Author Topic: Bella or Smoke Daddy Cold Smoke Generator  (Read 4392 times)

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Bella or Smoke Daddy Cold Smoke Generator
« on: March 21, 2020, 07:15:23 PM »
Not sure how many folks are thinking about getting a cold smoke generator or maybe replacing an existing one that is past it's prime but found a comparison between Bella and Smoke Daddy on YouTube.   It appears that a SI #4 is the smoker. Enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os7XsxWUiqI
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 09:59:52 AM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Lonzinomaker

Re: Bella or Smoke Daddy Cold Smoke Generator
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 10:33:21 PM »
I may have to get a Bella and do away with my MES/mailbox mod that I use only for cheese. That'll give me more room on the patio.
I like the side access more than the door. I also think I would get another exhaust fitting from Steve to put in the access hole on the side and make it a little nicer.  Course that would let me have a bottle of wine frequently so I could have a cork to close the opening when not using the Bella. :)
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 10:11:29 AM »
Seems like Steve already had the video posted on the store's site with the Bella.  That I did not know.  He chose the door because it can be removed and taken to a drill press and also made it possible to save people the time and trouble of doing it themselves. A drill Gide like the one on the link would help in ensuring that the hole is dead on through both the outer and inner wall.  I have had a Craftsman version for 20 plus years and it does come in handy.

https://www.amazon.com/wolfcraft-4525404-Muilt-Angle-Attachment-Drills/dp/B000JCIMEA
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

barelfly

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2020, 10:25:15 AM »
Thanks for the posts on these, David.

Are you thinking of gettting one? The door being removed so that you can have it done makes sense. I don’t know if I have the tools to do the cut on m own, but I didn’t look at the link you posted yet. Maybe that would just about do it for me. Need to think about this one.

Would be great to hear some other reviews if anyone else has this. I wonder how it works for hot cooks as well, saying that it can used for that in the description.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2020, 04:28:10 PM »
Jeremy - I don't do any cold smoking so really have no use for it HOWEVER I do like it and may get one sometime down the road just because.................
I don't know how many folks have purchased one; when it was being discussed here there seemed to be a certain amount of enthusiasm as well as those chiming in about using a Smoke Daddy and/or an A-Maze-n device. After watching the video, I would go with the Bella.   Hard to tell how many have been sold. Looks like Steve has a winner there, regarding low temp and long smoke times.  There have been a couple of folks who ordered the Bella and the door so that they could swap out doors and not worry about plugging the door if they wanted to store the hopper when not in use.  As for tools, look at this video.  The same folks who did the comparison did a repair on their #4.  Drills and Dremel. Seems pretty simple to cut thru the stainless, but maybe time consuming. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBekePGihUY
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 04:35:43 PM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Reeg

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 08:25:51 AM »
I did a writeup on the "Your Thoughts" thread, but caveat - I've only used it once so far. Steve told me that you can mix in small chips with the pellets if you prefer to do that. I will try that next. Also, Steve sells a pre-drilled door if you don't want to deal with drilling stainless steel.

https://www.smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=7435.60
Paul from SW New Hampshire
SI #2DW + Bella's CSG

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2020, 11:20:53 AM »
Very good video and seems like the Bella winds hands down!

I don't do enough cold smoking to warrant cutting holes into my smoker, but if I ever start to do more cold smoking I would definitely consider this.

I think I might still get a variable speed blower like the bella uses to assist with keeping my A-MAZE-N smoker's lit. The pump seems to be a widely available pump since it is the same pump that the Smoke Daddy uses.

All in all, it appears that the Bella is a real winner. It would be awesome if/when they start manufacturing all of the smokers with the holes pre-drilled so that users can add the accessories without drilling and have OEM options for plugging the holes when they are not used.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

PhilH

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2020, 11:30:55 AM »
I am highly interested in this.  Would like to see someone who has one post some pics, thoughts
Phillip   Ramsey MN

Glock_21

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2020, 09:59:53 PM »
I'm really happy with the Bella.  I bought it for the cold smoke option mainly for cheese.  I like a lot of smoke so I find myself using it almost all the time on meats.  I will let it run until the internal meat temp hits 140-150.
I put mine on the door since that part was removable and I could get it under the drill press.  I ended up going 5 inches up but only 4 inches over from the left.  I felt like that cleared the smoke box a little better.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 10:02:43 PM by Glock_21 »
Travis from North Central Oklahoma
SI #3 with Bella Smoke Generator, Traeger Texas Grill, Kamado Joe Classic 3 and Joe Jr, Anova WiFi 900 watt

PhilH

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2020, 01:20:24 PM »
After a few more NOT COLD but lower than your standard BBQ smoke sessions making snack sticks, jerky, and salmon, I am for sure ordering the cold smoker right now. 

The review video posted on the Smokin it website put it over the top.

You can go wrong, just using the cold smoker with pellets for a smoke like this one

120F.      1 hour
135F.      1 hour
150F.      1 hour
165F.      1 hour
180F.      To IT temp of 138F

That is what I do for bacon, just light the cold smoker, set the digital wi if to automatically adjust the temps, and sit back, and relax

Otherwise to generate the right amount of smoke I need a specific size of wood for each temp, or I get no smoke, or sooty smoke

Phillip   Ramsey MN

smokehead

• Self proclaimed Dead head, smoke head and hop head
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2021, 08:34:54 AM »
We have the Bella (and the #3.5D) and absolutely LOVE IT! We are now able to cold smoke 16lbs of lox at one time. We cold smoke raw chicken breast/thighs, chuck roast (for stew meat) and meat bones. We then throw them in the freezer and then use them in the crockpot, or other recipes later. The meat bones make the most awesome smoked soup you can every imagine! All cold smoking we do is once temps are no higher than 40 degrees. (So we were just able to get back to cold smoking). Next up is cheese and nuts...

Cold Smoking while letting meat rest
I have also found it VERY useful to cold smoke the meat as I am letting it rest out of the fridge before smoking. (You let your meat rest on the counter for an hour, right? Why not put it in a smokey heaven to wake up in...) That goes for anything. We do pork butt, beans and mac-n-cheese at the same time, so we let everything rest in the cold smoker.

Fuel:
After many experiments, I have to say only use wood shavings is the best way to go. There is still some moisture, but not like pellets, or the pellet/chip mix. I really like either straight Alder (or mixing in some Apple really gives it a nice profile). Here is my go to:
Camerons Products Smoking Chips ~ (Alder) - 2 Pound Bag, 260 cu. in. - Kiln Dried, Natural Extra Fine Wood Smoker Sawdust Shavings -Barbecue Chips
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q5B3VL3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Keep on smokin!
G&A
Cheers,
George

1st smoker, pellet tube cold smoker
2nd smoker, Smokin-It #3.5D with Bella Cold Smoker

Self proclaimed Dead head, Hop Head and Smoke Head!