Author Topic: Jerk Pork SHoulder  (Read 1423 times)

BBQueen

Jerk Pork SHoulder
« on: December 20, 2020, 09:02:41 AM »
I am trying this recipe...(for the marinade) with a few tweaks...

https://www.food.com/recipe/jamaican-jerk-pork-10467?ftab=tweaks

First I used a poblano and 1 habenero - since it is a marinade I didn't bother taking the skin off the poblano....it all went into the blender.

I put it all in the blender and turned into into a loose paste.

I roughly doubled the amounts to have some extra to make a sauce and substituted Apple Cider vinegar instead of malted vinegar...(I plan on getting some to eat the pork with, dipping sauces of malt vinegar and some smooth and sweet jerk sauce)

I picked this recipe as it was one of the few that lines up with a book I have on Caribbean BBQ...no brown sugar....and the jerk paste is green.

The 5 lbs. shoulder is marinading now, wrapped in plastic in glass baking dish in the marinading fridge. (we bought a smallish fridge for the basement for marinades and beer)

The cook plan is to program a cook on the new Auber controller for 3 hours at 200 the raise to 225, remove to wrap in foil and sauce.

I want to use pimento wood but have not been able to source locally, so one apple chunk and a small metal tin (tuna can or similar) of a tablespoon or so of whole allspice in water. I'll let that boil off and smolder the allspice.

The sauce: adding palm sugar to the remaining jerk paste plus some malt vinegar and spread over the shoulder with a spoon. At that point I will maker a call depending on the color and the flavor if I want to add more seasoning soy, and or dark molasses to the sauce....

Wrap it up in foil and return to the smoker for the remainder of the cook.

I think it would be nice to serve chunked with fried okra,  a colorful sweet vinegar slaw and some dipping sauces...

Eva in MKE
NEW! Smoke-IT Model #2 and the little house thing on top
Char-Broil Infrared Commercial Gas Grill
Old BBQPRO offset smoker
Old New Braunfels Grill
Various Marine Gas Grills (Magnum, Kaunna...)

OldeSmoker

Re: Jerk Pork SHoulder
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2020, 09:32:30 AM »
Sounds great, I look forward to see your results. I have not done jerk in my smoker but do jerk chicken on the grill. It is a family favorite. Happy smoking!
Paul from Southwest Missouri
*Smokin-It 3D-WiFi
with Bella’s CSG and The Stephanie Cabinet
*Members Mark SS 6 Burner Gas Grill with Sear Burner, Side Burner & Rotisserie
*River Grills Wood Fired Grill and Fire Pit
W/ Rotisserie and Dutch Oven Hanger

BBQueen

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2020, 09:42:27 AM »
Cook morning...

Put the Jerk Pork shoulder in  the smoker this morning....

I put a bundle of green onions and some sprigs of fresh thyme under the pork...and tossed a few allspice balls into the drip pan. Also on board is a small water vessel with some more thyme, garlic and allspice....will move that down smolder when I wrap the shoulder.

I gotta make a run to the south side Cermak for some okra and plantains....I saw a guy on American BBQ Challenge on netflix take plantain chunks, fry them then smash then into a star shape and fry again...they looked really good...and I want my partner to make fried okra to go with.

Yesterday we collabed on a habenaro mango hot sauce and a Jerk dipping sauce from the left over jerk paste. Those will be the dipping sauces. Well the habanero sauce will be a dripping sauce...lol

Also intersting, I recently updated my security camera to wAZE outdoor cams. (was using logitech Circle 2 for a few years) anyway these little camera have a crazy long battery life are weather proof and have a magnetic base and easy to move...(this one is within the locked backyard fence area) so I am using it to monitor the cook.

uber nerd...ino...

Eva in MKE
Old BBQPRO offset smoker
Old New Braunfels Grill

BBQueen

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2020, 09:50:58 PM »
Well...

The cook went way long.....almost 9 hours...to get to 170 internal....ambient temp didn't vary much beyond or below 38 F

Right now the meat is resting  re-wrapped...taste test is positive but the meat seems not loose enough to slice and eat...

Heading to the fridge and will be chopped up into chunks and cooked longer in a slow cooker tomorrow....is my guess...

I am somewhat disspointed...in my effort..
Eva in MKE
Old BBQPRO offset smoker
Old New Braunfels Grill

barelfly

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2020, 10:35:28 PM »
For pork shoulder, maybe cooked upwards of 190 for chunks? I usually cook up to 195-198 to pull it. Hopefully the slow cooker will get it where you want it. At least the flavor profile is what you were wanting. That’s the key to me. You can fix the texture with a longer cook.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

BBQueen

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2020, 01:07:08 PM »
Thanks for the advice...

It was a bit disappointing not getting the cook all the way finished last night and my plan was altered...dejected I put the shoulder wrapped in the fridge last night.

New day... I cut the shoulder into chunks this morning and put it in the crock pot with the dark jerk sauce I made, a cup of water and a couple tablespoons of jerk paste. It has cooked down nicely and I just ate a little lunch from it.

Jerk Pork Street Tacos....jerk pork, warm white corn tortilla, drizzled with  habanero mango hot sauce, made last night and a little Pickapeppa...with some diced purple onion and a pinch of finishing salt.

I must say, holy wow....it was really delicious a few hours in the crock pot...with the dark sauce.... I was shocked...

My partner said last night....no way not going to do jerk taco at the taco shop....(but I think he will sing a different tune after eating one) 

The Yucatan peninsula is essentially in the carribean sea I told him....lol

Here is the habanero mango sauce recipe:

Base recipe is here https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/chili-pepper-recipes/hot-sauces/caribbean-style-mango-habanero-hot-sauce-video/
I modified it some...upping the amounts some and adding orange, lemon and lime juice, depending on how sweet or acidic the mango is. It is okay for it to seem a little on the citrus side as long as the heat and sweet are there....this is a condiment after all...and is meant to enhance what you are eating.

Depending on the sweetness of your mango, adjust the sugar and OJ accordingly...you want a nice balance between sweet, hot, citrus and mango...a good balance starts sweet in front, heat builds in the back and sour hits the sides then the mango cools it all off....

3 fresh habenaro peppers (add more it gets hotter - mango tends to nullify the heat after a few  seconds in your mouth)
2 ripe mangoes
1 cup of orange juice (more if needed)
1/2 cup water (if needed)
2 T lemon juice
2 T lime juice
4-5 cloves of garlic
1 medium white onion peeled and quartered
1 t. salt (more if desired during cooking)
1 t cumin
1 t ground ginger
1/4 cup cider vinegar (more if desired during cooking)
1 t of cilantro seeds
4-5 allspice berries or 1 t of ground allspice
1 T sugar (optional)
Find and slice along mango seed sides to remove seed and cut in half. SLice a cross hatch in pattern in the flesh and then lay flat and slice the cubes of mango out...might be a bit stringy that's okay.

Put everything in the blender. Blend away.

Pour through strainer into 1 qt. sauce pan...you will have to work it with a rubber spatula...

Heat the sauce to boil reduce and simmer to desired thickness....I like it to just coat  a spoon...add vinegar, salt and or sugar to get desired salty,tang and sweet combo .
 Cool and pour into a squeeze bottle. refrigerate, enjoy for 3 months.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 09:13:13 AM by BBQueen »
Eva in MKE
Old BBQPRO offset smoker
Old New Braunfels Grill

mike1910

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2020, 09:57:40 PM »
Thanks for sharing! The mango habanero sounds amazing! I may have to steal the recipe and give it a shot.
Mike from NE Minnesota
SI #3