Author Topic: Virgin Brisket  (Read 4044 times)

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Virgin Brisket
« on: July 05, 2015, 03:06:55 PM »
Putting this off long enough, I purchased a 8# brisket flat yesterday.  Brined for 9 hours, then rubbed for an overnight rest using Jeff Phillips Texas rub.  On the smoker today at 6am with 3 oz of hickory and 3 oz of mesquite at 225F.   By 9 am, it was at 178IT and removed at 1pm at 196IT.  I was hoping for a later removal around 2pm or so, but nevertheless, it is now resting in the cooler, double foiled and towels.  Looking to slice around 5pm.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Virgin Brisket
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 03:56:45 PM »
That's pretty, Steve! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 04:20:40 PM »
Steve,

Looks good, enjoy!

Greg

Grampy

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 04:48:31 PM »
Steve, let us know if it tastes as good as it looks.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 06:25:51 PM »
WOW!  This bad boy was excellent!  Even in the cooler for 4 hours, I could not believe how great it tasted, and I was not hesitant to share some with neighbors.   The Jeff Phillips Texas rub gave it a nice taste, and the fat top was very sweet.  Next time though, I will either trim the fat top back or smoke it with the fat top on the bottom...this time I had the fat side on top but it did not render down enough.  All in all, though, I am very pleased with the end result.  My virgin brisket is in the books.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 06:30:35 PM »
WOW!  This bad boy was excellent!  Even in the cooler for 4 hours, I could not believe how great it tasted, and I was not hesitant to share some with neighbors.   The Jeff Phillips Texas rub gave it a nice taste, and the fat top was very sweet.  Next time though, I will either trim the fat top back or smoke it with the fat top on the bottom...this time I had the fat side on top but it did not render down enough.  All in all, though, I am very pleased with the end result.  My virgin brisket is in the books.

Steve,

I always go with fat cap down when I inject!

Nice smoke.

Greg

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 06:32:37 PM »
Glad your virgin briskie was a success, Steve!  I like to trim the thick fat cap to about 1/4" thick, and score it (to accept brine/rub/smoke).  I am also in the fat-side-down camp.  Looks fantastic!!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 06:34:36 PM »
I was concerned about how dry the meat might end up, so after wrestling with this all night, I decided to go with the fat cap up.   I think it would have been fine if I had trimmed off some of the fat.  As it turns out, the fat top was actually pretty tasty. 
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 06:36:08 PM »
Thanks, Divot!  I did score it, but I agree with you that I should have trimmed some off.  Next time, I will try the fat side down.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2