Author Topic: Smoked Pork Fried Rice  (Read 3192 times)

afratki

• Owner: Smokin-It #1
Smoked Pork Fried Rice
« on: June 24, 2013, 11:51:53 AM »
I smoked a 8lb butt and after me, my wife, and a friend had pulled pork sandwiches I wondered what to do with 4- 5 lb of left over pork. We always get pork fried rice when we carryout Chinese so I thought I'd make a hardier version with some of the leftover smoked pork. It was really good so I thought I'd share. I made this on the fly so I'll apologize in advance for not have exact measurements for all the ingredients.

Ingredients:
2 cups (dry) rice
Smoked Pork (shredded, about 1.5 lbs)
1/2 sweet onion
1 bag of frozen pea/corn/green bean vegetables (thawed)
4 Eggs
Fish Sauce
Olive Oil
Black Pepper
Soy Vay Veri Veri Teriyaki
Green Onions
Cilantro

Prepare the rice per instructions on package. While that is cooking, chop up the onion and sweat them in a pan on hi heat with about a tablespoon of olive oil for about 5 minutes, then add the vegetables and cook another 5 minutes stirring frequently. Dump the contents in a bowl and set aside. In the same pan, scramble up the eggs chopping them up with a spatula as they cook, make sure they are very dry and crumbly. Add the onion/vegetable mix back into the pan and add fish sauce and black pepper to taste (I think I added about two teaspoons of each), let simmer for 10 - 15 minutes. Take the cooked and drained rice and fry up in another pan (I actually used a wok) with some olive oil (I guess about 1/4 cup). Once the rice starts getting crispy, add the pork, onion/vege/egg mixture, and Veri Veri Teriyaki to taste (I think I used about 1.5 - 2 cups). Heat for ten minutes or so, stirring in some chopped green onions at the last minute and garnishing with chopped cilantro.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 04:29:11 PM by afratki »
Andrew from Maryland

Let's Smoke!

Jerz

• Atlanta, GA
Re: Smoked Pork Fried Rice
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 10:24:28 AM »
That looks really good....
Why reinvent the wheel?  Get yer smoke on....
Smokin' with the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker for about a year.... Model 3 for a minute... Monitoring with the iGrill with the Android App... :D

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 12:00:56 PM »
Smoked pork fried rice.  What a wonderfully novel idea.  Thanks for sharing.

I generally vac seal my leftovers and freeze for later use.  I will have to try this. Or rather have my wife try it. She fixes fried rice all the time, both pork and chicken, so this will add some variety.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 10:21:36 PM »
Great idea, Andrew!  We're partial to chicken fried rice also; looks like a great recipe for leftover chicken, too!  Thanks for sharing a great idea that should have been "obvious" to us, but apparently wasn't!   :o
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

puddle jumper

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 05:57:49 PM »
Great idea!!
And looks really good,
Thanks
PJ
John from North Georgia
Smokin It #2 owner

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 04:11:18 PM »
Hi Andrew, thanks for the post and great ideas for leftovers is always welcome.

I regards to your recipe, I have gone throughout a lot of trial and error in making the perfect fried rice over the years and finally got it to a tee so I thought I would share.

I always use par boiled rice as it is best for fried rice. Other rice varieties tend to become mushy when frying and tends to stick to the pan or wok. I cook the rice in advance, then cool and refrigerate. Once cooled, pull from fridge, it will be hard and clumpy, simply squeeze with your hands and it will separate nicely to individual grains.

When you are ready to fry, what I do is fry chopped onions with garlic and peas, but I add a touch of sesame seed oil as it adds a nice flavor, then add a touch of garlic-chili sauce to the oil near the end then add the cooked chichen or pork near the end to heat up, then transfer to a bowl. Note: the chili adds a little heat, don't add if you don't want it spicy.

Once this is done, I am ready to fry my rice, but here is the secret, just before you fry the rice, add 1-2 raw eggs and mix the rice thoroughly, this will prevent the rice from sticking to the pan. The I fry the rice quickly, then add the meat/peas/onion mixture and soy sauce to taste.

Whenever I make this, everyone asks me for the recipe and how the rice stays separated. There is no right or wrong way and everyone has a preference, this is what has worked for me.

Thanks for the idea of adding the pulled pork, it's now on my checklist.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It