Author Topic: Independence Day - What ya smokin?  (Read 15843 times)

afratki

• Owner: Smokin-It #1
Independence Day - What ya smokin?
« on: July 02, 2013, 08:40:38 PM »
Though I'd start a thread to see what everyone has planned for the 4th.

I'm having my parents and younger son and his fiancée over. I just picked up three racks of St Louis style ribs to smoke using the 3-2-1 method (but will probably skip the 1 and finish them on the grill like I did last time) . I plan on making the Carolina style BBQ posted by UWFSAE and the St. Louis style posted by DivotMaker to do some experimenting with different flavor BBQ sauces.

Have a Happy Independence Day everyone!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 06:17:23 PM by afratki »
Andrew from Maryland

Let's Smoke!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Independence Day - What ya smokin?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 08:51:59 PM »
Sounds great!  I'm thinking a rack of St Louis ribs.  Finishing them on the grill sounds really good - I think I might give that a try!  Do you sauce them before grilling, or finish them dry?
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 09:19:08 PM »
I'm doing several racks of St. Louis spares for all the adults, a couple of bacon explosions as appetizers, and some smoked Italian sausage and smoked bratwurst for the rugrats that will be running wild around the backyard.

I'm also hoping to throw some homemade ranch style beans in the smoker ... that'll be a first for this recipe (I'll be posting it after I validate the steps this weekend).  Corn will be grilled this time (in their husks) with a homemade garlic compound butter.  Grilled peaches with maple syrup and pound cake for dessert, along with some homemade key lime pie.

As for Divot's question, apply a good layer of sauce and then finish them on the grill (or the oven); this definitely helps caramelize the sauce and creates both a better flavor and textural component.  If the grill's full, or the weather's crappy, just throw them in a preheated oven to 450 for 10-15 minutes and then switch on the broiler element for a few carefully watched minutes.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 09:22:10 PM by UWFSAE »
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 09:45:28 PM »
I'm doing several racks of St. Louis spares for all the adults, a couple of bacon explosions as appetizers, and some smoked Italian sausage and smoked bratwurst for the rugrats that will be running wild around the backyard.

I'm also hoping to throw some homemade ranch style beans in the smoker ... that'll be a first for this recipe (I'll be posting it after I validate the steps this weekend).  Corn will be grilled this time (in their husks) with a homemade garlic compound butter.  Grilled peaches with maple syrup and pound cake for dessert, along with some homemade key lime pie.

As for Divot's question, apply a good layer of sauce and then finish them on the grill (or the oven); this definitely helps caramelize the sauce and creates both a better flavor and textural component.  If the grill's full, or the weather's crappy, just throw them in a preheated oven to 450 for 10-15 minutes and then switch on the broiler element for a few carefully watched minutes.

What's your address, again?  Sounds like you're definitely doing it up right!!  ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

UWFSAE

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 10:31:04 PM »
Heh ... even in a city of 4,000,000, you'll probably be able to follow the aroma ...  ;D
Joe from Houston, TX

es1025

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 07:00:46 AM »
8 lb boston butt, homemade cole slaw, corn on the cob, and the normal burgers and dogs.

I will be grilling some pineapple for dessert.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

afratki

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 07:49:43 AM »
DivotMaker, I'll echo what UWFSAE said about finishing up the ribs on the grill, to me it's what makes them.

I made the ST. Louis style BBQ last night, great flavor but has a little more kick than I anticipated. Will this mellow some once the ingredients marry? (Don't get me wrong, I love the heat. I'm just thinking of my guests)

8 lb boston butt, homemade cole slaw, corn on the cob, and the normal burgers and dogs.

I will be grilling some pineapple for dessert.

You got me curious about the grilled pineapple, sounds good.
Andrew from Maryland

Let's Smoke!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 08:07:13 AM »
7# Boston Butt on the smoker at 6am tomorrow morning!  Today, 3 racks of ribs for a neighborhood party this afternoon.

Happy 4th!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

smokeasaurus

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 08:08:38 AM »
Bacon Burgers for the 4th. Friday night gonna put in a packer for a 20+ hour slo smoke for some pulled brisket sammies on Saturday.............oops..make that Saturday night for Sunday...My Cookies flavor enhancer won't be in until sometime late Friday............
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 11:27:36 AM by smokeasaurus »

es1025

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 08:35:02 AM »
1st time making the grilled pineapple, butter and sugar/cinnamon can't be bad.

I found the recipe on foodnetwork.com
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 05:55:18 PM »
DivotMaker, I'll echo what UWFSAE said about finishing up the ribs on the grill, to me it's what makes them.

I made the ST. Louis style BBQ last night, great flavor but has a little more kick than I anticipated. Will this mellow some once the ingredients marry? (Don't get me wrong, I love the heat. I'm just thinking of my guests)

It doesn't mellow much; I'd just back off of the cayenne a bit.  Last batch I made I used chipotle pepper instead of cayenne.  It was a bit milder, but the family all agreed they liked the cayenne better!  Go figure.  Heat is so subjective, I almost hate to recommend an amount.  I'm definitely finishing my next batch of spares on the grill, though!
Tony from NW Arkansas

afratki

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 06:34:10 PM »
I did mellow a little I think. My wife is the one worried, I think once it's on some meat it will be all deliciousness.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 11:03:10 PM by afratki »
Andrew from Maryland

Let's Smoke!

Bigumdaddyo

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 06:50:51 PM »
Going with brisket (12 lbs). Nothing fancy. Will try to keep it simple.

Question: Not sure which rack level to place it in my #3. I am thinking close to the top of the smoker. Should I inject it?
Larry from WA
Smokin-it #3
Char-griller stick burner

BHamel

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 11:13:58 PM »
8lb butt with Sarges simple rub.  Starting it at 5am.  Injecting with apple juice, pics to come tomorrow.
Ben from Ohio
Smokin-it IT guy!
Owner of a Model #3
If you can't smoke it!  You shouldn't be eating it!!

UWFSAE

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2013, 11:26:51 PM »
Daddyo,

I am an advocate of injecting brisket ... I think that, except of the VERY rare occasions I spring for Wagyu brisket, the typical choice brisket you find at most supermarkets could benefit from a little helping hand.

Here's the injection I use:

1 Cup   beef stock (Kitchen Basics Low Sodium Beef Stock)
1/4 Cup   Worchestershire sauce (French's)
1/4 Cup    Shiner Bock (or other decent beer ... flat, room temperature)
4 Tbsp   homemade brisket rub, run through a spice grinder to make it as fine as possible
2 Tbsp   Crystal Hot Sauce or Tabasco Chipotle Sauce

Use a decent stainless injector and inject at 1.0-1.25 inch intervals throughout the packer cut (excluding the fat cap).  Hold overnight in plastic wrap, remove and apply French's Yellow Mustard and a standard homemade brisket rub.  Choose your wood, set your temp and go find some beer to drink and some sports to watch.

And as far as Ben, I'm looking forward to the pics!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 11:28:38 PM by UWFSAE »
Joe from Houston, TX