Author Topic: To wrap or not to wrap???  (Read 4737 times)

TexasSmoke

To wrap or not to wrap???
« on: July 03, 2015, 06:09:11 PM »
I am going to smoke another brisket on my #3 this weekend.  I am now hooked on the barbeque pit masters show and they all wrap their briskets.  I was thinking about trying this.

It looks like most say this is an unneeded step in an electric smoker.  Any thoughts / pros / cons?
Smokin-It 3 & Auber PID, Viking outdoor grill

Ron from League City, TX

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: To wrap or not to wrap???
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 06:36:03 PM »
Ron,

Just an extra step that will not improve the end result unless you are short on time and need to do the Texas Crutch.

Greg

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 07:17:08 PM »
I never wrap and they always turn out perfect.
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 07:25:02 PM »
Ron,

Until a few months ago, I had never seen a Barbeque Pit Masters show. Now I think I have seen most of them and I find them interesting, but mostly I am looking for new smoke ideas.

The one thing to remember is that all smokers are work differently, so it is important to learn  what it takes to get the job done with your smoker.

The great thing about reading the forums here is that you can become a (let's not say master) but a dang good smoke guy in a short time.

Feel free to experiment and please post your results good and bad and more importantly your recipes.

Greg

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 08:45:25 PM »
And I'm an always wrapper.  I prefer the steaming effect for the last half of the smoke. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 04:27:49 PM »
I never wrap, while cooking.  Foil is for wrapping during the rest, and for the bottom of the smoker!  When using a water pan, and the right prep on the meat, you get moist brisket.  Remember - the guys & gals on the TV show are using traditional smokers; they have to use those techniques to counter the drying effect of the heat source, we don't.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

va_rider

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 10:55:37 PM »
Honestly, I used a water pan on my last brisket, and I won't  do it again. I don't think it added anything tit, it, and it didn't allow as good of a bark to form.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2
Not a smoking newbie, but a Smokin-It newbie.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2015, 11:03:27 PM »
Honestly, I used a water pan on my last brisket, and I won't  do it again. I don't think it added anything tit, it, and it didn't allow as good of a bark to form.
Aaron, you really hit the nail on the head.  If you really like bark, don't wrap.  If you like all your meat tender, then wrap. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

va_rider

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 08:14:25 AM »
The inner meat was still incredibly tender without wrapping or a water pan.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2015, 02:29:14 PM »
Aaron, if you're not getting good bark, using a water pan, it's probably your rub - not the water pan.  I never fail to get incredible bark on long smokes, or even ribs, using a water pan.  Rubs that don't have the right mix of sugar in them will rarely produce a good bark.  You need a little sugar for the "Maillard reaction" to occur (bark formation).  Up to you to not use a water pan, of course, just adding my 2ยข!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

va_rider

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2015, 03:29:10 PM »
My rub hasn't changed. The water pan is the only thing that changed between great bark, and not great bark. My rub has plenty of sugar in it.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2015, 03:55:59 PM »
My rub hasn't changed. The water pan is the only thing that changed between great bark, and not great bark. My rub has plenty of sugar in it.

All righty, then. 
Tony from NW Arkansas

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2015, 04:11:12 PM »
Truly there is no simple answer to this.

If you are using a wood fired offset smoker or something like an Ole Hickory Commercial rig then you should wrap, SOMETIMES. The main reason those guys on Pitmasters are wrapping is they are cooking high heat and short hours. Going 275 for eight hours is normal for them, I heard them discussing it on last night's show.

I make a couple hundred pounds of brisket in an Ole Hickory SSG five nights a week. They go 14 hours unwrapped at 220 and are perfect. However if the overnight smoke is not started prior to 4:30 PM, I will have to wrap in the morning. Those briskets & butts would be smoking 11 to 12 hours at 220 until 6:30 AM, then NEED an additional 1.5 to 2 hours wrapped at 270 to be tender.

However if I were making a brisket at the house in my #3, I would never consider wrapping. I would set it for 225 and let it run 14 hours for an average 7-11 pound brisket.
With a water pan in place there is no reason to open that smoker until time has elapsed.

My opinion on Brisket bark is when rubbing them, if you are at the point where you think "It looks good but needs more rub..." Stop applying rub, less is more on brisket, unlike butts and ribs where I prefer "Sandy Beaches"
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2015, 04:13:46 PM »
Man, I bet you see dancing briskets in your sleep, Brian! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas