-7 hours.

I think the problem was that you didn't smoke them long enough.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Speedy captain

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 07:01:06 PM »
I agree!  I was dumb!
Living FREE

Rob from Indianapolis

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 07:09:39 PM »
Not dumb. It's all just a learning experience.

I would put them in a slow cooker for a couple of hours and that should soften them up so it's not a total dud.

You'll find the times that works for you based on how fall off the bone you like your ribs. Everyone has their own preferences.

To expand on what I wrote before, I typically first check my baby backs at about 5 hours and use the toothpick test to see if they are done. You just stick the toothpick into the meat right next to the bone and see how hard it is to pull the meat away from the bone. I then typically end up going an extra hour. Same thing with the Spares/St Louis cuts except I check at 6 hours and then typically go another hour.

I don't sauce my ribs on the smoker, but when you first check on them would be the time to sauce them and put them back in for another hour.

I hate cleaning the caramelized sauce off of my smoker grates. So, if I am saucing (many times I just eat them plain), I sauce them and then put them on a cookie sheet under the broiler until the sauce caramelizes. The cookie sheets are a lot easier to clean up.

If you are in a hurry, you can bump the temp up to 240 and then check 30-60 minutes earlier.

I think you'll have much better luck on your next try.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

es1025

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 07:22:14 PM »
Speedy
I smoked my baby back ribs 5.5 hours no peeking.  I use a temp of around 240 and have a water pan. Never (knock on wood) had a bad ribs.

I am a memphis eater, no sauce.

I also tried this time due to traveling foiling the finished ribs for two hours and they were really good.  I recommend foiling for an hour resting in a cooler.

Good luck and try again. everyone loves ribs.

Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 07:29:16 PM »
Great points Ed.

Definitely No Peak until the first check as well as a foil mini-loaf pan or the flavor saver from Smokin-It filled with Apple Juice or Beer and setting right next to the smoker box on the bottom of the smoker are musts for me every time as well.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 07:30:49 PM »
Sure don't want to beat a dead pig, Captain Rob, but the guys are spot-on.  Just not long enough (as you already know).  I just want to reaffirm the success we see with the 5-6 hour no peeky method using a water pan.  I've converted to using 235 for my baby back cook temp, and it works great.  Gregg's right about the crock pot, which works great to reheat fully-cooked ribs, too!

We've all learned a lot on this journey to the perfect Q, and continue to help each other along the way!  So keep on keepin' on, and you'll soon perfect the techniques that work best for you.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Intruder

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 12:11:52 PM »
For sure they weren't in long enough.  I went an hour at 225 to let the smoke in, then up to 240.  I still went about 5.5 hours until they looked correct.  They will pull hard if they aren't pulled back off the bone at the ends.  I also spritzed the last 2 hours with apple juice mix.

es1025

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 01:34:08 PM »
If you figure the 2-2-1 method for baby back and 3-2-1 for st louis cut i believe adding a half hour to both cuts 5.5 baby back and 6.5 st. Louis cut.

I cook babies for 5.5 hours and rest for 1 hour+.

The no peeky method works.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?