Author Topic: Just got the big batch of jerky in #3  (Read 2663 times)

Lonzinomaker

Just got the big batch of jerky in #3
« on: July 27, 2018, 01:18:33 PM »
Going to start wheat harvest Monday and need some snacks for the combine driver and other truck driver.
Sliced up a 8.5# eye of round for Teriyaki jerky. Used 1/2 Soy Vay marinade and 1/2 my own connoction for the marinade X14 hrs. Pic shows the pellet tube getting started on top of smoker.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Just got the big batch of jerky in #3
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 08:43:01 PM »
Soy Vay is makes good jerky. I always add 1 tsp cure #1 to every five pounds of meat.

Are you running a jerky fan? I like the low temp pellet tube. I think too many folks use too much heat making jerky. I'm a big fan of low temp jerky.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

1stlink

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 02:01:22 PM »
Going to start wheat harvest Monday and need some snacks for the combine driver and other truck driver.
Sliced up a 8.5# eye of round for Teriyaki jerky. Used 1/2 Soy Vay marinade and 1/2 my own connoction for the marinade X14 hrs. Pic shows the pellet tube getting started on top of smoker.
Looks good Dave. Happy harvesting, hopefully you have a bumper crop. Question: How hot does the smoker get with the Pellet tube only? I may try that on salmon I'm smokin this week.

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 05:29:32 PM »
SeldomInn:  Using the tube only doesn't add too much heat.  I only smoke for 1 hour before turning fan and heat on and then remove tube after 2-3 hours (taste test determines when there is enough smoke) .  I usually turn smoker temp up to 150 for 2 hours. Then turn heat up to 180-200 and keep it there until done. I do make a foil bridge to tip one end of tube off floor of smoker, it will keep burning that way.
This batch took 10 hours to get dry enough where I felt it was done.

Pork Belly: I use a jerky fan I made from pvc and a 120v cooling fan. Details are in another post "Making Jerky for first time in SI #3". I agree with low heat. Keeping the heat lower seems to leave it tender. I also use #1 Prague Powder for safety's sake.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 05:31:46 PM by Lonzinomaker »
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

1stlink

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 12:27:24 PM »
Thanks Dave I’m smoking some salmon today and started with the tube only  for the first one and a half hours with alder  pellets. Temps ran around 110° Which is what I want for starting. I just started up the pid at 125° And will continue up from there 140, 170 etc., until the salmon is at 140° IT
 My only concern now is “too much smoke“  :-\
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 12:32:40 PM by SeldomInn »

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2018, 05:19:50 PM »
turn smoker temp up to 150 for 2 hours. Then turn heat up to 180-200 and keep it there until done

This makes me a little sad each time I see it. Jerky is so much better IMO, when it is dried at low temp and not dried at cooking temps. Give it a try sometime.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud