Author Topic: Hi all............. from West Mich .  (Read 15629 times)

OFFSHORE GINGER

Hi all............. from West Mich .
« on: November 09, 2014, 12:48:17 PM »
Well Guys & Gal's i am new to the forum and not to mention that i am having a hard time trying to decide if i should purchase a #1 ( small guy ) or the # 2 , and should i get the cart considering this will be my first Smoker , and most likely will only be cooking for two ( Wife & I ) with one exception on occasion maybe a guest or two ? Thank you for your input .
[I[I .............

OFFSHORE GINGER

Re: Hi all............. from West Mich .
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 03:47:38 PM »
Quick question ............................on average even though it clearly states that Model # 1 can smoke up to 21 pounds of product ( meat / food ) and being curious before i purchase a smoker .........just how many slab's of ribs , whole chicken , and brisket , have any of you cooked successfully at one setting on model #1 .........
[I[I .............

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 04:12:26 PM »
Hi Ginger,

Since I have a model 1 and a model 2, I'm probably qualified to address your questions! ;)

Short answer:  Get the #2 if your budget affords it.  And, in my opinion, yes to the cart (makes life a lot easier).

Longer answer (get comfortable): 

I bought the #1 due strictly to budget reasons.  I had never had a "real" smoker (always made-due with makeshift smokers in the past), but didn't have any idea how this would work.  So, I wanted to go the cheapest route and bought a #1.  While I was very impressed with the smoker's performance, I have never been impressed with the size.  If you look back at my earliest posts on here, you'll see that from the beginning.  I smoke for me, my wife and son, on a regular basis.  Occasionally, I cook for more.

With the #1, you can do one whole pork butt (8-10 lbs) at a time.  You can also do a full packer-cut brisket, if you cut it in half.  One large chicken, or 3-4 racks of baby back ribs.  For a turkey, you can fit a 12-13 lb bird in there.

Enter the #2:  Wow!  What a difference a few inches makes!  The shelves are 15" x 15", and there are more of them.  Room to breathe!  I like the larger element (700 w vs. 400), and the vertical height inside, also.  Even smoking for 3 people is so much more pleasurable with the #2!  I'll still smoke the same amounts, but don't feel like I'm having to shoehorn the meat in there!  I can now do 2 butts at a time, and more of everything else.

I believe you would be happier with the #2, but the #1 is a great Q producer, too!  Both perform flawlessly, but I prefer the size of the #2.  I do not need the size of a #3, but wouldn't mind having one - just to fit full briskets in, without cutting!

Let us know how else we can help! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

OFFSHORE GINGER

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 07:02:15 PM »
Tony , thank you ever so much ,and from the looks of things......bigger is going to be better but now i am pondering the idea of getting the model #3 after your last post but............... most likely will go with model #2 , with a cart for starters just to see how things go considering i am so green at this .
[I[I .............

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 07:14:12 PM »
The #3 is no doubt a formidable beast!  I'm sure some of our #3 owners will chime-in on why it's the best choice.  But, I'm one that believes in meeting needs.  Honestly, while I'd like to have a #3, I know it's more than I'll ever need - or justify.  Plus, it takes more room and is quite a bit heavier than the #2. 

Now that I have you confused, wait to hear what some others have to say before deciding! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 12:54:35 AM »
Get a #2, the jerky dryer and a cold plate. You can live without the cart until later, there is no substitute for the dryer and cold plate.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

OFFSHORE GINGER

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 12:17:19 PM »
Brian ............seeing that you are also from Mich and winter is almost here with snow falling this week could it be a concern with cook time and Temp settings due to falling temps when smoking out side during the winter months ?
[I[I .............

OFFSHORE GINGER

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 12:21:06 PM »
Just a thought ...........................has anyone on here ever tried doing a Pigs head on there Smoker because that is some good eatin .   ;)
[I[I .............

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 12:54:11 PM »
Brian ............seeing that you are also from Mich and winter is almost here with snow falling this week could it be a concern with cook time and Temp settings due to falling temps when smoking out side during the winter months ?

I live in ND and have smoked in -15 to -20 degree Fahrenheit weather and never had a problem. The only thing you may need to monitor is the fat volcano ;). Check out my thread (picture of fat volcano toward the end of the thread) from last winter:

Overnight lows projected at -15F, but I am smoking anyway!
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1515.msg8388#msg8388
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 12:55:01 PM »
Just a thought ...........................has anyone on here ever tried doing a Pigs head on there Smoker because that is some good eatin .   ;)

Brian (PorkBelly) did one of these last year. I tried looking for the thread, but couldn't find it. I am guessing he will chime in on this one.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 01:57:24 PM »
I just finished a nice lunch of pig head tacos. So far I have done four heads in my #3 this last smoke was 2 heads for 12 hours. These two smoked while I was at work, they were very good but would have been better if the rack was rotated 180 degrees at the halfway point. One head at a time is a great smoke, I also do singles for 12 hours.
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1837.msg10838#msg10838

I wont post picks from the last two heads as they LOOK unappealing. They were from black hogs, the black skin plus twelve hours in the smoker makes them look like a cinder.

I have done hogs three ways, half a head, whole head, scalded, scraped and cross hatches cut in, and seared with a torch, scraped and rinsed. Torch, Scrape & rinse is easiest but the are all good. I did not apply any seasoning to the last two heads because I give my dog the crispy skin as treats and didn't want her to have the salt. I dont think there was any negative affect of not salting it.

This will be my first winter with my #3 however I am not concerned about the cold. I know the SI will do a better job than a Bradley or Walmart charcoal smoker I have used in the past.

You will need a #3 not a #2 if your going to do hog and steer heads. The guy at the slaughter house told me I can have all the pig heads I want for free. I don't regret buying the #3 over a #2 you wont either.

I'm down here at Exit #1 off I94 where are you?
- Sigmund Freud

OFFSHORE GINGER

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2014, 05:15:17 PM »
Brian , thank you , and to tell you the truth i am really somewhat bent out of shape on what model i should really order (  # 2 or # 3 ) which just might take a little time considering one side of the Brain say's................... two.............with the other side telling me that it should be three ..........hmmmmmmmmmm , LOL. Well needless to say this is my location ....................Holland Mich which is a ......... stones throw from the State Park .
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 06:43:36 PM by OFFSHORE GINGER »
[I[I .............

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 12:44:06 AM »
We love Holland, our son is a Junior and three year starter at Hope College. Go Dutch! Stop by the tailgate this Saturday and say hi and grab a burger.

I said buy the #2 when you were talking about a #1 or a #2. Now that you are contemplating a #2 or a #3, I say get the #3. Drive over and pick it up you will likely save $130.00 on shipping. Get the #3 add the dryer and cold plate later, that's what I have done and don't regret it.
- Sigmund Freud

OFFSHORE GINGER

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2014, 11:13:14 AM »
We love Holland, our son is a Junior and three year starter at Hope College. Go Dutch! Stop by the tailgate this Saturday and say hi and grab a burger.

I say get the #3. Drive over and pick it up you will likely save $130.00 on shipping.
Wow................ what a small world that your Son is attending Hope College , and not to mention that the overall campus & area ( Holland ) is very nice also . Brian , just curious when you say drive over and pick it up where is that ?  :-\
[I[I .............

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2014, 11:21:08 AM »
When you consider how long these smokers will last and how little more it costs than the #2, it is hard not to spring for the #3.

Smokin-It is located at:

9851 West Territorial Rd
PO Box 255
Montgomery, MI 49255

So, if it is not too far away you can take a drive and save a lot of shipping. Plus you will get to meet the man himself (Steve - Owner).
Gregg - Fargo, ND