Author Topic: Meatloaf (Elevated!)  (Read 3695 times)

Walt

Meatloaf (Elevated!)
« on: September 20, 2014, 11:52:45 AM »
Meatloaf..... I have yet to try this....sooooo, here goes.

Yesterday i combined a mixture of 2lbs 80/20 ground beef, 1lb jimmy dean hot sausage, 2/3 of a medium chopped onion, some fresh chopped garlic, bell pepper, japaleno, an egg, some bread crumbs, rub for seasoning & a little bbq sauce.  I formed them up in a regular loaf pan & 2 mini loaf pans & placed in the fridge to firm up for today.

I then took a few lbs of tomatoes cut them in half & put in a dutch oven. Cooked them down & removed the skins from the pot.  Added a tbs of sugar, 1 star anice, 1/2 vanilla bean (cut in half lengthwise & scraped), salt & pepper & about 10 whole pieces of garlic.  I allowed this to reduce at a simmer for a couple of hours.  Just prior to finishing I added some quality olive oil.  At this point i usually add some fresh basil but will add this just prior to serving.

My intention is to use this homemade, very light & refreshing, tomato sauce instead of ketchup, with mozzarella pearls & fresh sliced basil.

I use this same basic process when I make meatball po-boys, except the bread gets split & toasted in the oven with grated parm (keeps the bread from getting soggy) prior to the meatballs & red gravy being added.  I then add mozzarella pearls & place back under the broiler & then add fresh basil.  Classic italian flavors.  This should also work well with meatloaf & mashed potatoes.  We will see.  I will post pictures later.

It was a success!  The cook took just over 2 hours @ 225 to reach IT 160.  I used about 2 oz pecan.  Once placed on the seafood rack, i slathered on some of the red gravy prior to starting up the smoker.

Mashed some potatoes & made a salad of fresh basil, baby kale, baby spinach, & radish greens.  I made a quick pickle of cucumber, onion & radish & added a tbs of greek garlic spread & some olive oil.  Then tossed with salad.

Once out of the smoker, the meatloaf was sliced, more red gravy was added as was mozzarella.  It was then placed under the broiler for the cheese to melt.  Once melted, it was removed & fresh basil strips were sprinkled over to top along with a few pieces of the slow cooked garlic from the sauce.

The meatloaf was moist & the smoke was a light background note to the overall flavor profile.  Unfortunately, I was not able to get a picture.  However, there is a little leftover.  Tomorrow I will put together another plate & take a picture before consumption.

Overall, I was very pleased with my 1st smoked meatloaf.  This is another receipe I will repeat.  Enjoy, we did.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 12:26:12 PM by Walt »
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Meatloaf (Elevated!)
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 12:58:25 PM »
This sounds awesome!
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 02:01:22 PM »
I'm not a big meatloaf guy, but that sounds awesome!  I expect nothing less than your usual excellence, Walt! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 05:03:40 PM »
Me too... Not a huge meatloaf fan... But any time I'm smoking something I throw on 2-5 lbs of meat almost in a cylindrical shape.

The result... Is usually some thick cuts used to have on the grill with cheese for home made meatloaf cheeseburgers.

These are a hit at tailgate parties and bonfires.
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 11:29:33 AM »
Did it hold its shape OK during the smoke, or did it want to sag a bit? 
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Walt

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 11:59:38 AM »

The shape was the same as when it went in.  No change.  The only negative I found was it was slightly dense.  I may have overworked it when mixing.
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 12:07:46 PM »
Thanks, Walt. 
Tony from NW Arkansas

Walt

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 12:27:43 PM »
Early lunch.  Pictures are up!
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 01:28:51 PM »
Nice job, Walt!  Great looking pictures! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas