Author Topic: Smoked Bison Burgers & Oven Baked Fries  (Read 3491 times)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Smoked Bison Burgers & Oven Baked Fries
« on: March 27, 2015, 08:26:18 PM »
For dinner tonight I smoked 2 bison patties seasoned with salt/pepper and then lightly sprayed with olive oil.

Smoker set to 225 degrees, 2 oz. hickory, remove from smoker at 135 Degrees (about 45 minutes).

Place patties on 550 degrees cast iron insert on grill for 2 minutes each side, pull at 155 degrees. Let rest under foil for 5 minutes and enjoy.

My wife Lynn likes onions and relish on her burger, I grilled a slice of prosciutto and then topped my burger with swiss cheese.

The burgers were very juicy and Lynn said they were great. I thought the smoke was a bit much, but still tasted good, next time less smoke or a different wood.....

Thoughts?

Greg

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Smoked Bison Burgers & Oven Baked Fries
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 08:58:48 PM »
We have eaten a lot of Bison Burger (300+ pounds) and fund it's best no higher than 135, or a max of 140. I would have smoked cooler and shorter.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 09:52:39 PM »
Brian,

We have replaced ground meat with bison/buffalo in the last few years (Costco and bison from WY). Ground beef when even fresh has a off smell that bison does not.

In my opinion the cook time/temp did not difference, did I say they tasted great. Taste also vary, I am a medium/medium well type guy for my steaks and beef.

Next time, maybe 1 oz or cherry.

Greg
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 10:04:03 PM by gregbooras »

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 10:43:48 PM »
Fries look awesome to me.  Greg, did you flip a coin and figure a buffalo is closer to beef than all the other choices?  LOL!  Some cuts of meat I can eat bloody but ground meats aren't one of them.  I'd have ate your burgers with no reservations. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 02:41:32 AM »
Fries look awesome to me.  Greg, did you flip a coin and figure a buffalo is closer to beef than all the other choices?  LOL!  Some cuts of meat I can eat bloody but ground meats aren't one of them.  I'd have ate your burgers with no reservations.

Hey Dave,

Several years ago on a trip out west my wife and I tried buffalo burgers and were hooked. They have low fat and have more of an earthy smell. Not only are they good in burgers, but chili, tacos .....

I also agree, with a burger, I want something closer to medium or medium well.

Greg

P.S. I will post the fries recipes next for those interested.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 02:44:52 AM »

Hey Dave,

Several years ago on a trip out west my wife and I tried buffalo burgers and were hooked. They have low fat and have more of an earthy smell. Not only are they good in burgers, but chili, tacos .....

I also agree, with a burger, I want something closer to medium or medium well.

Greg

P.S. I will post the fries recipes next for those interested.

Here is a link to the fries
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=3099.0

Greg