Author Topic: first smoke in No. 1  (Read 2587 times)

Redfisher

first smoke in No. 1
« on: December 26, 2014, 11:12:26 AM »
Hi folks.  I am in South Carolina and have been smoking fish, shellfish, foul and pork for many years.  Decided to make life a little easier by going all electric so I purchased the #1.  I didn't need to smoke quantity and like the expected efficiency of the #1.  Upon arrival and after seasoning, I smoked a 7# butt.  This butt took 16 hours to reach 195 which was not quite where it needed to be.  The smoker was set at 225 and was using a mechanical thermometer (through the vent hole) and suspect that the smoker was not maintaining the average quite high enough.  The smoker was never opened for the entire 16 hours.  I just received the Maverick that will allow me to monitor the smoker temp as I think this was the missing element.  Understand all of the variables with time, but the 16 hours was a little long and it was probably that I needed to jack the temp setting up a little to get the average smoking temp just a little higher.  Anyway, this is going to become the cat's meow once I fully understand everything that is going on.  Oh, did miss the smoke ring, but the flavor was excellent, just a little tougher (for pulling) than usual since it did not get just north of 200F.
Bob in the South Carolina Lowcountry

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: first smoke in No. 1
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 12:04:34 PM »
A little bit of experimentation is the key, Bob.   I have seen BBs go 2hrs/lb at 225F on my #2, and then sometimes they take less time.   With the Maverick, you will get a sense of where your #1 is averaging out when you set for 225.   Pulling the BB at 195IT should be fine if you then double wrap with foil and let it sit in a cooler for an hour or 2, which will allow the juices to redistribute as well as increase the IT of the butt.   
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 10:15:18 PM »
Welcome to the world of Lazy Q, Bob!  Sounds like you're off to a good start.  Steve is dead-on (as usual) - hope you double-wrapped in foil for at least a 1 hour rest before pulling.  I always remove butts at 195, and after resting, they pull very easy.  You also might consider brining your butts - this has worked very well for me.  Here's a link to the brine I use:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1608.0

I look forward to hearing/seeing your success stories!  We love pics around here!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Redfisher

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 09:53:56 AM »
Hi Steve and Tony, thanks for the welcome.  I did let it rest in the cooler wrapped in HD foil for 2 hours, but it still was a little on the harder to pull side.  I will experiment with the brining, but think I will just take the next one to 200 IT to see if that helps.  Do not get me wrong, I love this smoker.  I even love my charcoal and gas smokers but I think this is where I am going to fully migrate given that I can pretty much set it and forget it.  The days of tending the coals and regulating the flame are almost gone.  Think I will also get some of that pink salt to see if I can fake a smoke ring as I have read in other posts.  This is a great forum for learning and look forward to gleaning more ideas from the more experienced.
Bob in the South Carolina Lowcountry

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 11:43:28 AM »
Bob, the migration is painless, and it will likely happen (just like the rest of us).  As for the fake smoke ring, make sure you get Instacure #1 (or Prague powder #1, as it's also called).  This salt is for liquid brining, and it doesn't take much.  I only use 1 tsp. in a gallon of brine.  It's just for appearance, which I kind of like! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 12:35:38 PM »
Try 235 for butts... I think I read that somewhere and enjoy that temp a bit more because it is still awfully low and helps fight through some of the awkward smoke time that run more than 2 hrs/lb.

Hey as for fake smoke ring... What's the best way? A piece of charcoal or brining with i stature?
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

Walt

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2014, 01:05:30 PM »
You wont get a smoke ring with the charcoal either.  I use a few pieces regularily & I have never seen any ring.  The instacure is really the only way to go if thats what your looking for.  Its not a guessing game, make sure you use the proper amount.  I use it in my equillibrium brines which will sit in the fridge for up to a week.  It will keep the bad stuff from forming and as a side it gives the elusive, albiet fake, smoke ring.  Use Martin's formula located in Divots primer in Equillibrium Brine 101 in the Brine & Marinade section.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2014, 06:48:29 PM »
Thanks. I have yet to dedicate time on the equilibrium brine!

I guess I am just too pleased with a normal overnight brine and the SI magic box😉🍷🎉
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!