Author Topic: Pork Injection  (Read 10234 times)

jpowell

• facebook
Re: Pork Injection
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2018, 02:35:28 PM »
I've not noticed more meat making any significant time difference in my 3D. I usually allow for 2hr/lb regardless. I also double wrap at 160F then bump up the temp to 240-250F if I'm in a hurry.
Here's the live temp readings from the single butt I've got in right now https://share.fireboard.io/BDD0FD
Jason
>3D (my 1st ever smoker!) purchased 4/16
>4 Analog acquired from the founder of Auber Instruments in 11/22 with twin internal auber convection fans. Converting to digital with auber AW-WST1510H-W
>IT Guy
>Autocross and track day junkie
>Far Northern Indiana

Judge

• Slowly learning to smoke great food !
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2018, 02:45:05 PM »
thanks for the help. have to get used to these long cooking times. Have it reheating now to take to our moose lodge for super bowl pregame. looks and tastes great.
Woodsfield Ohio - SI#2
Hunter, fisherman, golfer.

Jimeo

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2018, 03:01:20 PM »
I’ve also gotten in the habit of running at 200 for the first hour or so to decrease the chance of combustion.  I’m sure that has something to do with my longer than average cooking times. 

Enjoy the game!
Jim in Marietta Georgia
SI#2
Weber Genesis E-310

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2018, 08:00:29 PM »
I’ve also gotten in the habit of running at 200 for the first hour or so to decrease the chance of combustion.  I’m sure that has something to do with my longer than average cooking times. 

Enjoy the game!

Since I started using the little foil boats under my wood chunks, I find no need to ramp up the temp, and never have combustion.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Jimeo

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2018, 08:43:55 PM »
I’ve done/tried just about everything Tony.  Quality wood from Fruita and Smokinlicious, foil boat etc.  Now I run it with foil on the bottom of the smoke box, chip screen in and run at 200 for that first hour or so. Works for me, nice blue smoke the entire time.  More than happy to do a little extra fussing to get my best results...
Jim in Marietta Georgia
SI#2
Weber Genesis E-310

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2018, 08:59:00 PM »
Sounds like you have it dialed-in, Jim!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Jimeo

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2018, 09:05:20 PM »
I’m not sure about that! lol  I have figured out my machine, would imagine they all don’t perform the same.  My advice to any new SI owner would be just that.  Get to know your unit and adjust your methods from there... ;D
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 09:07:21 PM by Jimeo »
Jim in Marietta Georgia
SI#2
Weber Genesis E-310

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2018, 11:14:43 AM »
Jason, did the injection work okay for you? 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

jpowell

• facebook
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2018, 03:33:37 PM »
The injection was very good! I'll back off on the amount of Worcestershire next time though. Not as juicy as brined, but it was very good and didn't require the 13hr soak so that's a win!
Jason
>3D (my 1st ever smoker!) purchased 4/16
>4 Analog acquired from the founder of Auber Instruments in 11/22 with twin internal auber convection fans. Converting to digital with auber AW-WST1510H-W
>IT Guy
>Autocross and track day junkie
>Far Northern Indiana