Author Topic: Trimming Pork Butt  (Read 6222 times)

afratki

• Owner: Smokin-It #1
Trimming Pork Butt
« on: June 20, 2013, 07:01:33 AM »
I'm preparing my pork butt to smoke and noticed a fairly thick (at least 1/4") pad of fat running the entire length of one side. I was wondering, is the general consensus to trim the fat off or not? Should I smoke fat side sown?
Andrew from Maryland

Let's Smoke!

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
Re: Trimming Pork Butt
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 07:38:31 AM »
Trimming a pork butt is a purely personal choice and is often dictated by the type of final prep (pulled, chunked or sliced) for serving.  If the fat is hard or rubbery, I'd be inclined to remove some ... if soft then it will like render and help promote flavor and moisture.  If you do trim it up a bit you'll likely have slightly better bark ... but risk losing some wonderful flavor.

I'm a fat-side-up guy ... but this is purely a personal belief as the science on this is somewhat divided.  Fat-side-down will have the fat facing direct heat and lead to greater rendering.  Fat-side up allows the shoulder to "self-baste" while in the smoker.

I realize I've given you a true non-answer but I'd be inclined to say try it one way and record your observations, then reverse the process next time you smoke a shoulder and compare the results to determine what you like best ... I don't think you're going to be disappointed with either orientation.
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

afratki

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 08:29:17 AM »
I posted this question after the fact and I figured it would be based mostly on personal preference but wanted to know. I appreciate you posting your insight and opinion.

My wife generally doesn't like fat so I ended up trimming a good portion away and will smoke fat side up. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Andrew from Maryland

Let's Smoke!

cundvale

Leave the fat in.
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 02:39:52 PM »
Smoke with the fat cap on the top.  Discard any visible fat left when you pull the butt.  Worked every time for me.

:)
Smokin-It #1

afratki

Re: Leave the fat in.
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 08:18:06 PM »
Smoke with the fat cap on the top.  Discard any visible fat left when you pull the butt.  Worked every time for me.:)

Kinda wish I had left it on now but live and learn. Well at least  I'll have something to compare to next time.
Andrew from Maryland

Let's Smoke!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 10:37:01 PM »
Got any pics?  I buy my butts in the 2-packs at Sam's Club, and they come pretty-well trimmed.  I just trimmed off a little of the "dangling" fat that they missed, and a few spots of the connective tissue (which does not get tender).  I cooked with the fat-side up, due to the "self-basting" theory, and it turned out fantastic!

What rub/sauce did you use?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 10:38:32 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

ultrafirebike

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 10:10:08 AM »
I usually cut off any of the fat that is hard....if you push your finger into it and it feels like hard cold fat, then it gets cut off...if it's soft and squishy I leave it on since it will melt away anyway and usually pulls off easily in the end.
Ultrafirebike
I will ride anywhere to try BBQ
North America is my local Riding area

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 08:22:42 PM »
I usually cut off any of the fat that is hard....if you push your finger into it and it feels like hard cold fat, then it gets cut off...if it's soft and squishy I leave it on since it will melt away anyway and usually pulls off easily in the end.

Me too!  Just makes sense that the really dense fat is probably not going to be good.  I guess it melts a little, but I'd rather use that real estate for the rub to soak in! :P
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

afratki

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 10:00:28 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion ultrafirebike, makes sense.
Andrew from Maryland

Let's Smoke!

Thin Blue

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 10:04:44 PM »
I score the fat in a diamond pattern, fat renders better and rub gets to meat better.
Have: Tejas stick burner roll top and a Smokin-it #3 w/ Auber

Had: Brinkmann vertical charcoal, wore out; Old Smoky, not to my liking sold; Brinkmann Pro offset, gave to friend;  Sams Club propane smoker, junk, returned to SAMs; 2 Brinkmann vertical electric, wore out.

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 10:22:59 PM »
I score the fat in a diamond pattern, fat renders better and rub gets to meat better.

Good tip, Blue!  And I bet it looks cool, too...like a ham that's scored when you bake it!  8)
Tony from NW Arkansas

BHamel

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 11:19:54 PM »
I will occasionally trim all of the fat, and put 1 to 2 lbs of cheap/fatty bacon on top in its place.  Just my own thing.   :D
Ben from Ohio
Smokin-it IT guy!
Owner of a Model #3
If you can't smoke it!  You shouldn't be eating it!!