Author Topic: Variety smoke after a smoke  (Read 3943 times)

Booray

• Greg
Variety smoke after a smoke
« on: July 07, 2015, 09:15:00 PM »
I'm doing a butt this weekend for a party. After the butt is done, I would like to put 2 racks of stuffed jalapeƱos on the bottom, a 2.5 lb sausage rope in the middle and a pan of corn bread on the top rack. This would be going into the smoker while it was still hot, am I asking too much of the #2?
Greg from Ohio

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Variety smoke after a smoke
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 09:21:27 PM »
You'll be OK, Greg!  Just leave the door open for a bit to let the interior cool.  It doesn't have to be cold - that's more important for raw meat.  But, be careful pulling the wood box out to replenish!  I use tongs to pull it out enough to open the lid, then carefully restock with wood, and put it back in place.  It'll still be pretty hot!

Let me recommend pre-heating a cast iron skillet (if you have one) for the cornbread!  Grease it with Crisco lightly, then pour the mix in just before putting it in the smoker.  Nothing beats cast iron skillet cornbread, imo!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 09:23:21 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

drains

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 09:48:36 PM »
Use bacon grease if you have some.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

Booray

• Greg
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 09:55:58 PM »
I don't have a cast iron skillet but want one. Any suggestions for ones of high quality but easy to season?
Greg from Ohio

drains

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 10:16:18 PM »
Mine are made by lodge. Got some of mine at garage sales some at various stores. Lodge comes pre seasoned. Been very satisfied with it. Seasoning a cast iron skillet is easy.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 11:10:39 PM »
All old cast iron skillets are easy to season.  The trick is making them clean first!

Check youtube for various peoples opine.

Personally I use:

Zep commercial spray cleaner for ovens (cheaper than exz off)
HUGE zip lock bag
Let sit for a few days
Rinse with steel wool.

REPEAT if needed on how dirty pan is.  Can take 4 to 5 times.
Scrape down sides with knife.  Depending on how dirty pan is.

Repeat, repeat, take your time.  It works

To season, brush small amount of Crisco on pan, LIGHT AMOUNT.  Pad or with towel

Bake at 325 for and hour 1/2 and then crank up to 450.  Once it hits 450 turn oven off and rest till cool to touch.

Repeat if it looks too dry.   

TIP, dont load up on the crisco, a thin layer works fine.  Just keep baking it on.

I personally like the older pans, griswold or wagner.  If you want a griswold get a LARGE LOGO bottom, the small logo bottom ones are thicker and newer casting.   

A #8  or #7 griswold is a good size for a #2 smoker

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

KY Smoke

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 11:29:44 PM »
Greg, you can actually get Lodge cast iron skillets and cookware at Walmart now.  12" skillet is $20 and still made in USA.  Cracker Barrell was even carrying Lodge for a while and may still be.  These are new, clean and pre-seasoned.  You may want to take a look before you go looking for used ones.

But Tony's right, nothing better than some JalapeƱo cornbread in a cast iron skillet.  Hadn't thought about putting some smoke on it too, but will be attempted soon!

Booray

• Greg
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 08:36:49 AM »
Thanks All
Greg from Ohio